Time v. Look pedals

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob, May 18, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    My Time pedals have finally bit the dust (my cleat is bad and the pedals are old). Anyone have an
    input on Time v. Look? I like the floating concept of Time. Does Look automatically recenter?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. > My Time pedals have finally bit the dust (my cleat is bad and the pedals
    are
    > old). Anyone have an input on Time v. Look? I like the floating concept
    of
    > Time. Does Look automatically recenter?

    LOOK pedals have a very mild tendency to re-center but overall I'd give them very high marks as a
    "floating" pedal system. They also have a very secure feeling, similar to the LOOKs. I've ridden
    both extensively, but now use Speedplay X pedals, and have been very happy... they still have that
    mechanically-secure feeling (like you're directly connected to the pedal with no mechanical slop)
    and an extreme amount of float.

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > > My Time pedals have finally bit the dust (my cleat is bad and the pedals
    > are
    > > old). Anyone have an input on Time v. Look? I like the floating
    concept
    > of
    > > Time. Does Look automatically recenter?
    >
    > LOOK pedals have a very mild tendency to re-center but overall I'd give
    them
    > very high marks as a "floating" pedal system. They also have a very
    secure
    > feeling, similar to the LOOKs. I've ridden both extensively, but now use Speedplay X pedals, and
    > have been very happy... they still have that mechanically-secure feeling (like you're directly
    > connected to the pedal with no mechanical slop) and an extreme amount of float.

    How do you like the size of the speedplay pedals? I tend to like a larger platform.

  4. > How do you like the size of the speedplay pedals? I tend to like a larger platform.

    I'm of the camp that doesn't believe size of platform matters, as long as the sole of the shoe is
    quite rigid. Why should it make a difference as long as it's mechanically secure (which the
    Speedplay accomplished by having a very large engagement area for the cleat)? It's the shoe that
    supplies the rigidity to the system, not the cleat.

    Back in the day, with the flimsy shoes I used to ride (Detto Pietro 74s?), anything you could
    do to stiffen up the sole was a blessing. But I don't think that's relevant with the current
    crop of shoes.

  5. Allan Leedy

    Allan Leedy Guest

    Though it wasn't me you asked . . . I think pedal size is a red herring. With good, solid soles in
    your cycling shoes, the surface area of the pedal is not something you can feel the extent of. "Bob"

  6. Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How do you like the size of the speedplay pedals? I tend to like a larger platform.

    Like others who have responded to this message, I also don't believe that the platform size is
    necessarily important. Any "high performance" cycling shoe has a very stiff sole, so the size of the
    pedal simply doesn't matter. I use EggBeaters (SPD style cleat) on my road bike with high-end John
    Luck mountain bike shoes, and while I'm not very impressed with the pedals otherwise, I've never had
    any problems with "hot spots".

    I'm not particularly strong or mash the pedals at low cadences, but I still do 100+ km rides at
    respectable pace fairly often. Obviously a small platform with soft-soled shoes is a bad
    combination, but there are plenty of stiff shoes in both road and MTB varieties available.

    -as

  7. Antti Salonen wrote:

    > Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > How do you like the size of the speedplay pedals? I tend to like a larger platform.
    >
    > Like others who have responded to this message, I also don't believe that the platform size is
    > necessarily important. Any "high performance" cycling shoe has a very stiff sole, so the size of
    > the pedal simply doesn't matter.

    Even when used with less stiff shoes, the Speedplays work well. Forget the pedal size and check out
    the size of the shoe / cleat interface. That's what actually ends up being the "platform".

    Barry

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Antti Salonen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > How do you like the size of the speedplay pedals? I tend to like a
    larger
    > > platform.
    >
    > Like others who have responded to this message, I also don't believe that the platform size is
    > necessarily important. Any "high performance" cycling shoe has a very stiff sole, so the size of
    > the pedal simply doesn't matter. I use EggBeaters (SPD style cleat) on my road bike with high-end
    > John Luck mountain bike shoes, and while I'm not very impressed with the pedals otherwise, I've
    > never had any problems with "hot spots".
    >
    > I'm not particularly strong or mash the pedals at low cadences, but I still do 100+ km rides at
    > respectable pace fairly often. Obviously a small platform with soft-soled shoes is a bad
    > combination, but there are plenty of stiff shoes in both road and MTB varieties available.
    >
    > -as

    I'm still not sure, although I agree with most people about shoe stiffness. However, when I ride my
    mountain bike (Time MTB pedals), I feel a difference in my feet/ankles as compared to when I ride my
    mountain bike, even when I ride my mountain over the same roads. My Time road pedals just feel more
    secure, which could be solely mental (i.e., I'm imagining it).

