Times article on cycling 20p per mile

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dirtylitterboxo, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. See

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html

    "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"

    Widdydoom is her usual self - “It is difficult to see how a cyclist can clock up these sort of
    expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much for a pogo stick,
    and how much for shoe leather? “I might add that you would not get me weaving through the London
    traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile.”

    And Teddy Taylor obviously has little clue about the cost of a decent bike with “I can understand
    the Government wanting to encourage cycling, but this is over the top. At 20p a mile you could buy a
    dozen new bicycles a year.”

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > See
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    >
    > "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    >
    > Widdydoom is her usual self - "It is difficult to see how a cyclist can clock up these sort of
    > expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much for a pogo
    > stick, and how much for shoe leather? "I might add that you would not get me weaving through the
    > London traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile."
    >
    > And Teddy Taylor obviously has little clue about the cost of a decent bike with "I can understand
    > the Government wanting to encourage cycling, but this is over the top. At 20p a mile you could buy
    > a dozen new bicycles a year."

    IIRC the CTC costed cycling at 12p/mi when you take into account wear and tear, maintenance,
    clothing, lights etc.

    Tony

  3. >IIRC the CTC costed cycling at 12p/mi when you take into account wear and tear, maintenance,
    >clothing, lights etc.

    So 20p per mile *might* be an incentive to get a few more people out of their pollution-producing
    metal boxes a little bit more often, thus helping HMG achieve it's greenhouse gas emission reduction
    targets. Seems reasonable to me ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Pk

    Pk Guest

  5. On 27 Jan 2004 08:40:48 GMT, in
    <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:
    >up these sort of expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much
    >for a pogo stick, and how much for shoe leather? “I might add that you would not get me weaving
    >through the London traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile.”

    We have alreacy been categorically told by somebody on u.r.d that rollerskates and pogo sticks are
    illegal. Now go and sit in the corner ;-)
    --
    I remember when the internet was only in black & white. It only had a few pages but at least they
    all worked. Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    >> IIRC the CTC costed cycling at 12p/mi when you take into account wear and tear, maintenance,
    >> clothing, lights etc.
    >
    > So 20p per mile *might* be an incentive to get a few more people out of their pollution-producing
    > metal boxes a little bit more often, thus helping HMG achieve it's greenhouse gas emission
    > reduction targets. Seems reasonable to me ;-)

    That's my understanding of the rate. Just the same as they now don't differentiate between small and
    large engined cars to encourage you to use the more economical small engined ones. I understand some
    hospitals and health authorities have offered 50p to encourage staff to use the healthier option and
    improve the authorities image.

    Incidentally if your employer won't pay you the 20p rate you can claim the difference between 20p/mi
    and what you actually receive on your tax return.

    Tony

  7. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Incidentally if your employer won't pay you the 20p rate you can claim the difference between
    > 20p/mi and what you actually receive on your tax return.

    only for buisness miles not for commuting to and from work.

    pk

  8. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    > See
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    >
    > "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    >
    > Widdydoom is her usual self - "It is difficult to see how a cyclist can clock up these sort of
    > expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much for a pogo
    > stick, and how much for shoe leather? "I might add that you would not get me weaving through the
    > London traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile."
    >
    > And Teddy Taylor obviously has little clue about the cost of a decent bike with "I can understand
    > the Government wanting to encourage cycling, but this is over the top. At 20p a mile you could buy
    > a dozen new bicycles a year."

    I think this shows the basic lack of understanding of cycling by those in parliament. We have Boris
    Johnson, a keen cyclist, saying he's all for encouraging cycling but not at the taxpayers expense!
    What are cycle routes, safety campaigns etc if not that. Good on him not claiming his allowance
    though. I fail to see how an MPs cycling allowance of 20p makes ordinary members of the public get
    on their bikes. We then have Ann Widdecombe ridiculing cycles by comparing them to "pogo sticks" and
    Teddy Taylor with no idea of the cost of bikes - I just calculated £80 each for his 12 bikes on my
    commute of 20 miles a day at 20p a mile.

    Laughable really.

  9. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

    > See
    >
    > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    >
    > "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    >
    > Widdydoom is her usual self - “It is difficult to see how a cyclist can clock up these sort of
    > expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much for a pogo
    > stick, and how much for shoe leather? “I might add that you would not get me weaving through the
    > London traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile.”

