time trial injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffk

Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical injuries & health problems
sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling I'm giving, as part
of my degree.

Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff

"JeffK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical injuries & health problems
> sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling I'm giving, as
> part of my degree.
>
> Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff

you had better hope your supervisor's not reading this NG...research culled from usenet is unlikely
to be a big winner...

-Luigi

JeffK wrote:
> Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical injuries & health problems
> sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling I'm giving, as
> part of my degree.
>
>

I've heard that injuries are relatively rare in TT as one would expect. However, I've heard
that those accidents that do occur tend to be severe, such as head injuries where, say, a
car or obstruction comes onto what should be a closed course. There is a tendency to keep
your head down, and as some have pointed out, that is a mistake. Read the section on
individual time trial in Eddie B's "Bicycle Road Racing".

Steve

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical injuries & health problems
>sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling I'm giving, as part
>of my degree.

If you are Chris Boardman, injuries from crashing are the more typical type. :)
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

>If you are Chris Boardman, injuries from crashing are the more typical type.
>:)

Not to mention Alan Kingsberry, who got hit by a dump truck (or was it a cement mixer?) while on the
way to winning the US Time Trial Nationals wayyyyyy back when.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[email protected] Keeper of the Humour List at http://members.aol.com/PirateJohn/pirate1.html

"Mother, mother ocean... I have heard your call" - Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate Looks At Forty.

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >
> >Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
injuries
> >& health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling
> >I'm giving, as part of my degree.
>
> If you are Chris Boardman, injuries from crashing are the more typical
type. :)

Or, Tyler Hamilton, or Alessandro Petacchi.

GG

> -----------------
> Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

news:[email protected]...
> Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
injuries
> & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling
> I'm giving, as part of my degree.

I got a bleeding crotch from chafing during a from a team time trial. Around 2000 and I think the
TTT was about 40 miles. Little problems with the skin and improper clothing are magnified from
staying in a TT position for a long time.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"GaryG" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> > >
> > >
> > >Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
> injuries
> > >& health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial
> > >cycling I'm giving, as part of my degree.
> >
> > If you are Chris Boardman, injuries from crashing are the more typical
> type. :)
>
> Or, Tyler Hamilton, or Alessandro Petacchi.

Graeme Obree who went flying off into the crowd riding his egg position.

Crashing in ITT. by professional cyclists. How the hell do these guys do it?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Crashing in ITT. by professional cyclists. How the hell do these guys do it?
They do it very quickly. That is why they are professionals.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "JeffK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
injuries
> > & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial
> > cycling I'm giving, as part of my degree.
> >
> > Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff
>
> you had better hope your supervisor's not reading this NG...research culled from usenet is
> unlikely to be a big winner...

If you want to design a questionnaire or similar for some decent data it's probably a good place to
start, though.

I've never had any real problems due to time trialling - the obvious burning-lungs feeling and
occasionally problems with cramping up, but no real injuries. (plus minor case of teno which I think
was more to do with changing pedalling style than TTing)

Peter

I once pulled my gluteus maximus during a time trial. This may not be a typical injury, as I was
doing this the day after a double century.

JeffK wrote:
> part of my degree.
>
I never trained specifically for time trials, but would do the provincial championships every year
and give it my all. For three years in a row I sprained all my groin muscles swinging my leg off the
bike after the finish. The fourth year I was doing fine until I slid the bike into the back of the
van, then SPROING. All cramped...all pulled.

"Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "JeffK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
> injuries
> > > & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial
> > > cycling I'm giving, as part of my degree.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff
> >
> > you had better hope your supervisor's not reading this NG...research culled from usenet is
> > unlikely to be a big winner...
>
> If you want to design a questionnaire or similar for some decent data it's probably a good place
> to start, though.
>

Perhaps a letter to the local TT governing body would be more fruitful, in any event--or a series of
interviews with members of a competitive cycling club, or a team physician.

