Tingling hand and fingers

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by onTrek, Jul 8, 2004.

1. onTrek

onTrek New Member

Whether I'm on my roadbike or my mountain bike, after a few miles of riding my left hand (and a little of my right) tends to tingle. I vary my hand position, especially on my road bike. After the ride, everything returns to normal. Am I pinching a nerve in my hand or is it further up around my neck?

Tags:

2. spam

spam New Member

I would say it is nerve compression in your hand or wrist. I took a piece of gray, hot water pipe insulation and cut off 2- 4" pieces. Placed them on the handle bar at a good location. Taped one end with plastic tape. I use these for enlarged, shock absorbing grips. They work great and are long lasting. Also hand pain and numbness are now gone.

3. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

How much does that weigh? Is that the styrofoam version, or is this something else? Yeah, I get the numbness too. I have to shift my hands constantly to keep making it go away.

4. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

It weighs next to nothing...we're talking grams here..not nearly as much as the braces and casting for carpal tunnel syndrome treatment. Those are really heavy.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is bike fit...stem the right height? Have you move the seat in relation to other parts? I did some real damage a couple of years back having raised my saddle considerable without readjusting the handle bar heights and my new riding position was really putting a huge amount of stress on the wrists.

5. glennjd

glennjd New Member

The other thing that needs to be looked at is bike fit...stem the right height? Have you move the seat in relation to other parts? I did some real damage a couple of years back having raised my saddle considerable without readjusting the handle bar heights and my new riding position was really putting a huge amount of stress on the wrists.[/QUOTE]

A good pair of cycling gloves can help too. I was having the same problem and I discovered shocktek.com (I have no affiliation with the manufacturer...Just love the product). They manufacture gloves to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. They have a pair of gel cycling gloves that I use every day. Check it out.

J.D. Glenn
    Salt Lake City, UT

6. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

Try NOT fastening your gloves or riding without...to see if that helps. Mine were doing the same so i loosened my gloves (don't fasten them at all now) and it stopped

also lowered my seat a tiny bit

7. danielwilgocki

danielwilgocki New Member

See if you are riding with your arms locked at the elbows. If this is the case make an effort to keep them slightly bent. This helped me out a lot.

8. steve dinwoodie

steve dinwoodie New Member

Good advice from you guys, will be trying a few of the suggestions. I thought it was just me with the tingling, I'm a violinist and cycling home after playing a 3 or 4 hour opera, thought it was just the old body protesting. Now I realise I AM NOT ALONE.......thanks guys.

9. 02Argon18

02Argon18 New Member

I just had surgery for the same problem.. My doctor called it a Subluxing Ulnar ?Nerve, with compression in thr Gunyun Canal. Now im in a full arm cast taking Perkaset 4 times a day. Thanks Us Navy. Get it looked at ASAP. Have them do a Electro Nerve Test to see if you have compression or not. If you have any qustions PM me

10. 02Argon18

02Argon18 New Member

Have them do an EMG on your arm...that'll tell you and them whats up and if you have nerve damage or not..its better to catch it early.

11. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

Just cut the affected arm/arms off. That'll get rid of the problem.

12. steve dinwoodie

steve dinwoodie New Member

Hi buddy, thanks for your reply, I've just ordered a pair of Shocktek gloves I saw on one of the msgs, hope that will do the trick. May not go down the full body scan route just yet, see how my gloves work. Go safely,
    Steve:)

13. onTrek

onTrek New Member

I haven't lowed my seat, however, I did buy new gloves and ride with them unfastened; this does seem to alleviate most of the discomfort.

Appreciate all of the advice.

14. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny New Member

Play with bike position as the other guys have suggested you might also want to look at upgrading to carbon bars and stem, I had the same issue and adjusting saddle height, new gloves fixed some and the bars fixed the rest.

15. closesupport

closesupport Banned

try not gripping the bars quite as hard! try to relax a little, i found my hands tingled when i was at the velodrome, mainly from gripping the bars for dear life every time i hit a corner.