Timely Query -- Best Overall Commute Bike

craigstanton

Oct 31, 2003
with gas prices being what they are, this seems like a timely question for cyclists. Assuming a commute of 15+ to 20+ miles, what do people these days consider the best possible ride?

A so-called "performance hybrid? along the lines of a Bianchi Celeste, a Kona Dr. Dew, or a Jamis Coda?

A purpose-built commuter/light touring rig. . . like a Bianchi Castro Valley?

OR . . .

A converted cyclo-x or mountain bike?

Thoughts? Pros and cons of any of the above for longer commutes?

There are a lot of factors that you need to consider such as how much you work related stuff you need to carry with you. A tool box of large briefcase would difficult on a cyclocross or mountain bike, or even a performance hybrid. You could carry a lot of stuff if you were to use a light touring or a loaded touring bike. You would probably want to leave the actual toolbox or briefcase at work and take only what you need home with you.

For the distance that you are talking about, I think a light touring bike would be the way to go if for nothing more than just the stability on a Monday morning.;)

kdelong said:
There are a lot of factors that you need to consider such as how much you work related stuff you need to carry with you. A tool box of large briefcase would difficult on a cyclocross or mountain bike, or even a performance hybrid. You could carry a lot of stuff if you were to use a light touring or a loaded touring bike. You would probably want to leave the actual toolbox or briefcase at work and take only what you need home with you.

For the distance that you are talking about, I think a light touring bike would be the way to go if for nothing more than just the stability on a Monday morning.;)

Hi KD,

I actually ride a light commuter just for this reason. Riding this bike compared to my century/road racing rig is sort of like the difference between driving a Ferrari and driving an small truck loaded.

I asked the question though because most folks I see commuting in these parts seem to ride cyclocross bikes or some version of the performance hybrid. I see very few touring or light touring bikes, and I find this surprising. Maybe people just prefer the sensation of going fast over the sensation of stability that one gets from a solid touring rig.

craigstanton said:
Hi KD,

I actually ride a light commuter just for this reason. Riding this bike compared to my century/road racing rig is sort of like the difference between driving a Ferrari and driving an small truck loaded.

I asked the question though because most folks I see commuting in these parts seem to ride cyclocross bikes or some version of the performance hybrid. I see very few touring or light touring bikes, and I find this surprising. Maybe people just prefer the sensation of going fast over the sensation of stability that one gets from a solid touring rig.
It is probably just a matter of people pressing into service whatever is sitting in their garage, most likely collecting dust:rolleyes: .

I commute on my ordinary road bike, mostly. For wet weather and loads, I use my old steel rigid-fork MTB in touring configuration with drop bars, 12-27 on the rear, rear rack and panniers, and 32mm slick tyres. To be honest, the only bikes that I would consider unsuitable are those with knobbly tyres and those "comfort" bikes (what a misnomer) that have you sitting upright. Rear suspension is unnecessary, but some people might prefer a light, low-travel suspension fork.

This thread really is a matter of personal needs and opinions. The best overall commute bike is going to be the one that gets a person safely from point A to point B with the least amount of effort and the most comfort. I cannot comment on the comfort bike aspect because I have never ridden one. I do have a friend who commutes using knobby tires, but he works in construction sites (heavy equipment operator) and the last part of his commute is off road.

kdelong said:
This thread really is a matter of personal needs and opinions. The best overall commute bike is going to be the one that gets a person safely from point A to point B with the least amount of effort and the most comfort. I cannot comment on the comfort bike aspect because I have never ridden one. I do have a friend who commutes using knobby tires, but he works in construction sites (heavy equipment operator) and the last part of his commute is off road.
kdelong is on target with his post. I ride about 8 km to work (one way) and this is what works really well for me. I installed 26 x 2.50 Maxxis Hookworm's on my Cannondale Rush mountain bike. These are essentially slicks with a really cool slight siping like a high performance motorcycle tire. I inflated them to 65 PSI and they roll really fast, almost like a road bike. The ride is comfortable and quick plus you don't get that annoying "RRRRRRrrrrrrr" from the speed robbing knobbies on the pavement. And it just plain looks cool! :cool:

Road Rage said:
kdelong is on target with his post. I ride about 8 km to work (one way) and this is what works really well for me. I installed 26 x 2.50 Maxxis Hookworm's on my Cannondale Rush mountain bike. These are essentially slicks with a really cool slight siping like a high performance motorcycle tire. I inflated them to 65 PSI and they roll really fast, almost like a road bike. The ride is comfortable and quick plus you don't get that annoying "RRRRRRrrrrrrr" from the speed robbing knobbies on the pavement. And it just plain looks cool! :cool:
I find high pressure, large slicks only roll easy if the pavement is perfectly smooth. The ride is very bouncy and energy-robbing if you try to ride a gravel shoulder or a rough, paved surface.

artemidorus said:
I commute on my ordinary road bike, mostly. For wet weather and loads, I use my old steel rigid-fork MTB in touring configuration with drop bars, 12-27 on the rear, rear rack and panniers, and 32mm slick tyres. To be honest, the only bikes that I would consider unsuitable are those with knobbly tyres and those "comfort" bikes (what a misnomer) that have you sitting upright. Rear suspension is unnecessary, but some people might prefer a light, low-travel suspension fork.
Are you criticizing comfort bikes purely for having the rider sit upright, or are there other reasons why there are not really comfortable? For short rides that are just a few km long, an upright position is really comfortable, especially since aerodynamics or efficiency is not really a big deal here.

Road Rage said:
I installed 26 x 2.50 Maxxis Hookworm's on my Cannondale Rush mountain bike. These are essentially slicks with a really cool slight siping like a high performance motorcycle tire. I inflated them to 65 PSI and they roll really fast, almost like a road bike.
The problem with 63mm tyres is not just rolling resistance, but air drag. I imagine that you hit a bit of a speed wall at about 30-35km/h. You can put 25mm tyres on a 26" rim (although I chose a little wider for comfort and pinch flat safety) and these will roll fastest of all.

TheDarkLord said:
Are you criticizing comfort bikes purely for having the rider sit upright, or are there other reasons why there are not really comfortable? For short rides that are just a few km long, an upright position is really comfortable, especially since aerodynamics or efficiency is not really a big deal here.
Purely on position. It's pretty hard to get your weight off your bum, it's hard to put in much power while sitting on the seat and your frontal area is huge.
But, admittedly, if you are only going a couple of km and you have a huge, comfortable seat, it's probably a reasonable steed.

kdelong said:
I do have a friend who commutes using knobby tires, but he works in construction sites (heavy equipment operator) and the last part of his commute is off road.
Most commuter bikes need knobbly tyres about as much as a single passenger commuter car in heavy traffic needs 4 wheel drive, 2 tonnes of weight or a V8 engine.

craigstanton said:
what do people these days consider the best possible ride?
Unfortunately doesn't exist. If you built a bike to take the day in day out all year round punishment of a long distance commute it would be stolen quicker than you can say "I'm sure I left my bike here."

I have three for my commute. One for regular use (A). One for bad weather (B). One for when even the cars can't take it (C).

A is an old city bike. Cheap name frame yet with upgraded parts (with names removed) thicker spokes on the rear wheel. Roller brakes for longevity and all conditions braking.
B is a rigid 29er with knobbly tires, extra strong rear wheel, rim brakes for that extra "feel" you need in bad weather.
C is an old full sus MTB with carbide studded tires (Nokian) and a 48 spoke rear (Halo SAS) wouldn't dream of using it on all but the very worst days, because of the probability it'd get stolen. Disk brakes as rim brakes would be clogged no time flat.