Tipping Stage 18: Vuelta a España: Talavera de la Reina - Ávila, 165km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Vuelta a España Stage 18: Talavera de la Reina - Ávila, 165km

lavuelta.com said:
The mountains and the emotion return in the 18th stage of the Vuelta. On Thursday 17th September, on the threshold of Madrid, the riders will race from Talavera to Ávila. They will cover a total of 165 kilometres during the day’s stage. And, more importantly: three climbs with Mountain Classification points.
The 1st category Mijares (km. 52) will serve as an appetizer before the riders reach El Barraco, ae Spanish city with an extensive cycling history. The race then takes in a climb that appears for the first time in the Vuelta: the 2nd category Collado Mediano (km. 114), with stretches of 10%, 11% and even 12%. Despite having been classified as a 2nd category climb, it is sure to delight cycling fans and leave the riders without breath before they tackle the 3rd category Boqueron and the traditional climb to the city walls of Avila. With its revolutionary design, this stage represents the perfect opportunity for the strongest to attack from afar.

Previous editions: Talavera has hosted stage starts, the most recent of which took place in 2007. The finish line on that ocassion was also located in Avila, with victory going to Luis Pérez. However, this year’s route is different, although equally mountainous. Ávila and its city walls are one of the settings that never disappoint in the Vuelta. Since 1971, the city has hosted 22 stage finishes, with victories going to such leading cyclists such as Hinault, Fignon, Jalabert, Vandenbroucke and Rominger.

I think this is a loss but I will keep going.

I'll have a crack at stage 19 - it's got to be the most eventful stage. Well, it should be if Sanchez and Euskaltel do what we know they can do.