Tips for a stubbon tyre?

Duncan Smith

Guest
I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
on!

Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
difficult?

Thanks,

Duncan

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:20:26 -0700, Duncan Smith wrote:

> I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and only
> succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not on!
>
> Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> difficult?

Yes because the bead opposite where you are trying to get it on needs to
seat down in the lowest part of the rim. Have you been applying some
tension where you are trying to lever it on and then running round the
rest of the tyre with your free hand pushing the bead into the center of
the rim before trying to work the rest of the bead over? That usually
helps a lot. Need to be careful though that the tyre is not inflated too
much and pushing it back out.

Tony

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On Aug 22, 2:20 pm, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
> only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
> on!
>
> Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> difficult?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

My bike has, I think, 27" x 1 1/4" (I may be mistaken, but it doesn't
matter). I had my local bike shop put the back tyre on, as I was
REALLY struggling. My thinking here was that they do tyres all the
time: they'll be experts. Well, the mechanic started cursing after
about 10 minutes. He got the tyre on with an almighty scream after
about 25 minutes. On getting his breath back, he said that he was
afraid of bending the wheel, and never, ever, ever bring it back (that
last bit I assume was a joke).

It's a good job I've got "Slime" tape: I wouldn't fancy trying to
repair (or rather, put all back together again after repairing) an
unwanted hole in the inner tube!

Anyway, the point of this ramble is that you might just have a tight
tyre/wheel combination.

PhilD

--
<><

On 22 Aug, 14:20, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
> only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
> on!
>
> Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> difficult?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

Boiling water on the tyres makes them more flexible.

On 22 Aug, 14:20, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> difficult?

Yes. Assuming you're positioning the diametrically-opposite bead in
the well between the rim shoulders, where the spoke nipples live, then
layers of rim tape will increase the effective diameter of the circle
you're trying to push the tyre over.

Cheers,
W.

Duncan Smith wrote:
> I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
> only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
> on!
>
> Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> difficult?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

Yes, I reckon it might be all that rim tape.
Why so much of it?
Roger Thorpe

PhilD <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2:20 pm, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
> > only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
> > on!
> >
> > Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> > difficult?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Duncan

> My bike has, I think, 27" x 1 1/4" (I may be mistaken, but it doesn't
> matter). I had my local bike shop put the back tyre on, as I was
> REALLY struggling. My thinking here was that they do tyres all the
> time: they'll be experts. Well, the mechanic started cursing after
> about 10 minutes. He got the tyre on with an almighty scream after
> about 25 minutes. On getting his breath back, he said that he was
> afraid of bending the wheel, and never, ever, ever bring it back (that
> last bit I assume was a joke).

heh, i have marthons on my old mountain bike, which are fairly snug seem
to need a lot of effort, the bike shop that first fitted them did say
they where rather stiff to get on.

> It's a good job I've got "Slime" tape: I wouldn't fancy trying to
> repair (or rather, put all back together again after repairing) an
> unwanted hole in the inner tube!
>
> Anyway, the point of this ramble is that you might just have a tight
> tyre/wheel combination.

yup.

> PhilD
>
> --
> <><

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Duncan Smith said:
I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
on!

Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
difficult?

Thanks,

Duncan

My tyres are absolutely impossible to get on the mavic ma40 rims on my fixed wheel bike. The solution is washing up liquid, just rub it all around the last bit of the tyre rim and wheel rim you are trying to pop in, and it should act as a lubricant letting the tyre slide in with a bit of pressure, works like magic!

On Aug 22, 3:10 pm, Roger Thorpe
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
> > I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
> > only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
> > on!

> > Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
> > difficult?

> > Thanks,

> > Duncan

> Yes, I reckon it might be all that rim tape.
> Why so much of it?
> Roger Thorpe

Thanks all, that gives me some other ideas to try out.

Ended up with so much rim-tape because (unlike the factory fitted tape
that's got strong sticky stuff and never moves a mm) the only tape
I've found in LBS's is prone to easily budging about, exposing spoke
holes and ending in punctures - after a few I'd got into the habit of
putting one more on - guess I've found the limit.

Hope to get this nailed before the winter commute, don't fancy been
stuck out in the sticks an hour from nowhere and faffing about in sub-
zero for an hour! Could always carry around some washing-up liquid in
the pannier, but that might make a nasty mess, maybe some talc would
be almost as good?

Cheers

Duncan

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:04:04 -0700, Duncan Smith wrote:

> Ended up with so much rim-tape because (unlike the factory fitted tape
> that's got strong sticky stuff and never moves a mm) the only tape I've
> found in LBS's is prone to easily budging about, exposing spoke holes
> and ending in punctures - after a few I'd got into the habit of putting
> one more on - guess I've found the limit.

Try Velox tape in the right width. There is only one rim tape worth
using.

--

Duncan Smith said the following on 22/08/2007 16:04:

> Ended up with so much rim-tape because (unlike the factory fitted tape
> that's got strong sticky stuff and never moves a mm) the only tape
> I've found in LBS's is prone to easily budging about, exposing spoke
> holes and ending in punctures - after a few I'd got into the habit of
> putting one more on - guess I've found the limit.

