Tip for polar heart rate monitor users

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Julian Radowsky, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Julian Radowsky

Julian Radowsky New Member

I had recently been experiencing very strange fluctuating readings from my HRM, notably when riding in a strong wind.

The monitor would jump from 135BPM to over 220, where it would remain until I placed my hand over the chest strap, wherupon the reading would settle to its correct value.

I contacted the polar agency here in SA about the problem - thinking that it could be a strap battery or chest electrode problem.

The rep asked me what kind of cycling jersey I wore - I told him it was made from a wicking fabric.

He then told me that the problem was STATIC ELECTRICITY that was being generated and discharged by the jersey rubbing on the bump in the center of the heart rate strap (where the Polar logo is), and that the flapping of the jersey in the wind was the cause of the high static build up.

AND NOW FOR THE TIP:
    The recomended solution was to cut a strip of rubber inner tube, and roll it onto the chest strap so that the centre bulge was completeley covered by the tube (do not cover the electrodes).

I tried the fix this weekend, and in 35kph winds, with my jersey flapping like crazy, NOT A SINGLE ERRATIC READING was recorded!

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

I've had similar problems with erratic readings on another brand of HRM, which I always thought was just a poor contact with eh electrodes to my skin. I'll give this a try....Thanks for the tip!

3. rek

rek New Member

Ah, cool, didn't think to try something like that.

For what it's worth, the Polar T61 transmitter apparently has some shielding to help prevent the buildup of static electricity (that is the difference between the T31-Coded and T61 units) .. but it obviously isn't quite enough for stronger winds.