Tips for attacking and breaks.

FloydLandis

Jun 13, 2006
Just wondering what you think about just before during and after you decide to attack and go on a break. I have never been in this position before and was thinking of trying it soon. Some pointers would be cool

just learn and do it by instinct, unless your doing the the tour de france or something riders rarely go into a race planning to form a breakaway, im assuming your just doing smaller races, in this scenario everyone wants to attack and win, use your head and think and use your instinct too. the other day i was racing against some adults, because i was on my youth gear restriction i was sprinting out of the corners much quicker than them because they were going into it on too big a gear, so i realised that i could get away if i waited until one of the corners near the end, i did that but unfortunately didnt have the legs to hold of the group on that day, i was feeling a bit ill. youve got to think in the race and learn to respond to whats going on around you.

i do have one tip though, if you really want to attack then you have to stay near the front all the time so you can respond to whats going on, this isnt easy because thats where everyone wants to be, youve got to be prepared to fight for a wheel if someone tries to come around you and be quite aggressive. then try and identify the stronger riders and when one attacks follow them and hope for the best.