Timex GPS

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jac, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Jac

    Jac Guest

    Anyone familiar with this. I ran a 20 miler with a guy on the NCR trail outside of Baltimore on
    Saturday, and it was amazingly accurate. I know some of you use GPSs that have map features, etc,
    but i would use the Timex for both running and benting. Anyone know of a similar device which
    transmits the information to a watch?

    Thanks John Clarke

    Tags:

  2. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    There are bike computers that transmit the information to a watch. There are also cool ones that
    store and graph your speed, etc. (The Brain, I think, specialized?) A google search on appropriate
    keywords will get you started.

    I've used the Timex GPS watch and it's a decent unit, but here's my take:

    It's about as big as a Garmin Etrex. It weighs about the same. The only thing it does that an Etrex
    doesn't is give you a pace readout in
    min/mile (although maybe you can get an etrex to do this, and for biking, you want mph or
    kmph anyway)

    It doesn't: map, locate, or do any of the other useful stuff a real GPS unit does, so I think you're
    much better off getting a comparably-sized GPS unit. Also, the armband is the only way to secure it
    to yourself/bike short of rigging something else, whereas I have seen some nicely-mounted GPS units
    on handlebars.

  3. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I like the idea of something that would measure distance, regardless of which bike I was on, and
    would also work for walking. I don't especially need it to read to a watch, though. I don't know if
    I would be able to master the complexity of the mapping function on the Garmin, so I don't know if I
    would use it.

    Are they comparable in terms of battery life?

    JohnRiley1 (at) rogers.com

  4. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I like the idea of something that would measure distance, regardless of which bike I was on, and
    > would also work for walking. I don't especially need it to read to a watch, though. I don't know
    > if I would be able to master the complexity of the mapping function on the Garmin, so I don't know
    > if I would use it.
    >
    > Are they comparable in terms of battery life?
    >
    > JohnRiley1 (at) rogers.com

    I see they are not. Twelve hours on the Timex GPS and 18 hours on the Garmin. Also looks like the
    Timex _is_ a Garmin inside.

    JR

  5. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    The regular GPS units also measures distances. As for mapping, it's no more complicated than
    pressing a button and walking. You need only use the features you want. Like I said, I see no point
    in spending a comparable amount of money on a unit that's the same size, but does much much less.

    > I like the idea of something that would measure distance, regardless of which bike I was on, and
    > would also work for walking. I

  6. I'm new to bents (I'm buying one this week) but have used a Garmin eTrex Vista for years on hikes,
    geocaching, mtn bikes, road bikes, and wind-powered vehicles. The main objection to getting a gps
    with moving-map display is the cost. There are garmins from $100- up to the Vista at $350-. I can't
    believe the Timex would be less than the cost of a low-end gps.

    With a garmin and some $20 software (AAA MAP and Go for example) you can sit your handy laptop on
    your passenger's lap and have a moving-map that is actually big enough to be useful.

    Also, realize that we are at war now and gps signals may not be as accurate as the display leads you
    to believe. From what I hear, the signal may be distorted significantly (miles off).

    -john

    "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The regular GPS units also measures distances. As for mapping, it's no more complicated than
    > pressing a button and walking. You need only use the features you want. Like I said, I see no
    > point in spending a comparable amount of money on a unit that's the same size, but does much
    > much less.
    >

    > > I like the idea of something that would measure distance, regardless of which bike I was on, and
    > > would also work for walking. I

  7. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Not true.

    > Also, realize that we are at war now and gps signals may not be as accurate as the display leads
    > you to believe. From what I hear, the signal may be distorted significantly (miles off).

  8. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "John Ruggiero" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Also, realize that we are at war now and gps signals may not be as accurate as the display leads
    > you to believe. From what I hear, the signal may be distorted significantly (miles off).

    The selective distortion has never been that far off. I just loaded the track from last night's
    ride, and it laid right over the streets perfectly, so accuracy is still fine.

    -Carl

  9. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    "John Ruggiero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm new to bents (I'm buying one this week) but have used a Garmin eTrex Vista for years on hikes,
    > geocaching, mtn bikes, road bikes, and wind-powered vehicles. [...]

    Can one buy a bike holder, or do you have to make these?

    JohnRiley1 (at) rogers.com

  10. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

  11. On 23 Apr 2003 14:09:26 -0700, [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote:

    >> Can one buy a bike holder, or do you have to make these?
    >>
    >Look heah: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10267%2D00

    Also look at the RAM mount (http://www.ram-mount.com/). The Garmin mount probably works fine for
    upright bikes, but for our non-standard bikes the RAM mount allows far more freedom in mounting
    position and angle.