Tips for all us aspiring wheel builders

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we should still read a good book
    like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some great tips.
    http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1

    Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.
    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we
    should
    > still read a good book like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some great tips.
    > http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
    >
    > Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.
    > --
    > Slacker

    Good stuff. True, you don't need all the truing stands and stuff. But having a nice truing stand is
    a luxury and makes it easy to get comfortable at a table rather than sitting on the floor by your
    upsidedown bike. As he said bringing the spokes to tension and truing wheels requires patience and
    patience comes easier for me if I am comfortable.

    See if you can find a 'Spokey' spoke wrench. I initially overlooked these as being "too much plastic
    must be crap.. Ah...ah...death to you!" but found they grip the spoke on three corners and won't
    round them off like other wrenchs can. I used one of those Park 3 way wrenches on my first wheels
    and boy my thumb wasn't happy.

    Speed tip: always leave the nipples square to the rim when tensioning. The spoke wrench will fall on
    each the same way making for less fumbling around.

    Also the instructions found in Zinn and the Art of Mountian Bike Maintenance are very easy to follow
    for lacing up the spokes.

    Mike - Always buy your wheelbuilder beer!

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we should still read a good book
    > like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some great tips.
    > http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
    >
    > Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.

    I just use Sheldon's tips:

    www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

    Much easier to read and it doesn't teach you myth and legend, e.g. tying and soldering spokes.

    Greg

  4. Slacker wrote:

    > Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.

    I am by _no_means_ an "expert"..... Sure, I've read a few books and websites, and built a few dozen
    wheels, but I am certainly NOT an expert.

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 23:20:47 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we should still read a good book
    >like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some great tips.
    >http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
    >
    >Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.
    Thanks for the link.

    :-]

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we should still read a good book
    >like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some great tips.
    >http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
    >
    >Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.

    One of my favorite aids to building wheels is to lace the wheel, then mark the outside of each spoke
    with a black felt-tip marker. Now you can tell how much spoke windup you are dealing with, and
    correct for it ever time. It's nice to ride a new pair of wheels without all those *pings* that tell
    you your wheel's not quite as true as it was.

    Above all else, don't forget to stress relieve the wheels. This will keep your spokes healthy and
    happy for many, many miles to come.

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > This site has some the best advice I've seen anywhere. Of course we
    > should
    > > still read a good book like The Bicycle Wheel, but this guy has some
    great
    > > tips. http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
    > >
    > > Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Good stuff. True, you don't need all the truing stands and stuff. But having a nice truing stand
    > is a luxury and makes it easy to get
    comfortable
    > at a table rather than sitting on the floor by your upsidedown bike. As
    he
    > said bringing the spokes to tension and truing wheels requires patience
    and
    > patience comes easier for me if I am comfortable.
    >
    > See if you can find a 'Spokey' spoke wrench. I initially overlooked these as being "too much
    > plastic must be crap.. Ah...ah...death to you!" but found they grip the spoke on three corners and
    > won't round them off like other wrenchs can. I used one of those Park 3 way wrenches on my first
    > wheels and boy my thumb wasn't happy.
    >
    > Speed tip: always leave the nipples square to the rim when tensioning. The spoke wrench will fall
    > on each the same way making for less fumbling
    around.

    > Also the instructions found in Zinn and the Art of Mountian Bike
    Maintenance
    > are very easy to follow for lacing up the spokes.
    >
    > Mike - Always buy your wheelbuilder beer!

    Ah, that was easy http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#spokewrenches and cheap too!
    Looks a lot more finger friendly then my Park....good call.
    --
    Slacker

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps our resident wheel expert, Clyde or ?, can verify the accuracy.
    >
    > I am by _no_means_ an "expert"..... Sure, I've read a few books and websites, and built a few
    > dozen wheels, but I am certainly NOT an expert.

    Well, you're close enough...at least most of the time.
    --
    Slacker

  9. Michael Dart wrote:

    > Good stuff. True, you don't need all the truing stands and stuff. But having a nice truing stand
    > is a luxury and makes it easy to get comfortable at a table rather than sitting on the floor by
    > your upsidedown bike. As he said bringing the spokes to tension and truing wheels requires
    > patience and patience comes easier for me if I am comfortable.
    >
    > See if you can find a 'Spokey' spoke wrench. I initially overlooked these as being "too much
    > plastic must be crap.. Ah...ah...death to you!" but found they grip the spoke on three corners and
    > won't round them off like other wrenchs can. I used one of those Park 3 way wrenches on my first
    > wheels and boy my thumb wasn't happy.

