Tinnitus

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else out there suffers from this? I am having a terrible time with it and have noticed that it increases with the amount of stress I put on myself on the bicycle.

I am hoping that someone can advise me about this, or even share their own struggle with this.

I would consider myself a fast recreational rider logging around 120 to 150 miles a week, with a fast Saturday group ride. I enjoy pushing my limits and the pain it causes.

I first noticed the Tinnitus about a month ago after a very hard Saturday ride. I saw a P.T. and an E.N.T. about it and their findings were that there were no underlying medical causes. Also no significant hearing loss. The P.T. gave me some exercises to do, and the ENT. said it was my TMJ that was the cause and wanted me to take Valium at night to get my body to relax in the hopes of breaking the cycle of the Tinnitus. Neither seem to be working.

I had just gotten used to the level it was at after about 3 weeks, then after riding Sat, Sun, and Mon, of this week logging about 100 mi. the noise level increased on me again.

Cycling is what keeps me alive and it is starting to really get to me to think that I may have to give it up at some point because of this.

The anxiety that it creates is starting to keep me up at night and is also causing me nausea.

Any words of wisdom in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
I dont know if this is your problem, but I find my ears making all kinds of wierd sounds if I get dehydrated.

Go to sleep with some background noise, like a TV, radio or something (set it to low volume and set a timer for about 45 minutes after you expect to fall asleep so that it doesn't wake you when it shuts off). I have a mild case of it--most of the time it's not really noticeable, but a dead quiet room is borderline torture for me. Make sure you wear hearing protection anytime you're around loud noises for any length of time. Exposure to loud noises (music/concerts, machinery, etc.) will all make it worse.

I have tinnitus in my left ear as result of some frequent ear infections in my late 20s. I really feel your pain!!!! It really did a number on me! It was one of the worse times of my life. No one understands that has never experienced this before. I tried fans, white noise, all sorts of things........ Nothing worked for me. I just had to grin and bear it.

How long have you had this? Mine is still there - worse when I'm sick or stressed. What is happening is that your brain is sensing this signal from your ear as a warning signal so your attention is always brought to it - regardless if you try to ignore it or not. Over time, your brain will start to ignore it, and things will get MUCH better! It takes time for the brain to relearn that this is not a warning signal.

Hang in there! The bad times will pass! It took me about 8 months.

I've got it from too many skydives without earplugs. You will likely get used to it. You can drown out the tinnitus by by cranking up the volume and listening to Gibby Haynes deliver the ministry: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI[/video]

Originally Posted by alienator .

I've got it from too many skydives without earplugs. You will likely get used to it. You can drown out the tinnitus by by cranking up the volume and listening to Gibby Haynes deliver the ministry.
That makes my Tinnitus worse!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

To the OP: I have something going on in my head right now - allergies or something is making my ear ring more now. I just got done with a workout and its screaming at me right now!!!!

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that you all have to deal with this too, but it makes it a might easier on me just knowing you are out there. I have had it in a very mild form for years. Just a few months ago I had hernia surgery. Once I started back on the bike things were going well. Then one Saturday after a hard ride I kind of noticed it a little more. By the next morning it was really screaming! Over the last week or 2 I have started to get used to it. Some days are worse then others.
I've noticed that hard exercise, lots of processed sugars, and stress increase the sound. I actually have 2 distinct tones that I hear. The one in the left ear is the worst. Then there is a lower tone that seems to be everywhere if I concentrate on it. (I try not to think about it though).
It really panicked me at first. It got to where I couldn't sleep at night. It even started invading my dreams. Sometimes my left ear even hurts because of it.
My E.N.T. says it should lessen once the stress in my life relaxes a little. HA!
Anyway...I have decided that under no terms will I give up the bike, and I just have hope that It will either subside some, or I will get to the point that I don't notice it as much.
Thanks for your support,
Bryan

In my original post I stated that the problem got worse after the 3 days in a row ride. I did notice that after a day or 2 of taking it easy it subsided somewhat. This gave me some hope.
Also my sleeping has gotten better and the nausea has gone away. The worst thing about the sleeping is that I sleep with ear plugs to keep out other noise. I started doing this more than ten years ago when I had to live with my brother and his four kids. He turned me on to it and I have been doing it ever since. I tried sleeping without them for a night or two when this all started getting worse and I couldn't do it. Now I can fall asleep with them in again!

You will get through it! Like I said, it took me months to get over it. This past week, it has been alot worse than normal - I think I was starting to come down with something, but it passed. I've heard other say this, and I agree - Tinnitus is like an early warning system for the body. When something is going on, it lets you know. If you were stressing the body too much with your multi-day workouts, it may just be letting you know its overstressed.

I was a Navy pilot and got tinnitus from the loud engine noise from jet carrier aircraft. You learn to deal with it. I'm a bit disturbed to learn a PT has recommended regular use of valium. That is NEVER good advice without the confirmation of a doctor. It comes and goes and is very intense when the weather changes to low barometric pressure. An EENT doctor once suggested using a decongestant like Benadryl to take the intense edge off. That works for me, but it never really goes away; part of aging. I'm seventy-one.

Rich

Reactions: NCooper15
Interesting subject and yes I have that problem from time to time too. Tinnitus is related to certain vitamin deficiencies. This would make sense since you are really biking a lot and using up calories/energy. It sounds like you are more than likely calorie restricting. You need about 2500 calories a day if you were to do a basic form of cardio every day. 20-60 minutes a day. I am certain that you are way under that in calories.

Maybe you want to study what foods and supplements are good for hearing. I have a list around here somewhere if I find it I'll post it. It is also said to be the flow of blood in the veins of your next that you hear with that sound. More than likely if it gets louder after biking it seems like the vitamin deficiency makes more sense.

I think you should not take that symptom lightly.Observe what other symptoms accompany it. It could be a symptom of a high blood pressure you see, Tinnitus is not only caused by one factor there might be something you should look into and that may not be related to cycling at all. Even if the symptom will fade you should consult a doctor to be certain.

Consult your doctor? You can just take your blood pressure yourself. Mine is always normal. Why are people so brainwashed into consulting with their doctor about everything? Medicine has become this cult money religion. Go to God for all your needs he has all the answers. You will be healed only through him. He has your best interests in mind. He's all knowing.