Times article

I saw your comment on the site yesterday, mine still hasn't appeared yet.

I will forward my reply which I sent to the "online Editor" to
[email protected] who, thanks to fred2, is the actual editor.

--

Nigel

"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
> On 28 Dec, 01:37, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>>

>> > And if he'd suggested decapitating 4x4 drivers you'd agree with him?

>> When a practical method can be found...

> Quick, quick contact the Daily Wail - Cyclist suggests executing 4X4
> drivers.....

Actually I have thought of a way...

The difference being that a) even stupid people wouldn't take the suggestion
seriously and b) land mines don't seem be stocked at B&Q.

On Dec 28, 4:22 pm, JNugent <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Is Matthew Parris a mere minion of Rupert?
>
> I thought him more likely to be an independent contractor who never
> needs to darken the approaches to Wapping in this age of the
> information superhighway.

I know that, but it seems a bit strange that The Times is publishing
this sort of idiocy while at the same time professing to be a green
and bike-friendly employer.

Still, as long as the online article has generated plenty of traffic
to their website...

"Tim Steele" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you read this astonishing article?
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3097464.ece
>
> If you feel as I do a letter to the Times (or filling in the comment form)
> might help.
>
> Tim

Thank God it's the Times and not the Sun or the Daily Mail, or it would
become the latest *in* twilight leisure activity and we'd have all the
Little B8st*ds out there doing it for fun, and sitting in the bushes
giggling!!

I am going to put a response in the Times - I'm very, very disappointed by
this kind of bollox from a normally sensible journalist in a normally
respected paper!

Barb UK

In article <[email protected]>, Barb
[email protected]lid says...
> I'm very, very disappointed by
> this kind of bollox from a normally sensible journalist in a normally
> respected paper!

ITYM formerly respected, rather than normally respected ...

On 28 Dec, 20:52, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > On 28 Dec, 01:37, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> When a practical method can be found...

> > Quick, quick contact the Daily Wail - Cyclist suggests executing 4X4
> > drivers.....

> Actually I have thought of a way...
>
> The difference being that a) even stupid people wouldn't take the suggestion
> seriously and b) land mines don't seem be stocked at B&Q.

But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

On 29 Dec, 13:06, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Barb
> [email protected] says...> I'm very, very disappointed by
> > this kind of bollox from a normally sensible journalist in a normally
> > respected paper!

> ITYM formerly respected, rather than normally respected ...

Actually he lost quite a lot of that respect when worked for
Margaret , that's why they sacked him and he went into journalism.He
wrote a reply to a letter to the pm that went something like :'' Dear
Mrs x, It never ceases to amaze me that people such as yourself who
have never paid for anything or done a stroke of work in years think
you have the right to moan about the things hard working taxpayers
give you for nothing and which most people that have ever existed
would regard as luxurious plenty.... etc''

I have hitherto regarded him as outstanding, however. He must have had
a brainstorm.Again.

"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
> On 28 Dec, 20:52, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Quick, quick contact the Daily Wail - Cyclist suggests executing 4X4
>> > drivers.....

>> Actually I have thought of a way...
>>
>> The difference being that a) even stupid people wouldn't take the
>> suggestion
>> seriously and b) land mines don't seem be stocked at B&Q.

> But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
> pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
> first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

You really don't get it do you?
Just remember that there are cyclists out there who *are* being garrotted
and here we have someone writing that it is a good idea. It's an easy target
and easy to do, with materials readily available for other innocent uses. It
*is* a serious matter.

By contrast, blowing 4x4's up is so frought with practical difficulties that
no matter how many articles journos wrote about their fantasy, it would
remain readily identifiable as a fantasy. ...Until full instructions about
how to procure and assemble the bomb are given. Well, the means and method
are distinctly given in the article.

DavidR wrote:
> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>> But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
>> pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
>> first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

> You really don't get it do you?

He's a troll. This is easily determined by looking at his contributions
on threads that are actually about cycling.

Hope this helps.

-dan

DavidR wrote:
> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>On 28 Dec, 20:52, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>Actually I have thought of a way...
>>>
>>>The difference being that a) even stupid people wouldn't take the
>>>suggestion
>>>seriously and b) land mines don't seem be stocked at B&Q.

