Tips For A Beginner To Cycling Training Looking To Lose Weight

JamieThePooh

Nov 9, 2015
Hello, guys! I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this.

I am currently a little overweight. I'm not obese but I am more than a few pounds away from my ideal weight, and cycling has always been one of my favorite physical activities, so I figure I can kill two birds with one stone and lose some weight while doing something fun. I'm not a beginner per se, but I've never really trained with a bicycle before. I used to do triathlons as a young girl, but training then was just going to the park and riding until my dad wanted to leave.

Anyway, I have a bike that I sometimes use to commute to school, but I live very close to campus and the trail is pretty plain, so it's not hard on me physically. So, what would be a good routine to get me started on bicycle training? Should I aim for a certain amount of time or distance? How should my training evolve? I'm looking to do this purely for myself right now, and I don't have in mind competing, so any tips you guys can share with me are greatly appreciated! I understand the topic is very broad but if you can at least steer me in a direction that would be great.

It's also not very safe to be outside or ride around my neighborhood at night, so I'm considering buying a bicycle trainer. I have the space for it at home and I can work training into my schedule with much more ease that way. Is that a good alternative to riding on the road? Should I look into a stationary bicycle instead? I could probably ride on the road during the weekend, but I reckon that limiting training to that schedule is not going to be so effective in helping me with my training.

Thanks in advance for your imput!

I only use my stationary bicycle only when it's winter time and the snow is really deep, but then again, I also like enjoy outdoors. If you don't feel safe riding your bike in your neighborhood then don't. Stationary bike is also good if you're trying to get into cycling as a form of exercise and outdoors aren't appealing to you. You can use it while you watch your favorite TV show or a movie and improve your fitness that way. That can also be a good way to sort of earn some conditioning and maybe go outside and do some bigger distances.

During the winter months then using a stationary bicycle indoors might be alright, it will certainly burn calories that's for sure, but as the weather start to come nicer again, I'd definitely prefer to go out and about instead.

Maybe you don't feel safe riding on the roads because it's new to you, but the only way to overcome that is experience.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I haven't made an actual training plan yet, but these are all great tips.

pwarbi said:
During the winter months then using a stationary bicycle indoors might be alright, it will certainly burn calories that's for sure, but as the weather start to come nicer again, I'd definitely prefer to go out and about instead.

Maybe you don't feel safe riding on the roads because it's new to you, but the only way to overcome that is experience.
My issue with riding on the road doesn't have to do with fear of other vehicles, but rather delinquency, It's not safe early in the morning or at night, which is when I could train, so I don't want to risk getting my bike or other things stolen, or worse. In terms of how easy it would be to ride on the road, there's actually very little traffic outside of working hours, so that's not an issue.

Hello. Regular bike is always a better solution. So many reasons for that. Fresh air and the ground resistance being two very important ones.
Cycling in your room is good when the weather is not preferable for outside. If it is too cold or it is raining it is better to stay indoors. You get the picture. I think that if you have money you should by it but use it only when you have to. As for the weight loss it is very simple and you could do great with riding a bicycle. The secret is in calories, meaning discipline. I will explain. You have to calculate how many calories you burn daily. If you want to reduce weight you need to make a calorie deficit. Example, if you burn 2500 calories daily you need to take in 2000 calories daily if you want to loose aprox. half kg in one week. It is a deficit of 3500 calories in 7 days. Cycling and eating good food will do the trick. Good luck.

Djordje87 said:
Hello. Regular bike is always a better solution. So many reasons for that. Fresh air and the ground resistance being two very important ones.
Cycling in your room is good when the weather is not preferable for outside. If it is too cold or it is raining it is better to stay indoors. You get the picture. I think that if you have money you should by it but use it only when you have to. As for the weight loss it is very simple and you could do great with riding a bicycle. The secret is in calories, meaning discipline. I will explain. You have to calculate how many calories you burn daily. If you want to reduce weight you need to make a calorie deficit. Example, if you burn 2500 calories daily you need to take in 2000 calories daily if you want to loose aprox. half kg in one week. It is a deficit of 3500 calories in 7 days. Cycling and eating good food will do the trick. Good luck.
These are all very good recommendations. Thanks for sharing!

