tips for beginner

Greyhorse

Dec 23, 2003
Hello all! I am by every definition a beginner! I have been riding for about a month now on my daughters bike. My christmas present from my family is a Trek 4300. I am 5'7", weigh 170. I will be able to bike 3-4 days a week. I am in fair (not good) shape. Any tips for me? Thanks in advance!
Greyhorse

Originally posted by Greyhorse
Hello all! I am by every definition a beginner! I have been riding for about a month now on my daughters bike. My christmas present from my family is a Trek 4300. I am 5'7", weigh 170. I will be able to bike 3-4 days a week. I am in fair (not good) shape. Any tips for me? Thanks in advance!
Greyhorse

there's a 'best cycling tips ever' thread on this forum. but i suggest the following based on my own experience:

check out the book called best cycling tips for women by bicycling magazine. the content overlaps some of the content in another book also from bicycling magazine--best articles or something like that. i have both books and have found them useful.

but starting out, the best thing to figure out is how to spin and the value of a high cadence in low gear--especially for an endurance (long) ride.

good luck and keep riding! where are you by the way?

1. Ride at your own pace.
2. Get some padded shorts.
3. Invest in a good saddle.
4. Have Fun!!

Originally posted by Greyhorse
Greyhorse

Like I always say, best tip for taking up cycling is to make it a part of your life - don't just bike for excercise, because you have a 99% chance of giving it up within a couple of months.

Promise yourself you won't take your car to go anywhere that's less than, say, 5 miles from your house (maybe start out with 2 or 3 and work your way up). Buy saddle bags and a basket. Get to be known as "that lady who's always on her bike". Run errands on your bike. Go grocery shopping with it. Get your kids psyched up to join you. Become a convert.

Be ashamed to take your car all by yourself (I try to only use mine when I have to haul children or large objects I can't handle on the bike)!

Visit the forum frequently, it will keep you in the spirit!

Go, girl, go!

SAra