>>But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
>>pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
>>first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

> You really don't get it do you?
> Just remember that there are cyclists out there who *are* being garrotted
> and here we have someone writing that it is a good idea. It's an easy target
> and easy to do, with materials readily available for other innocent uses. It
> *is* a serious matter.
>
> By contrast, blowing 4x4's up is so frought with practical difficulties that
> no matter how many articles journos wrote about their fantasy, it would
> remain readily identifiable as a fantasy. ...Until full instructions about
> how to procure and assemble the bomb are given. Well, the means and method
> are distinctly given in the article.

So let's get your position clear...

It's perfectly OK to urge newspaper readers to murder car-drivers, but
completely beyond the pale to urge them to murder cyclists.

Is that about it?

On 29 Dec, 21:00, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>

> > On 28 Dec, 20:52, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> Actually I have thought of a way...

> >> The difference being that a) even stupid people wouldn't take the
> >> suggestion
> >> seriously and b) land mines don't seem be stocked at B&Q.

> > But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
> > pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
> > first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

> You really don't get it do you?
> Just remember that there are cyclists out there who *are* being garrotted
> and here we have someone writing that it is a good idea. It's an easy target
> and easy to do, with materials readily available for other innocent uses. It
> *is* a serious matter.
>
> By contrast, blowing 4x4's up is so frought with practical difficulties that
> no matter how many articles journos wrote about their fantasy, it would
> remain readily identifiable as a fantasy. ...Until full instructions about
> how to procure and assemble the bomb are given. Well, the means and method
> are distinctly given in the article.- Hide quoted text -

It would be even easier to run cyclists over at traffic lights as
Clarkson "suggested" but I haven't heard of anyone doing that and
giving JC's article as a defense.
Thats because, as you say, its fantasy.
Why do so many cyclists seem unable to discern between reality and
fantasy?

On 29 Dec, 22:02, [email protected] wrote:
> DavidR wrote:
> > "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> But many have taken Matthew Parris seriously, hence the rash of
> >> pompous e-mails to the editor of The Times, who will probably read the
> >> first three, think "Wankers!" and delete the rest

> > You really don't get it do you?

> He's a troll.  This is easily determined by looking at his contributions
> on threads that are actually about cycling.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -dan

Easy to brand someone you disagree with as a troll.

"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 29 Dec, 21:00, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote
>>

>> By contrast, blowing 4x4's up is so frought with practical difficulties
>> that
>> no matter how many articles journos wrote about their fantasy, it would
>> remain readily identifiable as a fantasy. ...Until full instructions
>> about
>> how to procure and assemble the bomb are given. Well, the means and
>> method
>> are distinctly given in the article.- Hide quoted text -

> It would be even easier to run cyclists over at traffic lights as
> Clarkson "suggested" but I haven't heard of anyone doing that and
> giving JC's article as a defense.
> Thats because, as you say, its fantasy.
> Why do so many cyclists seem unable to discern between reality and
> fantasy?

On the contrary, the cyclists appear well able to discern the difference,
and you appear unable to to the same.

Having cogitated deeply on the offending article by Mr Parris, I'm now of
the opinion that it is a rather long resignation letter. The editor was on
hols when it was published, so he could sneak it past the underlings, Mr
Parris must have known the kind of furore that it would raise, and that the
editor would very likely dispense with his services on his return. Perhaps
he's in a long term contract that he can't leave without financial penalty
so he actively wants to be sacked to go to a new job?

Problem being that he has permanently reduced his value as a correspondent
by proving himself a bigot. However, he is well connected in the media
business, and I expect his friends to do quite a bit to hush this up. Have
their been any other reports about this, expressing the same shock and
horror that would occur if a columnist in the Times had suggested chucking
bricks through the windows of cars as they drove along with the deliberate
intention to kill the occupants?

Still haven't had either of my comments published on their website, now up
to 134, so how many have they actually had?

In article <[email protected]>,
burtthebike
[email protected] says...

> Still haven't had either of my comments published on their website, now up
> to 134, so how many have they actually had?

