Tip of the day

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jhuskey, Aug 25, 2009.

1. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 New Member

try an adjustable bottle holder - Target carries them. Then no worries on what bottle you have.

I freeze mine when it is hot. By the time I'm ready to start drinking I have cold water. :)

2. serra

serra New Member

Be certain the bike shop is open before you ride at a painfully slow speed, steering around the smallest bumps, because you're missing a spoke that someone managed to break while truing a wheel...:( Yeah it was me. The shame :eek:

3. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 New Member

use the blue painter tape to attach your route directions to your handlebars. no residue but holds very well, and can be used for multiple rides before losing its grip.

4. RichSPK

RichSPK New Member

If you carry water bottles in your jersey pockets, stick to smaller bottles. Taller bottles seem fine when you're standing straight, but they fall out when you bend over to check tire pressure.

5. Sam123

Sam123 New Member

Don't throw a banana when riding. I lost control and ended up with road rash all down my hip and lots of cuts on leg, ankle and elbow. And a buckled wheel.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The old "slip on a banana peel" trick. Heh! I think a good rule, in general, is don't throw anything. The roadside and trailside aren't garbage cans. If you're too lazy to dispose of something properly on ride, then stay home.

7. Sam123

Sam123 New Member

I had to throw it, it was soft and half hanging off. So it was going to fall anyway.

8. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i don't see any harm in tossing a banana peel or orange rind on the roadside. plastic water bottles and such, sure.

9. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i gave this a whirl. it works. best if you do as suggested above and let it go overnight. plus you get the added value of feeling like a teenager buying condoms at the pharmacy all over again.

10. alienator

You're absolutely right everyone should dispose of all their compostable materials by the roadside. Leftovers, stale salad, bad milk, cheeses, old wedding cake, dog crap from the back yard.....all of it: just chuck it out the window as you drive down the road.

11. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

well good for you and your habit of stuffing your jersey pockets with "leftovers, stale salad, bad milk, cheeses, old wedding cake, dog crap from your back yard" and keeping it there for the whole ride until you come across a waste basket. and did the window on your bicycle come as an option or is it standard?

12. alienator

What vision you have. Obviously there's zero impact if an individual acts irresponsbily. I mean, it's not as if individual actions can sum up to anything. That never happens. And of course, as cyclists, we have separate rules that allow us to do what's convenient. We aren't supposed to bear any personal responsibility or anything. You're right, obviously. The world is our sh1tcan.

13. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

and it is a "sh!tcan" due in part to sanctimonious moralists, too. but then there is that stripe of person who visits chat sites and casts his scorn on others in an unproductive manner or goes on about how there is a "forum for this and a forum for that" *(unless he is using the thread to launch another pointless personal attack) and how "things would be different if i were a moderator around here and these moderators just don't do their job putting threads in the proper forum." yes, it is an interesting place, this world. so in the end, while you rant about how all these other people are getting up your nose and how no one is doing anything about the environment or organ donation, you won't mind so much if the rest of us just get on with enjoying the world?

so eagerly expecting your response, which will be the last word on this bit.

14. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

this thread has become apart of that sh!tcan. thanks alienator.

15. jasikamarshel

jasikamarshel New Member

Tip of the day,you will start by explaining how I check behind me while riding. If you are just starting out as a newbie you will discover that if you turn your head to the left to check out traffic or a buddy behind you your bike will tend to swerve right and holding the bike in a straight line gets easier as you get experience and some like to use a mirror for a check your next vehicle 's position,this a tip really important for you.

16. jnwii

jnwii New Member

Hi, I'm still newbie at road cycling, and was wondering how often should i take a sip of water. I'm casually riding at 25km/hr on flat road. thanks

17. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Dont discard your old drivers license when you renew it. Place it in your saddle bag so you never ride with out any ID. You can add contact numbers on the back side by placing a strip of masking tape. Hopefully you never need it.:cool:

18. reginakoons

reginakoons New Member

Thank you so much for this thread! Truly!

19. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If it's hot out (warmer than 85F or 80F with high humidity) look at about 20oz per hour/hour and a quarter. If you're just casually riding along then maybe a large cycling water bottle should last about an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half.

If it's over 100F then that'll be reduced significantly - and it'll be time to stick those bottles in the freezer for a while before heading out for a ride - or using lots of ice cubes.

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I recommend that if you not familiar with your state and local cycling laws to research these and read every one. Many are available online.

If you riding a difficult ride especially during warm weather try and avoid stopping for long periods of time to rest. If you are having some difficulty slow your pace.
    Stopping completely eliminates the cooling properties of movement, you will feel the heat immediately when you quit moving, and extended stops promotes lactic acid build up.