Times article

"Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you read this astonishing article?
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3097464.ece
>
> If you feel as I do a letter to the Times (or filling in the comment form)
> might help.
>
> Tim

Thanks for pointing out this despicable little article Tim.

They seem to be having some trouble putting all the comments on; I put in my
five pen'orth last night, and it still hasn't appeared, and no, it wasn't
rude or offensive. It was certainly less rude and offensive than the
obnoxious Mr Parris.

I used to buy the Times.

Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:

>The point about these incidents is that people stupid enough to do
>them will not often think of the idea for themselves.

.... and these persons are regular "Times" readers?

I heard a rumour that drivers throw litter too! Shocking!

First of all, the majority of people who have energy drinks from throw-
away bottles are not even sports people. We tend to bulk-buy the
powder and put it in our re-usable bottles. I don't know a bottle with
only a single serving in it then throws it away.

I hate this 'cycling is bad for the environment' too. Yes it uses co2
to make bikes, the food we eat, what we wear and all that heavy
breathing but add it all up and you are still better off on a bike
than in a car. Don't forget it takes more co2 to make a car, more co2
to run it and more co2 to process the fuel. Cycling is far better for
the environment than watching TV with a beer. Plus the fact we use
less co2 in our daily lives because we don't get out of breath doing
things as simple as walking up stairs.

I can never roam the streets of Paris again because it has a name too
similar to this hideous man,

Rant over. I feel better now.

On 27/12/2007 23:29, Sir Jeremy said,

> And if he'd suggested decapitating 4x4 drivers you'd agree with him?

Of course not - where on earth do you get that idea from? Surely not
because I omitted 4x4 drivers from my short list of examples?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 28 Dec, 11:24, Nat <[email protected]> wrote:
> I heard a rumour that drivers throw litter too! Shocking!
>
> First of all, the majority of people who have energy drinks from throw-
> away bottles are not even sports people. We tend to bulk-buy the
> powder and put it in our re-usable bottles. I don't know a bottle with
> only a single serving in it then throws it away.
>
> I hate this 'cycling is bad for the environment' too. Yes it uses co2
> to make bikes, the food we eat, what we wear and all that heavy
> breathing but add it all up and you are still better off on a bike
> than in a car. Don't forget it takes more co2 to make a car, more co2
> to run it and more co2 to process the fuel. Cycling is far better for
> the environment than watching TV with a beer. Plus the fact we use
> less co2 in our daily lives because we don't get out of breath doing
> things as simple as walking up stairs.
>
> I can never roam the streets of Paris again because it has a name too
> similar to this hideous man,
>
> Rant over. I feel better now.

Some of the comments approve of placing wire at eyeball-height.

These people are out there- those whose hatred of cyclists spills over
into slicing faces open, and parris is pandering to them and
legitimising such acts.

A number of reports of incitement have been made to Tower Hamlets
police, where Parris has a house, I understand.

On 28/12/2007 11:24, Nat said,

> First of all, the majority of people who have energy drinks from throw-
> away bottles are not even sports people. We tend to bulk-buy the
> powder and put it in our re-usable bottles. I don't know a bottle with
> only a single serving in it then throws it away.

I was thinking much the same. Perhaps if Mr Parris stepped foot outside
London and toddled up Ben Nevis or Snowdon he would be suggesting that
all walkers should be decapitated for dropping litter, because the
amount of litter in the countryside to areas /generally/ inaccessible to
cyclists is appalling. As you say, are there even "single-use" drinks
that cyclists would use?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 28 Dec, 11:50, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 28/12/2007 11:24, Nat said,
>
> > First of all, the majority of people who have energy drinks from throw-
> > away bottles are not even sports people. We tend to bulk-buy the
> > powder and put it in our re-usable bottles. I don't know a bottle with
> > only a single serving in it then throws it away.

> I was thinking much the same.  Perhaps if Mr Parris stepped foot outside
> London and toddled up Ben Nevis or Snowdon he would be suggesting that
> all walkers should be decapitated for dropping litter, because the
> amount of litter in the countryside to areas /generally/ inaccessible to
> cyclists is appalling.  As you say, are there even "single-use" drinks
> that cyclists would use?
>
> --
> Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Someone dumped a three piece suite, fridge freezer and a mattress
stained with....something on my road in East London.

I guess the fly-tipper must have had one of those Chinook bicycle
thingumibobs...

Chris Eilbeck <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed
> >

> >> Still, inciting murder is a pretty extreme response; and I simply do not
> >> believe that, over all, cyclists litter disproportionately.

> > I don't think they do, either. Where I live, there's much litter and
> > virtually no cyclists.

> Does a lot of it have McD's logos on it? There's so much more rubbish
> around the streets here since they came to town.

No. McD's are a dying breed here. Two outlets have closed locally fairly
recently. There are *many* other fast food joints.