A fair few more than that, I would imagine.

burtthebike wrote:

> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> By contrast, blowing 4x4's up is so frought with practical
>>> difficulties that
>>> no matter how many articles journos wrote about their fantasy, it
>>> would remain readily identifiable as a fantasy. ...Until full
>>> instructions about how to procure and assemble the bomb are given.
>>> Well, the means and method are distinctly given in the article.

>> It would be even easier to run cyclists over at traffic lights as
>> Clarkson "suggested" but I haven't heard of anyone doing that and
>> giving JC's article as a defense.
>> Thats because, as you say, its fantasy.
>> Why do so many cyclists seem unable to discern between reality and
>> fantasy?

> On the contrary, the cyclists appear well able to discern the
> difference, and you appear unable to to the same.

But that's the whole point, isn't it? Several posters here (and
elsewhere) have gone off the deep end about Parris's humorous article
precisely because they cannot (or do not wish to) distinguish humour
from ranting. It's odd that you should see that the wrong way round.

> Having cogitated deeply on the offending article by Mr Parris, I'm now
> of the opinion that it is a rather long resignation letter. The editor
> was on hols when it was published, so he could sneak it past the
> underlings, Mr Parris must have known the kind of furore that it would
> raise, and that the editor would very likely dispense with his services
> on his return. Perhaps he's in a long term contract that he can't leave
> without financial penalty so he actively wants to be sacked to go to a
> new job?

Ooh... I wonder whether we should open a book on this? :)

> Problem being that he has permanently reduced his value as a
> correspondent by proving himself a bigot.

Eh?

Even if that were true in Parris's case, it never did Paul Foot any harm.

> However, he is well connected
> in the media business, and I expect his friends to do quite a bit to
> hush this up.

"Hush" what up? An article in the world's most respected newspaper,
which is read in every corner of the globe (YKWIM)? They'd have their
work cut out - but why would anyone *want* to "hush [it] up"?

> Have their been any other reports about this, expressing
> the same shock and horror that would occur if a columnist in the Times
> had suggested chucking bricks through the windows of cars as they drove
> along with the deliberate intention to kill the occupants?

Not absolutely sure what you're asking, but instinctively, I feel the
answer is "no". Times journos and most Times readers (ie, we who shell
out for the printed version regularly) know the difference between
humour and a rant. It's clear, though, that not everyone does.

> Still haven't had either of my comments published on their website, now
> up to 134, so how many have they actually had?

Does it matter?

On Sun, 30 Dec, burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> Still haven't had either of my comments published on their website,
> now up to 134, so how many have they actually had?

Dunno, but mine (submitted when they had only posted three comments)
had not appeared last I checked. Further, the email I sent to the
relevant comment address bounced.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> burtthebike wrote:

>> On the contrary, the cyclists appear well able to discern the difference,
>> and you appear unable to to the same.

> But that's the whole point, isn't it? Several posters here (and elsewhere)
> have gone off the deep end about Parris's humorous article precisely
> because they cannot (or do not wish to) distinguish humour from ranting.
> It's odd that you should see that the wrong way round.

When you know people who have been injured because of wires strung across
the road, perhaps it isn't quite so funny? The fact that Mr Parris chose to
write this inaccurate, offensive piece of drivel is the problem, not the
lack of SOH in cyclists.

>> Have their been any other reports about this, expressing the same shock
>> and horror that would occur if a columnist in the Times had suggested
>> chucking bricks through the windows of cars as they drove along with the
>> deliberate intention to kill the occupants?

> Not absolutely sure what you're asking, but instinctively, I feel the
> answer is "no". Times journos and most Times readers (ie, we who shell out
> for the printed version regularly) know the difference between humour and
> a rant. It's clear, though, that not everyone does.

It's certainly not clear that Mr Parris does. Why don't you explain to us
why suggesting killing people for an imagined crime is funny?

burtthebike wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> burtthebike wrote:

>>> On the contrary, the cyclists appear well able to discern the
>>> difference, and you appear unable to to the same.

>> But that's the whole point, isn't it? Several posters here (and
>> elsewhere) have gone off the deep end about Parris's humorous article
>> precisely because they cannot (or do not wish to) distinguish humour
>> from ranting. It's odd that you should see that the wrong way round.

