Tingling Feet!

ver

May 4, 2004
Help! I experience numb and tingling feet when I ride and am wondering if anyone knows of any road shoes that are extra wide. I've tried everything else.

hey man,
been there...
just got SIDI genius 4 mega shoes.
super wide and comfy, worth the money.
SIDI makes the "mega" line available in only a few models for people with flipper feet like us.
also available is the SHIMANO r215 in wide, but i didn't like it nearly as much, seems like lower quality.
good luck,
cheers,
dave

Do you have a high arch? As a runner, this is a very familiar problem, and there's a very easy solution - you need a good-fitting insert in your cycling shoes to give you arch support. It doesn't seem like biking would stretch the arch so much, but I've found that I need support in my cycling shoes just as much as in my running shoes.

Originally posted by ver
Help! I experience numb and tingling feet when I ride and am wondering if anyone knows of any road shoes that are extra wide. I've tried everything else.

Sometimes the third toe on my left foot starts to hurt like hell. (I'm not kidding.) It usually happens when I'm doing something in the range of 20 miles with a lot of long up-hills. I've found that leaning forward and hooking my foot over the flat part of the rack over by back tire on the descents allows the pressure to dissipate and relieves the pain. I have no idea what causes it. Before I discovered that hooking my foot on the rack eased the pain, I used to be forced to stop pedalling and have to dismount for ten to fifteen minutes. While I was dismounted, I would walk around and my foot would hurt like hell. Now when the foot starts to hurt, I hang the foot at the first opportunity and the pain stops. Once it has stopped, it never returns regardless of how long I continue to cycle for the day.

I do have a terribly high arch. I wonder if that is the issue?

Originally posted by carljohnson
Do you have a high arch? As a runner, this is a very familiar problem, and there's a very easy solution - you need a good-fitting insert in your cycling shoes to give you arch support. It doesn't seem like biking would stretch the arch so much, but I've found that I need support in my cycling shoes just as much as in my running shoes.

Oh...I just reread your answer...you have had this problem while running too? I get it pretty badly from long runs. I use Spenco inserts with the arch support, but I'm not sure it's a great arch support, you know? It's sort of a bump on the under-inside of the insole. When you had this problem running, did you put good arch support inserts in your running shoes? I had some orthotics made ten years ago, but they hurt the arch of my foot, and also lifted my foot too far out of my running shoes for comfortable running. I always felt prone to rolling an ankel, or falling out of the shoe. What did you do for your running shoes?

Originally posted by carljohnson

I had orthotics made for my running shoes. Spenco and a couple of the other brands have improved over the last couple of years so that they give nearly enough support for my other shoes, such as my bike shoes (which is good, because those orthotics were more than $300, which is outrageous).

Originally posted by utahdave
just got SIDI genius 4 mega shoes.
super wide and comfy, worth the money.

I have those same shoes, and they're excellent. I have huge, wide, clumsy feet, and cycling shoes are hard to find for me. Since I also have a totally flat arch, I find the molded arch on most cycling shoes to be painful.

I solved the latter problem by taking my Sidis to a ski shop and having a pair of heat-formed custom insoles made. So far it's worked pretty well, although they do shift around sometimes.