Tip of the day

If you break a spoke while on the road and your wheel is so far out it will not spin freely and do not carry a spare spoke (we non-touring types almost never do) clear or tie the broken spoke out of the way and then compensate for the missing spoke by tightening up the two adjacent opposite pull spokes each side to take out the worst of the wobble. Then back the brake adjustment off with the quick release or the adjuster if you need to to get rid of the rub, and it can be enough to get you home or to a shop for repair.

limerickman said:
I strongly suggest that you cool down - and start engaging with the rest of the membership in a less aggressive way.

Understood?

That wasn't aggressive. It was sarcasm. Is sarcasm banned now?

---> Get a massage shower head WITH a hose extention for your shower <---

I've used a hose extention my entire life, as it is great for a good detailed shower.

The massage head is great to do a nice hot (or cold) massage on your leg muscles after a long ride or session on your bike, and the hose extention gives you the "up close" option.

(You can get it at any Home Depot or local hardware store. It switches between 3-4 different streams.)

-Greg

gman0482 said:
---> Get a massage shower head WITH a hose extention for your shower <---

I've used a hose extention my entire life, as it is great for a good detailed shower.

The massage head is great to do a nice hot (or cold) massage on your leg muscles after a long ride or session on your bike, and the hose extention gives you the "up close" option.

(You can get it at any Home Depot or local hardware store. It switches between 3-4 different streams.)

-Greg
But watch where you aim it when it is on the massage setting:eek:!

gman0482 said:
---> get a massage shower head with a hose extention for your shower <---

i've used a hose extention my entire life, as it is great for a good detailed shower.

The massage head is great to do a ....

-greg
tmi

gman0482 said:
TMI ??? Are you sure ?? Cause I think "too much info" would be telling you how my girlfiriend gives me massages.

^^^
bing.gif
^^^

gman0482 said:
TMI ??? Are you sure ?? Cause I think "too much info" would be telling you how my girlfiriend gives me massages.

That'd be almost as bad as listening to you go on about how you massage yourself.

When you change your tires save the old ones and use them on your trainer.

patch kits can save you money. i cut the big squares or circle patches in half and get twice as much for the price of one x's 2 because i'm using an old tube-again-and a small patch is all you usually will really need anyways.

not to mention that sometimes with a big patch you can get a restrictive 'bubble' in the tube meaning once it's on the tube and cured and you put air into the tube, the section with the patch will not be able to expand along with the rest of the tube.

make sense?

You can ride faster on a painted line than on bare tarmac. When it is cold and windy and raining hard think of all the fair weather riders who are sat inside and smile.

I'm an advocate for patching tubes also!

Too much waist going on in this world.
Sure, you can go out and spend $3-4 on a new tube, but why when you can spend .20 on a patch, and just patch the tube. I usually limit a tube to 5-7 patches, as thats about the limit. Bicycles are tube and tire whores= rubber resource mongers.

What about being able to patch where the valve stem is ? Anyone know any special tricks to getting around the base of a valve stem?

jhuskey said:
If you have two bottle cages and are not using both for water storage take an old bottle and cut off the top or any plastic bottle that will fit.
You can roll up a windbreaker and stash it in the bottle in case of foul weather or cold decents off a mountain.

That is a fantastic tip. Great for winter when water intake isn't so intense.

jhuskey said:
If you have two bottle cages and are not using both for water storage take an old bottle and cut off the top or any plastic bottle that will fit.
You can roll up a windbreaker and stash it in the bottle in case of foul weather or cold decents off a mountain.

Yes, that's definitely a good tip, I leaned something similar from my friends, they all do it... Except instead of putting clothing in it, we all use the "trash can" for emergency kits. Extra tube, tire patch kit, portable pump, hex wrenches, ect. just in case of an emergency we won't end up walking home... whch can be a looong way.

Plus I find carrying a wind or rain jacket in one of my back pockets very easy.

Dr_hush1417 said:
Yes, that's definitely a good tip, I leaned something similar from my friends, they all do it... Except instead of putting clothing in it, we all use the "trash can" for emergency kits. Extra tube, tire patch kit, portable pump, hex wrenches, ect. just in case of an emergency we won't end up walking home... whch can be a looong way.

Plus I find carrying a wind or rain jacket in one of my back pockets very easy.

Of course there's always that silly little seatbag that people can use. Of course, to use a seatbag means having to give up a few cool points and pose points, but heck, I lot of regular folks find 'em useful. As a bonus, that leaves a second water bottle cage free for--here it comes--a second water bottle.

I read this one and haven't tried it since I don't have the product in the house and haven't needed it as yet.
To clean a stained or dirty water bottle fill with warm water and drop in a denture cleaning tablet and leave overnight.
It is supposed to make to inside like new.

jhuskey said:
...To clean a stained or dirty water bottle fill with warm water and drop in a denture cleaning tablet and leave overnight.
It is supposed to make to inside like new.
If you don't have any denture tablets, you can use baking soda, it works just as well.