Tips for commuting between Lane Cove and Epping?

Enno Middelberg

Guest
Hi all,

I'm planning to commute by bike between Lane Cove and Epping
(in Sydney), once all my stuff is cleared through customs
and I finally have my bike. I'm planning to ride through
Lane Cove National Park to avoid Epping road and the steep
slopes in Marsfield.

Any useful hints for cycling in Sydney? Any local
particularities I should know about? I know I have to wear a
helmet and that motorists can be sort of ... difficult.

Cheers,

Enno

Enno Middelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm planning to commute by bike between Lane Cove and
> Epping (in Sydney), once all my stuff is cleared through
> customs and I finally have my bike. I'm planning to ride
> through Lane Cove National Park to avoid Epping road and
> the steep slopes in Marsfield.
>
> Any useful hints for cycling in Sydney? Any local
> particularities I should know about? I know I have to wear
> a helmet and that motorists can be sort of ... difficult.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Enno

If I was you I'd go down Epping Rd then get on the M2, then
off again at Epping. The main danger points are going up the
hill past the Centennial Ave lights, and where cars
enter/exit the Shell servo just before Mowbray Rd.

Enno Middelberg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm planning to ride through Lane Cove National Park to
> avoid Epping road and the steep slopes in Marsfield.

Doesn't sound too insane. Get to Fullers Rd at Chatswood
(highway or back streets), go down this and through the NP.
There's a cycleway under De Burgh's bridge which lets you
avoid the lunatics on Ryde Rd while you get to the M2. Note
that you've still got a hill getting out of the NP, but
it's not that bad. That's about the middle third of my
commute home.

From the M2 it should be plain sailing. Coming home is the
reverse, but if you go straight ahead from Lady Game drive
at the corner with Fullers Rd, you can trade a steeper,
shorter hill for avoiding traffic. I've also heard that it's
not too bad if you stay on the M2 the whole way, then bail
off at Mowbray Rd. I doubt it's as pleasant going to Epping,
since Mowbray Rd is at the bottom of a hill.

> Any useful hints for cycling in Sydney? Any local
> particularities I should know about? I know I have to wear
> a helmet and that motorists can be sort of ... difficult.

Sit in the middle of the lane. You get the odd bit of abuse
hurled at you, but that beats being run down by someone who
"didn't see you, sorry mate".

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected] "Two of my imaginary
friends reproduced once ... with negative results." -- Ben