I swear by Velox cloth rim tape - it's self adhesive, so stays put.
It's a bit more expensive than the elastic bands sold by bike shops - on
eBay around £5 - £6 for two tapes.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Roger Merriman said the following on 22/08/2007 15:14:

> heh, i have marthons on my old mountain bike, which are fairly snug seem
> to need a lot of effort, the bike shop that first fitted them did say
> they where rather stiff to get on.

Last night I took the Conti Speed Kings off my MTB, which were a right
b'stard to fit and get running straight, and replaced them with Kenda
Nevegals that just seemed to fall on straight and true.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Aug 22, 4:09 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:04:04 -0700, Duncan Smith wrote:
>
> > Ended up with so much rim-tape because (unlike the factory fitted tape
> > that's got strong sticky stuff and never moves a mm) the only tape I've
> > found in LBS's is prone to easily budging about, exposing spoke holes
> > and ending in punctures - after a few I'd got into the habit of putting
> > one more on - guess I've found the limit.

> Try Velox tape in the right width. There is only one rim tape worth
> using.

That's encouraging - coincidentally I'd just ordered 5 Velox rolls
from Wiggle (also 5 of type Specialized - but they'll probably go
straight in the bin now)

When you say right width, do you mean exactly for the rim, or just
roughly for the application? Wiggle just offer narrow for road and
wide for ATB.

Thanks,

Duncan

On 22 Aug,
[email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:

> heh, i have marthons on my old mountain bike, which are fairly snug seem
> to need a lot of effort, the bike shop that first fitted them did say
> they where rather stiff to get on.

I very rarely use a tyre lever to fit a tyre, just pushing the bead down in
to the rim usually releases enough to get the rest of the bead over.

However, with marathons I had to resort to tyre levers after a long struggle.
--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:33:03 +0000, Duncan Smith wrote:

> When you say right width, do you mean exactly for the rim, or just
> roughly for the application? Wiggle just offer narrow for road and wide
> for ATB.

It comes in three widths, 11, 17 and 22mm, but as long as you don't fit a
narrow tape to a wide rim or vice versa you should be fine.

--

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> Roger Merriman said the following on 22/08/2007 15:14:
>
> > heh, i have marthons on my old mountain bike, which are fairly snug seem
> > to need a lot of effort, the bike shop that first fitted them did say
> > they where rather stiff to get on.

> Last night I took the Conti Speed Kings off my MTB, which were a right
> b'stard to fit and get running straight, and replaced them with Kenda
> Nevegals that just seemed to fall on straight and true.

yup, and the irc mudmad on the same bike and wheels came off easly and
back on. with out tools. while the marthons are full on get a cup of
coffee and the tools..

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've just spent over an hour trying to get a 700x23c onto a rim and
>only succeeded in snapping two park-tool tyre levers - tyres still not
>on!
>
>Could too much rim tape (maybe up to four sets now) be making it more
>difficult?

Some combinations of tyres and wheels are just b*stards - my own
Vittoria 700x23c on Campagnolo wheels being a good example. Being fed
up with having sore hands for a week after every puncture repair, I
finally invested in two tools:

A Var tyre-lever for on the road:

<http://www.vartools.com/fr/fiche_produit.php?id=511&shop=&pro=>

and a Koolstop bead jack for the workshop:

<http://www.koolstop.com/Accessories/index.php#Anchor-without-3800>

Both of them work by pulling up on the tyre bead from an anchor point
on the other side of the rim, so there is no risk of pinching the
tube, which could happen if you try to use traditional levers to force
a recalcitrant tyre back on.

> When you say right width, do you mean exactly for the rim, or just
> roughly for the application?

You want the tape to cover pointy/sharp/hole-y bits in the rim but not go
up the rim.

--
Mark T

On 22 Aug, 18:22, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:33:03 +0000, Duncan Smith wrote:
>

> > When you say right width, do you mean exactly for the rim, or just
> > roughly for the application? Wiggle just offer narrow for road and wide
> > for ATB.

> It comes in three widths, 11, 17 and 22mm, but as long as you don't fit a
> narrow tape to a wide rim or vice versa you should be fine.
>

> --
> Tony
>

> " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
> Bertrand Russell

heh the front tire has just masking tape on it, been a few months so
far no problems, marthons 100psi and normal inners ie not light weight

roger

Andrew Price wrote:

> Some combinations of tyres and wheels are just b*stards - my own
> Vittoria 700x23c on Campagnolo wheels being a good example. Being fed
> up with having sore hands for a week after every puncture repair, I
> finally invested in two tools:

I bet that's mostly down to your wheels because Vittoria Open Corsas, for
example, are relatively easy-fitting tyres, with a bead diameter slightly
larger than many other tyres of supposedly the same size.

I've heard that a lot about Campag wheels and rims. Doesn't encourage me to
change from Open Pros.

~PB