> When you know people who have been injured because of wires strung
> across the road, perhaps it isn't quite so funny?

Maybe not, indeed. But most of us *don't* know anyone in that
position* (thankfully) and you could apply that argument to absolutely
any humour that relies upon schadenfreude, ridicule or exaggeration.
It would certainly restrict the nation's humorists if they could never
tell a joke that some people (especially a small minority) would not
find funny.

> The fact that Mr
> Parris chose to write this inaccurate, offensive piece of drivel is the
> problem, not the lack of SOH in cyclists.

Are there any other subjects you think people shouldn't be allowed to
choose to write about? Are you going to burn a pile of Matthew
Parris's articles?

>>> Have their been any other reports about this, expressing the same
>>> shock and horror that would occur if a columnist in the Times had
>>> suggested chucking bricks through the windows of cars as they drove
>>> along with the deliberate intention to kill the occupants?

>> Not absolutely sure what you're asking, but instinctively, I feel the
>> answer is "no". Times journos and most Times readers (ie, we who shell
>> out for the printed version regularly) know the difference between
>> humour and a rant. It's clear, though, that not everyone does.

> It's certainly not clear that Mr Parris does.

It is to me. I strongly suspect that it is to most people.

> Why don't you explain to
> us why suggesting killing people for an imagined crime is funny?

For your own reasons (which most people would not have), you simply
have a settled position of not wanting to accept the humour in it, so
there is no point in trying to "explain". You would attempt to evade
or refute any explanation anyway, even if I were able to point out a
single thing about it that you don't already know for yourself. It's a
stance you are taking and that's that. Nothing anyone can do about it.

I can *certainly* see and sense your sense of irritation over it, and
I know you can point to support among people who share your particular
intensity of interest in cycling, but you and they are not the
majority (nor even, really, in political terms, a significant minority).

Live with criticism and don't be so thin-skinned. The drivers of 4x4s,
HGVs, trains, buses, taxis - and cars in general, of course - all
learn that lesson quickly. Or they should.

[*Thirty years ago, a friend of mine was driving along in the early
hours in his licensed taxi. He hit one of these lines stretched across
the road in a "wild west" edge-of-town suburb of the city we were
brought up in (barbed wire, IIRC, slung across at about 1m off the
ground). It did a lot of expensive damage to his taxi, so I am aware
that the problem exists - but I've not encountered any other cases,
and especially, no injuries resulting from it.]

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> burtthebike wrote:
>
>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> When you know people who have been injured because of wires strung across
>> the road, perhaps it isn't quite so funny?

> Maybe not, indeed. But most of us *don't* know anyone in that position*
> (thankfully) and you could apply that argument to absolutely any humour
> that relies upon schadenfreude, ridicule or exaggeration. It would
> certainly restrict the nation's humorists if they could never tell a joke
> that some people (especially a small minority) would not find funny.

No, sorry, I don't care what the minority is, threatening to kill them for a
completely imagined crime isn't remotely funny.

>> The fact that Mr Parris chose to write this inaccurate, offensive piece
>> of drivel is the problem, not the lack of SOH in cyclists.

> Are there any other subjects you think people shouldn't be allowed to
> choose to write about? Are you going to burn a pile of Matthew Parris's
> articles?

Mr Parris can write what he likes, as long as it is not gratuitously
offensive, which this was

>> It's certainly not clear that Mr Parris does.

> It is to me. I strongly suspect that it is to most people.

Most people are a member of one minority or other. Ask those who find this
funny if it would be quite so funny if it was aimed at their group.

>> Why don't you explain to us why suggesting killing people for an imagined
>> crime is funny?

> For your own reasons (which most people would not have), you simply have a
> settled position of not wanting to accept the humour in it, so there is no
> point in trying to "explain". You would attempt to evade or refute any
> explanation anyway, even if I were able to point out a single thing about
> it that you don't already know for yourself. It's a stance you are taking
> and that's that. Nothing anyone can do about it.
>
> I can *certainly* see and sense your sense of irritation over it, and I
> know you can point to support among people who share your particular
> intensity of interest in cycling, but you and they are not the majority
> (nor even, really, in political terms, a significant minority).

