time trial

Originally posted by nitrogenmustard
i've decided to turn my old road bike into a time trial bike. Whats the best way to do this?

Best way is to buy a TT bike. If your old road bike has a typical 73* seat tube, then you really won't have a very good fit. You need to be able to move the saddle forward and up, and the bars down (a lot). Even if your frame was small enough to allow the bars to go down enough (remember aero bars are tall, so you need really low handlebars on which to mount them), because your saddle can only go so far forward, you'll end up with your knees bumping your ribs, etc. No good. But if your frame is small enough, you can get a conservative compromise aero position down to the point you feel your knees getting too close to your ribs (may not be ideal for power though). If it's not, then mounting aero bars will only do more for comfort than aerodynamics.

See if you can find a seatpost that bends forward (I've seen many that bend rearward to make a TT or tri bike have 'normal' seat tube geometry, but never the reverse on anything other than Cervelo).

thomson setback seatpost, turned forward; clip on aerobars, and base bar; bar end shifters; brake levers for base bar. might have to play with stem length and angle. as aztec said, won't be ideal but will work.