Tip of the day

I am back on the bike! Amazing! This time I am going to play some xbox while I spin. Rain is coming down here and has been for 2 days. Glad to have this new product Spin Desk.
I do not have any pics on my bike. Will do as soon as I can.
Otherwise I bought it for $79 @ SpinDesk™ Exercise While Using Your Laptop.
Maybe on there website is picture. But mounts easy and is very stable and comfortable. No complaints.

Really? A left shoulder check 'makes' you swerve right? I would think the opposite will happen. As a rider attempts to look behind him, upper body weight is shifted to the left, making the bike veer left. I have been teaching my grandkids to make their 'behind me' checks, trying to rotate the head, at the neck only and do it as fast as they can. With practice, a rider learns to trust those fraction-of-a second checks, to make safe decisions without veering left or right.

Log your rides. How many kilometers/miles you covered? What was your average speed?
How many kilometers have you been on these tyres? When did you get your first puncture, and how? How many kilometers have you been using this chain... etc... etc...

All the posts I see about stuck seatpost I suggest removing your seat post and cleaning it along with your normal seasonal maintenance.This should keep it from seizing up on you.

Ozgur.Nevres said:
Log your rides. How many kilometers/miles you covered? What was your average speed?
How many kilometers have you been on these tyres? When did you get your first puncture, and how? How many kilometers have you been using this chain... etc... etc...

That is some great advice, tells you all kinds of things about yourself and your bike maintenance checkups. Here is a great free site to help: http://www.mapmyride.com/

The tips of your sunglasses are perfect for scratching annoying head itches through small helmet vents.

Mojo Johnson said:
The tips of your sunglasses are perfect for scratching annoying head itches through small helmet vents.

Sunglasses; I cut the ends off the arms of my cycling ones so when I have a skull cap on the arms don’t get pushed forward and then the sunglasses slide down my nose.
I want them to stay where I put them:cool:

Check your chain for wear. Once upon a time I didn't think about it, and wore out my freewheel :( Better to pay 10 - 20 on a new chain than replace both for 40 - 80.

Mojo Johnson said:
thats a prety usefull one hadnt thought of that itches can be annoying

have had abit of creaking noise from the crank on the sprocket side ,by lieing the bike on its side and putting bit of chain oil as close to the beering as possible and leaving the bike on its side over night has elliminated the creacking noise ....have done this a few times works well....

serra said:
Check your chain for wear. Once upon a time I didn't think about it, and wore out my freewheel :( Better to pay 10 - 20 on a new chain than replace both for 40 - 80.
what is the general mileage for a chains life hav nearly 3000 up on mine well oiled and looked after etc....

How to do the shift: No not gear shift but your personal equipment as when the equipment in your bibs my get a little out of place and needs to be repositioned. If you are on a solo ride or with a close buddy you can do all the realignment you need but if you are in a large mixed group it is more difficult to be discrete.
First drop back of to the outside of the pack to the outside, pretent to reach down for your water bottle, extent your thumb at an angle toward your stomach and gently raise your jesey.Now flatten your palm against you stomach and gently press downward.Make the necessary adjustment and pull your hand back out keeping your palm pressed against your stomach. This should be a delibeate movement but not a quick jerky one.Don't let the bibs snap back harshly but gently in a fluid motion. You can now retrieve the water bottle to finish the process.
You can practice this in front of a mirror to get the technique pefected but I wouldn't do it with a witness and advise against talking about it. Remember taking more than 3-4 seconds in this process is bad form.:)

jhuskey said:
How to do the shift: No not gear shift but your personal equipment as when the equipment in your bibs my get a little out of place and needs to be repositioned. If you are on a solo ride or with a close buddy you can do all the realignment you need but if you are in a large mixed group it is more difficult to be discrete.
First drop back of to the outside of the pack to the outside, pretent to reach down for your water bottle, extent your thumb at an angle toward your stomach and gently raise your jesey.Now flatten your palm against you stomach and gently press downward.Make the necessary adjustment and pull your hand back out keeping your palm pressed against your stomach. This should be a delibeate movement but not a quick jerky one.Don't let the bibs snap back harshly but gently in a fluid motion. You can now retrieve the water bottle to finish the process.
You can practice this in front of a mirror to get the technique pefected but I wouldn't do it with a witness and advise against talking about it. Remember taking more than 3-4 seconds in this process is bad form.:)

**warning! may result in blindness or the development of hairy palms.**

How about the obvious tip? WEAR A HELMET! (wear gloves too or you'll be sorry), and the next tip: when you shave your legs tell no-one

Here's an interesting one. I didn't have a water bottle for my Saturday ride. No time to buy a new one, and if you have ever tried using the Arrowhead (or any other vendor) water bottle, they just bounce out. Ah, but get a Snapple. Those bottles fit snugly in the cage, quite perfectly in my opinion. So whether you want a lemon tea, or refill it with water, you're good to go. Works great in a pinch. Just make sure to drink at the stop lights since you have to unscrew the top. So the tip: Use a Snapple bottle if you don't have a standard bottle for your bike.