-Luigi

In the era before HRMs, the major "injury" was the occasional projectile vomit over the handlebars
when the rider pushed too hard. Since HRMs, vomiting isn't an issue.

I know of a guy doing the Southern NY disticts in the late 70s who crashed because he was looking
down and hit a curb. Fortunately he landed on grass and only lost 45" or so.

> Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
injuries
> & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial cycling
> I'm giving, as part of my degree.
>

In article <[email protected]>,
B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

> In the era before HRMs, the major "injury" was the occasional projectile vomit over the handlebars
> when the rider pushed too hard. Since HRMs, vomiting isn't an issue.
>
> I know of a guy doing the Southern NY disticts in the late 70s who crashed because he was looking
> down and hit a curb. Fortunately he landed on grass and only lost 45" or so.
>
>
> "JeffK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
> injuries
> > & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial
> > cycling I'm giving, as part of my degree.
> >
> > Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff
> >
> >
>

I know a rider who hit and killed a deer in the Nor Cal TT Championship one year. The rider suffered
a broken hip or leg. A total of about $50,000 in medical bills.

Casey

"Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:310520031357285985%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In the era before HRMs, the major "injury" was the occasional projectile vomit over the
> > handlebars when the rider pushed too hard. Since HRMs, vomiting isn't an issue.
> >
> > I know of a guy doing the Southern NY disticts in the late 70s who
crashed
> > because he was looking down and hit a curb. Fortunately he landed on
grass
> > and only lost 45" or so.
> >
> >
> > "JeffK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi. Could any time trialists out there let me know what the typical
> > injuries
> > > & health problems sustained from TTs are. This is for a presentation profiling time trial
> > > cycling I'm giving, as part of my degree.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance & happy racing! Jeff
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> I know a rider who hit and killed a deer in the Nor Cal TT Championship one year. The rider
> suffered a broken hip or leg. A total of about $50,000 in medical bills.
>
> Casey

How many points?

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> In the era before HRMs, the major "injury" was the occasional projectile vomit over the handlebars
> when the rider pushed too hard. Since HRMs, vomiting isn't an issue.
>
> I know of a guy doing the Southern NY disticts in the late 70s who crashed because he was looking
> down and hit a curb. Fortunately he landed on
grass
> and only lost 45" or so.

Forty-five inches of what?

:)

-Buck

It was a cement truck pirate. I had race with Alan that spring, I had flatted and so had he.
Together we caught the field. To ride so hard with someone and read where a truck hit him at the
nationals really shocks. TIME TRIALS SHOULD NEVER CROSS INTERSECTIONS ! This was 72 or 73. The Bear

@ @

~~~

>It was a cement truck pirate. I had race with Alan that spring, I had flatted and so had he.
>Together we caught the field. To ride so hard with someone and read where a truck hit him at the
>nationals really shocks. TIME TRIALS SHOULD NEVER CROSS INTERSECTIONS ! This was 72 or 73.

I presume you're referring to Alan Kingsbury?it had to be later than that- at least 75. more like 76
or 77, maybe even 78- I'd just started racing in 77, and was reading about it in Velo-news.

Myself, I rode the VA state TT blind( :-0 - not with blind-fold, just didnt have time to recon,
turned a corner, and clipped my pedal. went flying through the air- still remember the look of
amazement, or was it horror? on the road marshal's face. I got up, and caught my minute man. only
did 1;05;19, but wasnt too displeased considering. I did strain my Iliopsoas though, took about
several weeks to heal.(never mind the strawberries....)

Alan Kingsbury was hit at the 1978 National TT in Wisconsin. I rode the Junior TT that same day.

[email protected] (Richard Thompson) wrote in message
> It was a cement truck pirate. I had race with Alan that spring, I had flatted and so had he.
> Together we caught the field. To ride so hard with someone and read where a truck hit him at
> the nationals really shocks. TIME TRIALS SHOULD NEVER CROSS INTERSECTIONS ! This was 72 or 73.
> The Bear
>
> @ @
>
> ~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.