I have found some apps are good for keeping track of caloric intake, and that also serve as a food journal of sorts. MyFitnessPal is the one I've used the most in the past, and it works great for me. The trick is in being good counting calories, because a lot of it can be tricky. In that app, for example, you can find various foods that are already registered to help you keep track of calories, but not everything is in there, and me being from overseas makes it a bit more complicated when there's a food that its not registered and I don't have access to its nutritional values, but I manage most of the time.

I would suggest leaving out an extra 20 minutes for school and instead of going straight to school take a long route or ride around the block. Just use that extra twenty minutes to cycle longer. That should help getting you started on your weight loss.

I already have a Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer and I'm considering buying a ANT+ speed sensor so that I can use Zwift. http://www.zwift.com It's almost as good as being outside when you can't.

A regular bike always beats a stationary bike because there's nothing like the feeling of fresh air hitting your face and great views while cycling outdoors.

In losing weight, a good diet plan would come in handy basically pick a plan that doesn't sacrifice your eating habits, eat the same amount but eat healthier food.

If you cannot afford to bike at night for safety and security issues then I guess you have to find the time during the day otherwise your only choice is the stationary bike which is not desirable. I get bored in pushing the pedal and not moving regardless if there is a speed meter that gives me a semblance of movement. Whenever I would bike, what gives me the energy is the sight-seeing part of where I bike. That's why I enjoy riding inside our village because there's a lot to see like the trees and plants here.

Well, exercise is a benefit. Doesn't matter if you can do it outdoors or indoors, you will see amazing results just by exercising, specially if you haven't been doing anything for a while. However, you can spend hours and hours doing cardio, but you won't see any weight loosing, if you don't change your diet. Also, when you change your food habits, eat healthier meals, and add some exercise, you will see changes faster. And if you are a guy, you will see the results even faster, you guys can loose weight way more easier than women.

As long as you can sustain your exercise, then even just riding a stationary bike for 30-45 minutes every day can really help you lose weight. you can also alternate it with other exercises so that you can give time for your leg muscles to rest before going at it again. that way, you won't give up easily with your routine.

Whatever you do, don't buy a stationary bike. If you can afford it, buy a smart trainer and use your own bike.

A smart trainer can "talk" to the internet and be controlled by internet apps. Zwift, mentioned above by someone else, is the most popular one. When you ride uphill in the Zwift world your trainer resistance will get harder, and similarly easier when going downhill or drafting other riders. There are group rides and races as well. It makes the indoor riding experience a whole lot less boring.

I prefer The Sufferfest myself as I like their training programs, high intensity intervals, videos and music. It's made me a faster rider and helped me drop the weight I put on after a bad crash.

So....if you think you can stomach riding indoors, go for a smart trainer. I have the Wahoo Kickr Snap but there are many others.

Good luck and good cycling.

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on stationary bikes. I completely agree with you - investing in a smart trainer is definitely worth it. The ability to connect with online apps like Zwift adds a whole new level of excitement to indoor riding. Personally, I'm a fan of The Sufferfest too for their training programs. It's great to have options that keep us engaged and motivated during those indoor sessions. Keep on cycling, my friend! :)

Absolutely! Smart trainers can truly revolutionize your indoor cycling experience. The immersive aspect of platforms like Zwift and The Sufferfest is undeniable. When it comes to sprinting on stationary bikes, focus on short, intense intervals to build power and speed. Incorporate standing sprints as well, which simulate the dynamics of outdoor sprinting more closely. Remember, perfecting your sprint takes practice and patience. Happy training! :)

Absolutely, smart trainers indeed enhance indoor cycling! For those who love mountain biking like wmtt140, consider using terrain-following features to mimic outdoor trails, engaging more muscles and adding a fun challenge. Additionally, varying interval lengths can help prevent plateaus and keep workouts interesting. Happy riding!

Why not just eat less and ride more? it's pretty simple, stay off booze and junk food, eat real food, ride your bike every day. Its not hard.

Absolutely, focusing on a balanced diet and regular cycling can be an effective way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, it's important to remember that everyone's body and nutritional needs are different. What works for one person may not work for another. Additionally, it's important to listen to your body and ensure you're getting enough fuel for your rides, especially for longer or more intense cycling sessions. Incorporating a variety of nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins, can help provide the energy and nutrients needed for cycling and overall health. And don't forget to stay hydrated!

Yeah I do agree with that Tim. Eat real food, show up every day and ride your bike. Its not rocket science.