tiny gripe about boredom, etc.

Good news: after keeping it up for a few months, my endurance has got
better and I can swim up to an hour at a reasonable pace with only 1
quick break. Bad news: I usually cop out after 45 min even though I can
go longer, because before I get too tired, I get too bored going back
and forth the lane! Not even the extra challenge of negotiating
obstacles (pregnant women, beer-bellied men, etc.) on Sunday morning
sessions seems to do the trick. I guess the solution is to pick up my
pace, if I want to burn more energy? A bit easier said than done but
I'll try.
Which brings me to another point: is (standard amateur) swimming not
really energy intensive? Yesterday I decided to jog home from the
municipal pool as it was closed when I got there and I wanted to get
exercise of some sort. In 5 min of jogging, I felt as out of breath as
nearly 30 min of swimming!

Seb

[email protected] wrote:

> Good news: after keeping it up for a few months, my endurance has got
> better and I can swim up to an hour at a reasonable pace with only 1
> quick break. Bad news: I usually cop out after 45 min even though I can
> go longer, because before I get too tired, I get too bored going back
> and forth the lane! Not even the extra challenge of negotiating
> obstacles (pregnant women, beer-bellied men, etc.) on Sunday morning
> sessions seems to do the trick. I guess the solution is to pick up my
> pace, if I want to burn more energy? A bit easier said than done but
> I'll try.

A better solution would be to join a masters team.

> Which brings me to another point: is (standard amateur) swimming not
> really energy intensive? Yesterday I decided to jog home from the
> municipal pool as it was closed when I got there and I wanted to get
> exercise of some sort. In 5 min of jogging, I felt as out of breath as
> nearly 30 min of swimming!
>
> Seb

Swimming is energy intensive, but you've gotten efficient at your
standard swim, so you have to work harder to get as tired as you used
to. The same thing will happen with jogging if you jog regularly, but
they are different sports, so they require different training. Swimming
doesn't train you for running, nor does running train you for swimming.

[snip]
> > Which brings me to another point: is (standard amateur) swimming not
> > really energy intensive? Yesterday I decided to jog home from the
> > municipal pool as it was closed when I got there and I wanted to get
> > exercise of some sort. In 5 min of jogging, I felt as out of breath as
> > nearly 30 min of swimming!
> >
> > Seb

> Swimming is energy intensive, but you've gotten efficient at your
> standard swim, so you have to work harder to get as tired as you used
> to. The same thing will happen with jogging if you jog regularly, but
> they are different sports, so they require different training. Swimming
> doesn't train you for running, nor does running train you for swimming.

Hmm, it could just be I'm still not swimming that energetically, I'm
mostly comparing myself to the 'Sunday dippers'. Anyway, I kinda hoped
that with all that swimming I'd have better breathing and circulation
which should have helped me jogging. I guess they are quite different
then.

Seb

On 9 Apr,
[email protected] wrote:

> Hmm, it could just be I'm still not swimming that energetically, I'm
> mostly comparing myself to the 'Sunday dippers'. Anyway, I kinda hoped
> that with all that swimming I'd have better breathing and circulation
> which should have helped me jogging. I guess they are quite different
> then.

I gave up running (temporarily, I hope) a couple of years ago due to a knee
injury. My aerobic fitness (for swimming) has vastly declined. You do get
some cross training benefit, but I find more the other way round. Running
utilises bigger muscles in the legs, so exercises the cardiovascular system
more thoroughly.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

[email protected] wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>>Which brings me to another point: is (standard amateur) swimming not
>>>really energy intensive? Yesterday I decided to jog home from the
>>>municipal pool as it was closed when I got there and I wanted to get
>>>exercise of some sort. In 5 min of jogging, I felt as out of breath as
>>>nearly 30 min of swimming!
>>>
>>>Seb

>>Swimming is energy intensive, but you've gotten efficient at your
>>standard swim, so you have to work harder to get as tired as you used
>>to. The same thing will happen with jogging if you jog regularly, but
>>they are different sports, so they require different training. Swimming
>>doesn't train you for running, nor does running train you for swimming.

> Hmm, it could just be I'm still not swimming that energetically, I'm
> mostly comparing myself to the 'Sunday dippers'. Anyway, I kinda hoped
> that with all that swimming I'd have better breathing and circulation
> which should have helped me jogging. I guess they are quite different
> then.

Your better breathing and circulation *will* help you jogging -- if you
keep jogging. But those big jogging muscles, not used in swimming to
support your weight, are out of shape.