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  9. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    The landlord at our building wants to move the bikes out of the lobby and into the parking lot. My
    own opinion is that bikes enhance the aesthetics of the lobby space, but I may be biased. In any
    case, he has asked for some guidance about purchasing a bike enclosures. He is willing to surf the
    web, but that is such a hit or miss proposition I was wondering if I might find some recommendations
    here. Either good links for more information, or specific references for manufacturers would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Patrick Murphy EM: [email protected]

  10. > I've gone back to Look after trying Speedplay X (on the same shoe:
    Carnac).
    > I noticed a big difference in stability and comfort going back to the
    larger
    > pedal. Look and Time have been around for twice as long as Speedplay, and are the overwhelming
    > choice of pro riders. These guys can ride whatever they want, and cost is no object. Some of you
    > may remember early (failed) clipless designs, like the "axle" that clipped into the shoe, etc.

    You're under the mistaken belief that professional cyclists have much choice in what they ride.
    Aside from a very select group at the top, they must ride what their team is under contract to ride.
    And even those who have contracts that allow them to use other equipment (and possibly doctor it up
    to look like it's from their sponsor) often don't do so, simply due to economics. Most of the
    peloton is rather poorly paid, and whatever's tossed their way gets used.

    At the very top, sure, there are a few that put pickiness about product above sponsors paying them
    $$$ to use something, but not too many. If they have a choice between getting $10k for using Brand X
    pedal or buying their own, it's still often viewed as a business decision. The luckiest few can have
    it both ways; Lance gets Shimano to design him a whole new pedal, and who knows how much money he
    gets for riding them too!

    "baltobernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Antti Salonen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > larger
    > > >
    > > > Like others who have responded to this message, I also don't believe that the platform size is
    > > > necessarily important. Any "high
    performance"
    > > > cycling shoe has a very stiff sole, so the size of the pedal simply doesn't matter. I use
    > > > EggBeaters (SPD style cleat) on my road bike
    with
    > > > high-end John Luck mountain bike shoes, and while I'm not very
    impressed
    > > > with the pedals otherwise, I've never had any problems with "hot
    spots".

    > > > I'm not particularly strong or mash the pedals at low cadences, but I still do 100+ km rides
    > > > at respectable pace fairly often. Obviously a small platform with soft-soled shoes is a bad
    > > > combination, but there
    are
    > > > plenty of stiff shoes in both road and MTB varieties available.
    > > >
    > > > -as
    > > >
    > > I'm still not sure, although I agree with most people about shoe
    > stiffness.
    > > However, when I ride my mountain bike (Time MTB pedals), I feel a
    > difference
    > > in my feet/ankles as compared to when I ride my mountain bike, even when
    > > ride my mountain over the same roads. My Time road pedals just feel
    more
    > > secure, which could be solely mental (i.e., I'm imagining it).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com
    > >

    > I've gone back to Look after trying Speedplay X (on the same shoe:
    Carnac).
    > I noticed a big difference in stability and comfort going back to the
    larger
    > pedal. Look and Time have been around for twice as long as Speedplay, and are the overwhelming
    > choice of pro riders. These guys can ride whatever they want, and cost is no object. Some of you
    > may remember early (failed) clipless designs, like the "axle" that clipped into the shoe, etc.
    >
    > Bernie

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 00:36:51 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You're under the mistaken belief that professional cyclists have much choice in what they
    >ride. Aside from a very select group at the top, they must ride what their team is under
    >contract to ride.

    And the Luddite UCI won't let them use the best bike for the job, either ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 00:36:51 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You're under the mistaken belief that professional cyclists have much choice in what they
    > >ride. Aside from a very select group at the top, they must ride what their team is under
    > >contract to ride.
    >
    > And the Luddite UCI won't let them use the best bike for the job, either ;-)
    >
    > Guy

    We can't have high end Euro style racers lying down on the job now! Tradition man! Bernie

  13. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    Bernie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 20 May 2003 00:36:51 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >You're under the mistaken belief that professional cyclists have much
    choice
    > > >in what they ride. Aside from a very select group at the top, they
    must
    > > >ride what their team is under contract to ride.
    > >
    > > And the Luddite UCI won't let them use the best bike for the job, either ;-)
    > >
    > > Guy
    >
    > We can't have high end Euro style racers lying down on the job now!
    Tradition
    > man! Bernie

    And now they make them wear HELMETS!!!

    baltobernie (ducking and running)