tingling in neck, shoulders, arms, and hands

piperpeters

May 13, 2004
In January I replaced my old bike with a new one and began training on it for the Houston-Austin MS150. I had my bike positioned at the time of purchase and had an upgrade saddle put on.
After my first 40 mile ride on my new bike, I began to feel a tingling sensation throughout my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. This sensation went away until my next longer ride. Eventually, the tingling persisted continuously, while not riding.
I went to the chiropractor and had xrays taken, everything looked okay although parts of my back were to tense to adjust. I took 2 weeks off before the MS150, yet still experienced the tingling.
. When On April 17 & 18, I rode in the MS150, and I'm still experiencing the tingling even though I haven't been on the bike since. When I flex my neck to look down (while not on my bike), I feel surge of tingling throughout my torso.
Can anyone help:(

Try raising your stem height - I used to get tingling hands after a long time (say upwards of 5hrs on the bike). A doctor friend of mine told me that the nerves leading to the hands exit the brain at the top of the spinal column. A stem that is too low causes a sharp bend in the neck at this point (as you need to be looking ahead to see where you're going, and the head is low due to the position that the stem forces you to adopt).

This in turn puts pressure on these nerves, leading to the tingling.

As with anything in cycling, make small adjustments - change your position on the bike gradually.