And you're missing a large part of the point. As I pointed out already, any
minority would find this drivel offensive, and if it had been said about any
of them, I would support their cause.

> Live with criticism and don't be so thin-skinned. The drivers of 4x4s,
> HGVs, trains, buses, taxis - and cars in general, of course - all learn
> that lesson quickly. Or they should.

This wasn't criticism, it was an invitation to randomly decapitate people
for an imagined crime. I am not aware of any suggestion, let alone by a
columnist in an erstwhile respectable newspaper, that any of the above
should be killed for a completely imaginary crime. It isn't cyclists who
are being thin-skinned, it's the abysmally poor writing of someone who knew
quite clearly what he was doing; he's been a politician and in the media for
quite a few years, and he knew exactly what he was doing, hence my
suggestion that this was his resignation letter.

burtthebike wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> burtthebike wrote:
>>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> When you know people who have been injured because of wires strung
>>> across the road, perhaps it isn't quite so funny?

>> Maybe not, indeed. But most of us *don't* know anyone in that
>> position* (thankfully) and you could apply that argument to absolutely
>> any humour that relies upon schadenfreude, ridicule or exaggeration.
>> It would certainly restrict the nation's humorists if they could never
>> tell a joke that some people (especially a small minority) would not
>> find funny.

> No, sorry, I don't care what the minority is, threatening to kill them
> for a completely imagined crime isn't remotely funny.

What?

There was no threat made. Re-read it if you don't recall it properly
(and you don't - see below).

>>> The fact that Mr Parris chose to write this inaccurate, offensive
>>> piece of drivel is the problem, not the lack of SOH in cyclists.

>> Are there any other subjects you think people shouldn't be allowed to
>> choose to write about? Are you going to burn a pile of Matthew
>> Parris's articles?

> Mr Parris can write what he likes, as long as it is not gratuitously
> offensive, which this was

So Mr Parris can write precisely what he likes as long as you are not
offended by it?

>>> It's certainly not clear that Mr Parris does.

>> It is to me. I strongly suspect that it is to most people.

> Most people are a member of one minority or other. Ask those who find
> this funny if it would be quite so funny if it was aimed at their group.

It frequently IS (even if in not the exact terms). That's the point
(which you have missed)!

>>> Why don't you explain to us why suggesting killing people for an
>>> imagined crime is funny?

>> For your own reasons (which most people would not have), you simply
>> have a settled position of not wanting to accept the humour in it, so
>> there is no point in trying to "explain". You would attempt to evade
>> or refute any explanation anyway, even if I were able to point out a
>> single thing about it that you don't already know for yourself. It's a
>> stance you are taking and that's that. Nothing anyone can do about it.
>> I can *certainly* see and sense your sense of irritation over it, and
>> I know you can point to support among people who share your particular
>> intensity of interest in cycling, but you and they are not the
>> majority (nor even, really, in political terms, a significant minority).

> And you're missing a large part of the point. As I pointed out already,
> any minority would find this drivel offensive, and if it had been said
> about any of them, I would support their cause.

Au contraire, I'm afraid that you are missing the *real* point, which
is that minorities and/or their members do not have special rights not
to be "offended".

>> Live with criticism and don't be so thin-skinned. The drivers of 4x4s,
>> HGVs, trains, buses, taxis - and cars in general, of course - all
>> learn that lesson quickly. Or they should.

> This wasn't criticism,

It sounded pretty critical to me.

> it was an invitation to randomly decapitate
> people for an imagined crime.

No, it wasn't. That is your over-active imagination working. Re-read
it. It was a commentary, not a proposal.

> I am not aware of any suggestion, let
> alone by a columnist in an erstwhile respectable newspaper, that any of
> the above should be killed for a completely imaginary crime. It isn't
> cyclists who are being thin-skinned, it's the abysmally poor writing of
> someone who knew quite clearly what he was doing; he's been a politician
> and in the media for quite a few years, and he knew exactly what he was
> doing, hence my suggestion that this was his resignation letter.

Let's see whether that turns out to be the case. My money (were it
practical for us to have a bet) would be on that not being the case.