    Spokeys are good, but I'd recommend having one with the sides cut down. Having to take out and
    remount the spoke key every half turn is annoying to say the least.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bmx_faq.htm

  10. .

    > I just use Sheldon's tips:
    >
    > www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
    >
    > Much easier to read and it doesn't teach you myth and legend, e.g. tying and soldering spokes.
    >
    > Greg

    Yep - me too excellent clear instructions which have resulted in every wheel I've built so far (all
    4 of them) being at least as good as any I've ever bought and better than most.

    Russ

  11. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jonathan Harris wrote:
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    >> Good stuff. True, you don't need all the truing stands and stuff. But having a nice truing stand
    >> is a luxury and makes it easy to get comfortable at a table rather than sitting on the floor by
    >> your upsidedown bike. As he said bringing the spokes to tension and truing wheels requires
    >> patience and patience comes easier for me if I am comfortable.
    >>
    >> See if you can find a 'Spokey' spoke wrench. I initially overlooked these as being "too much
    >> plastic must be crap.. Ah...ah...death to you!" but found they grip the spoke on three corners
    >> and won't round them off like other wrenchs can. I used one of those Park 3 way wrenches on my
    >> first wheels and boy my thumb wasn't happy.
    >

    > Spokeys are good, but I'd recommend having one with the sides cut down. Having to take out and
    > remount the spoke key every half turn is annoying to say the least.

    I like my DT-Swiss. Holds to all sides of the nipple and has nice wings for easy turning. Looks like
    a wind-up toy key :).

    David Kunz

  12. David Kunz wrote:

    > I like my DT-Swiss.

    I'd like one too but at $50.00 each... ummm nope.

    > Holds to all sides of the nipple

    so does the VAR

    > and has nice wings

    So does a Maxi-Pad

    --
    John G. Just jealous

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I like my DT-Swiss. Holds to all sides of the nipple and has nice wings for easy turning. Looks
    > like a wind-up toy key :).
    >
    > David Kunz

    Yeah but $59 bucks! I'm the biggest tool junkie I know and have a hard time with that one.

    Mike - Mmmmm....bike tools

  14. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I like my DT-Swiss. Holds to all sides of the nipple and has nice wings for easy turning. Looks
    > > like a wind-up toy key :).
    > >
    > > David Kunz
    > >

    > Yeah but $59 bucks! I'm the biggest tool junkie I know and have a hard
    time
    > with that one.
    >
    > Mike - Mmmmm....bike tools

    I just assumed that was a typo....$59....they must be outta their mind!
    --
    Slacker

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I like my DT-Swiss. Holds to all sides of the nipple and has nice wings for easy turning. Looks
    > > like a wind-up toy key :).
    > >
    > > David Kunz
    > >

    > Yeah but $59 bucks! I'm the biggest tool junkie I know and have a hard
    time
    > with that one.
    >
    > Mike - Mmmmm....bike tools

    And Mike T's site recommends havin' two wrenches. When you drop one, you pop on the other so you
    won't lose your place!

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#spokewrenches

    DTW

  16. Slacker wrote:
    > I just assumed that was a typo....$59....they must be outta their mind!

    It is indeed a fine tool...If you are a pro, building wheels day in and day out, it is worth every
    dollar. It is like comparing a Craftsman to Snap On (Mac).

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Slacker wrote:
    > > I just assumed that was a typo....$59....they must be outta their mind!
    >
    > It is indeed a fine tool...If you are a pro, building wheels day in and day out, it is worth every
    > dollar. It is like comparing a Craftsman to Snap On (Mac).

    Tis true. I'm with you on the VAR tool though, nice compromise between the two. Though if you're a
    weight weenie the Spokey is very light to carry on rides.

    Mike - The DT would go very nice with the TS-3 Master Truing Stand. mmmmm.

  18. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I like my DT-Swiss. Holds to all sides of the nipple and has nice wings for easy turning. Looks
    >>like a wind-up toy key :).
    >>
    >>David Kunz
    >>

    > Yeah but $59 bucks! I'm the biggest tool junkie I know and have a hard time with that one.
    >
    > Mike - Mmmmm....bike tools

    My LBS bought an extra and sold it to me for $20.00. I didn't realize I was getting such a
    good deal :).

    David Kunz