    These expenses are rarely claimed though, because they aren't available for travel to work (unless
    you officially work from home) and few people would make any other kind of business trip by bike.
    Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

  10. >These expenses are rarely claimed though, because they aren't available for travel to work (unless
    >you officially work from home) and few people would make any other kind of business trip by bike.
    >Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    Well, my other half has made the odd business call to see local clients on his bike :) Generally
    the reaction is positive, and the smell - well, he doesn't cycle as if he's in a race, so it's no
    sweat - literally :) Of course it helps that he & I run our own business.

    Cheers, helen s

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:58:51 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    No, only Nugent would bother imagining that. The rest of us just ride slower and get there without
    working up a sweat.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > These expenses are rarely claimed though, because they aren't available for travel to work (unless
    > you officially work from home) and few people would make any other kind of business trip by bike.
    > Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    I regularly turn up at meetings with my Brompton. Its quite a talking point, doesn't seem to create
    any animosity and certainly gets you remembered. Its acceptable eccentricity ;-)

    Tony

  13. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >
    > > See
    > >
    > > http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    > >
    > > "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    > >
    > > Widdydoom is her usual self - "It is difficult to see how a cyclist can
    clock
    > > up these sort of expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much
    for
    > > roller skates, how much for a pogo stick, and how much for shoe leather?
    "I
    > > might add that you would not get me weaving through the London traffic
    on a
    > > bicycle for 50p a mile."
    >
    > These expenses are rarely claimed though, because they aren't available for travel to work (unless
    > you officially work from home) and few people would make any other kind of business trip by bike.
    > Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    Most of my business trips are within central London, and on a Brompton I arrive sooner and in better
    condition than if I'd taken the tube.

    Ben

  14. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:17:05 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >> See
    >>
    >> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    >>
    >> "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    >>

    >Why should MP be paid anything at all for their transport to theri normal pace of work. the rest of
    >us aren't!

    It sets a precedent.

  15. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    > >> IIRC the CTC costed cycling at 12p/mi when you take into account wear and tear, maintenance,
    > >> clothing, lights etc.
    > >
    > > So 20p per mile *might* be an incentive to get a few more people out of their pollution-
    > > producing metal boxes a little bit more often, thus helping HMG achieve it's greenhouse gas
    > > emission reduction targets. Seems reasonable to me ;-)
    > >

    > That's my understanding of the rate. Just the same as they now don't differentiate between small
    > and large engined cars to encourage you to use the more economical small engined ones.

    Also the CTC figure is getting old now. A few years of stagnating at 20p, and the rate won't seem to
    great anyway. Not that's it's anything to complain about, but it is certainly not particularly
    excessive.

    James

  16. W K

    W K Guest

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:58:51 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)
    >
    > No, only Nugent would bother imagining that.

    No, apparantly either Firth, or someone he knows actually smells like a pig after any sort of
    physical exertion.

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > >Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    > > No, only Nugent would bother imagining that.

    > No, apparantly either Firth, or someone he knows actually smells like a
    pig
    > after any sort of physical exertion.

    Yebbut, he probably smells like a pig *before* the exertion as well...

    --
    Guy
    ===

  18. Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> writes:

    >dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

    >> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-978831,00.html
    >>
    >> "MPs put brakes on 20p-a-mile rebate for cyclists"
    >>
    >> Widdydoom is her usual self. "It is difficult to see how a cyclist can clock up these sort of
    >> expenses. If it is 20p a mile for a bicycle, how much for roller skates, how much for a pogo
    >> stick, and how much for shoe leather? I might add that you would not get me weaving through the
    >> London traffic on a bicycle for 50p a mile."

    >These expenses are rarely claimed though, because they aren't available for travel to work (unless
    >you officially work from home) and few people would make any other kind of business trip by bike.
    >Imagine turning up at a client's office and asking where the showers are ;-)

    Some years ago I turned up at a cardiac consultant's office with my troos still tucked into my
    socks. He looked at them, then looked at my medical record.

    "Cycled here from home?"

    "Yes."

    "Up that hill?"

    "Yes."

    "Feel ok?"

    "Yes."

    "Well in that case we can forget about the tests suggested by your doctor. If any of the things
    suggested by him about your heart were true you'd be dead by now. Cheerio, and keep cycling!"

    So I saved the NHS some money...
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]