Tip of the day

It's important to protect exposed skin (face) when cycling in the heat.

But you also need to protect exposed skin while cycling in the cold, windy conditions too.

Before setting out on a particular windy/cold day, make sure to apply some vaseline to your face.
This lessens the effect of wind/chill on exposed skin and it helps protect the skin against the elements.

Another tip : if after a ride you suffer from "heavy legs" ie. your legs are aching from the build up of lactic acid, one way of reducing the "heavy legs" feeling is to lie on your back with your legs raised at a height using a chair (or some other object).
And just lie there for 5 - 10 mins relaxing.

This helps drain the blood flow from the legs and helps to reduce the lactic acid compressing in to your leg muscles.

Alternatively, I find going for a swim immediately after a ride dissipates the "heavy legs" feeling too.

limerickman said:
It's important to protect exposed skin (face) when cycling in the heat.

But you also need to protect exposed skin while cycling in the cold, windy conditions too.

Before setting out on a particular windy/cold day, make sure to apply some vaseline to your face.
This lessens the effect of wind/chill on exposed skin and it helps protect the skin against the elements.

While you have the vaseline out apply some to your downtube which will help keep sticky sports drink residue build up.

One final tip, for very cold weather cycling.

This is probably one of the more unusual tips.
And it is strictly for you anaemic types.

If you’re going out for a spin on a particularly cold day, it might be an idea to get your other half to buy you a pair of tights (I don’t know what they call them, stateside) to wear under your leggings.

I kid you not.

Tights are excellent for maintaining body heat – especially when worn under cycling leggings.

(for the record, the L-Man never suffers from the cold – so I never have to resort to this tip because I'm an 'ard *******, but I do know some cyclists who hate the cold and use this tip).

limerickman said:

If you’re going out for a spin on a particularly cold day, it might be an idea to get your other half to buy you a pair of tights (I don’t know what they call them, stateside) to wear under your leggings.

I kid you not.

Tights are excellent for maintaining body heat – especially when worn under cycling leggings.

(for the record, the L-Man never suffers from the cold – so I never have to resort to this tip because I'm an 'ard *******, but I do know some cyclists who hate the cold and use this tip).
remember to take them off when you get home to the boss or she may feel threatened ...:)

hod65 said:
remember to take them off when you get home to the boss or she may feel threatened ...:)

True.

Bad enough wearing lycra : to be accused of cross dressing is a step too far in my book!

It is always a sad situation when you are considered to be prettier than your wife.:eek:

alienator said:
Don't be shy with the chamois butter.

Tried chamois butter (the famous Swiss one that begins with an 'A') and Walmart's extra strength lotion - couldn't tell the difference, but the $15 saved was probably put to some good use by my wife...:rolleyes:

Jus' sayin'...

When looking for a woman/girl to follow in a group, focus ..............................................

kdelong said:
Before a race, especially a time trial, crumple your paper number and attach it low on the back of your jersey with extra pins. This will keep it from billowing like a small drogue parachute while you ride.

You could always use a couple of saftey pins along the top edge or a couple of small but well placed pieces of 'tub tape' - there really is a good use for that horrid tubular tire tape that kinda sticks your expensive tires to the rim.

slovakguy said:
only mentioning it because of the sweat issue, but you might also consider sweatbands offered by "halo". they use a tiny horizontal rubber (?) barrier to channel your forehead sweat off towards your ears. keeps that annoying trickle from getting on the lenses of your glasses.

I like using the cloth Headsweats for most rides...but the rubber 'halo' band is GREAT for rides on the trainer. I just don't care for the extra pressure under the helmet that the halo bands sometimes cause.:)

alienator said:
When looking for a woman/girl to follow in a group, focus..................moderated

hope theres no women reading this ,as its insulting juvinile **** are you high or somthing?:(

hod65 said:
hope theres no women reading this ,as its insulting juvinile **** are you high or somthing?:(

Here, here. Well put. Women have enough issues dealing with creeps without having guys queing up behind them to leer while they ride their bikes. And you wonder why many women choose to do activities where there are no men around...

hod65 said:

Golly, Mommy. I'm sorry. I'll try to take your admonishments to heart. Honest. Really.

alienator said:
Golly, Mommy. I'm sorry. I'll try to take your admonishments to heart. Honest. Really.
when mommy away the mouse plays on the computer:rolleyes:

alienator said:

I strongly suggest that you cool down - and start engaging with the rest of the membership in a less aggressive way.

Understood?

limerickman said:

I kid you not.

I've never heard of that... and I've had to deal with the same fecking freezing easterly winds during winter that you did.

I remember when I were a lad, cycling up over the Trough of Bowland, uphill bothways into a head wind in 4 foot of snow after 120 miles on the bike with only a plate of beans on toast at Scorton Cafe to fill my belly... and I still didn't wear womens tights.