Maybe the local Hindus don't eat much beef.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

In article <[email protected]>, Jeff York
[email protected] says...
> Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The point about these incidents is that people stupid enough to do
> >them will not often think of the idea for themselves.

> ... and these persons are regular "Times" readers?

If not already, then soon, as the content seems to be slipping to Daily
Wail standards.

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed
>>

>>> Still, inciting murder is a pretty extreme response; and I simply do not
>>> believe that, over all, cyclists litter disproportionately.

>> I don't think they do, either. Where I live, there's much litter and
>> virtually no cyclists.

> Does a lot of it have McD's logos on it? There's so much more rubbish
> around the streets here since they came to town.

Do you blame the supplier, or the customer, for the litter?

--
Matt B

Matt B wrote:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>>
>>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed

>>> I don't think they do, either. Where I live, there's much litter and
>>> virtually no cyclists.

>> Does a lot of it have McD's logos on it? There's so much more rubbish
>> around the streets here since they came to town.

> Do you blame the supplier, or the customer, for the litter?

I dunno. Which do you think could be the problem?

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>
>> Chris Eilbeck wrote:

>>> Does a lot of it have McD's logos on it? There's so much more rubbish
>>> around the streets here since they came to town.

>> Do you blame the supplier, or the customer, for the litter?

> I dunno. Which do you think could be the problem?

We certainly have to each take responsibility for our own actions. To
suggest that the supplier may be to blame, provides an excuse for
anti-social behaviour. Another tactic is to collectively blame /all/
users of a product, including those who act responsibly, and administer
a group punishment.

--
Matt B

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Jeff York
>[email protected] says...
>> Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >The point about these incidents is that people stupid enough to do
>> >them will not often think of the idea for themselves.

>> ... and these persons are regular "Times" readers?
>>

>If not already, then soon, as the content seems to be slipping to Daily
>Wail standards.

Harsh... But fair.

Funny, I thought News International were meant to be pro-cycling...

"Launch of Cycle to Work Scheme
As part of our campaign to become carbon neutral, we are trying to
reduce the impact of commuting on the environment.

Many people already cycle to work, but we want to encourage even more
News International employees to get on their bikes..."

Someone ought to tell Mr Parris...

Rob

[email protected] wrote:
> Funny, I thought News International were meant to be pro-cycling...
>
> "Launch of Cycle to Work Scheme
> As part of our campaign to become carbon neutral, we are trying to
> reduce the impact of commuting on the environment.
>
> Many people already cycle to work, but we want to encourage even more
> News International employees to get on their bikes..."
>
> Someone ought to tell Mr Parris...

Is Matthew Parris a mere minion of Rupert?

I thought him more likely to be an independent contractor who never
needs to darken the approaches to Wapping in this age of the
information superhighway.

******

On 28 Dec, 01:37, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>

> > And if he'd suggested decapitating 4x4 drivers you'd agree with him?

> When a practical method can be found...

Quick, quick contact the Daily Wail - Cyclist suggests executing 4X4
drivers.....

"Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you read this astonishing article?
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3097464.ece
>
> If you feel as I do a letter to the Times (or filling in the comment form)
> might help.
>
> Tim

Copied from today CTC Newsletter!
Times of good cheer

Times columnist Matthew Parris hasn’t contributed to the season of goodwill
with this poisonous article advocating the lynching and decapitation of
cyclists. The sort of unprovoked tactics advocated by Parris really do get
used to endanger cyclists’ lives, and are noticeably on the increase. Forget
the letters page – a better plan is probably to write to James Harding, who
took over as editor of the Times earlier this month, urging him to rule this
sort of article completely off-limits in his paper.

"fred2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Have you read this astonishing article?
>>
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3097464.ece
>>
>> If you feel as I do a letter to the Times (or filling in the comment
>> form) might help.
>>
>> Tim

> Copied from today CTC Newsletter!
> Times of good cheer
>
> Times columnist Matthew Parris hasn’t contributed to the season of
> goodwill with this poisonous article advocating the lynching and
> decapitation of cyclists. The sort of unprovoked tactics advocated by
> Parris really do get used to endanger cyclists’ lives, and are noticeably
> on the increase. Forget the letters page – a better plan is probably to
> write to James Harding, who took over as editor of the Times earlier this
> month, urging him to rule this sort of article completely off-limits in
> his paper.

Sorry, here is his E-mail address.

[email protected]

"fred2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sorry, here is his E-mail address.
>
> [email protected]

Thanks for the address Tim, my contribution:

"Dear Mr Harding,

The above article contains incitement to violence against cyclists, and is
completely mistaken in fact. I expect more from a supposedly reputable
newspaper, one I shall not be buying in future, unless Mr Parris makes a
fulsome apology, or you sack him."