Tips for getting stubborn tyres on

Sam Williams

Guest
Hi all,

Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
must be a trick to it.

Sam.

there must be a trick to it.

Apply soapy water to the bead. I changed car tires in a gas station as a
youth and that is the only way to get them on....

"Sam Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
> get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
> rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
> must be a trick to it.

Beer, the lubricant of life.

"Sam Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
> get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
> rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
> must be a trick to it.

A sharp knife works well.

Sam Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
> get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
> rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
> must be a trick to it.
>
> Sam.

I don't think there's a tire/rim combo that on the planet that you
couldn't get on (or off) with these
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL-5

--
Slack

"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Sam Williams:
>>Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off?

> For removal, after working your way all around tire squeezing the beads
> together, put it on the floor and, starting at the top, gently work the
> whole
> tire downwards using your hands on each side. Once this is done, you
> have a
> little more room at the bottom to get the bead off.

What he said, expanded - The bead you are working over the rim has to be
centered inside the rim, except where you are working it on or off. If you
are breaking levers, or using a lever to install the tire, something is
misaligned. Go back and recenter the bead, and make sure it isn't resting on
top of a fold of inner tube somewhere. Also, when working a balky tire on,
use your whole hand and wrist to roll the bead over, not just your thumbs.
Some rim/tire combos are certainly a pain, but should eventually yield to
this approach.

Dave D.

Per Sam Williams:

Sam Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
> get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
> rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
> must be a trick to it.
>
> Sam.

Getting them off should be easier if you grab the sucker with both hands
and roll it over the edge of the rim, and bracing the bottom of the
wheel against the ground, pull it hard down past the rim as close to the
rim and spokes as you can manage. Don't try to roll it over and then
pull it away at ninety degrees from the rim, or try to pop one bead off
before the other. Pulling the whole tyre down at a surprisingly sharp
angle using a bit of brute force can seem like magic. Make sure that
where you are grabbing, you push the beads together before you start so
that are unseated as best as possible. I've always found that getting
them on is much easier than getting a tight tyre off.
--
Westie

little earthquakes wrote:
> "Sam Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
> > get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
> > rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
> > must be a trick to it.
> >

> A sharp knife works well.

I find the knife works best when applied with a hammer while standing
in a full bathtub balancing a toaster atop my head.

/s

[email protected] wrote:
> little earthquakes wrote:
>
>>"Sam Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:p[email protected]...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Anyone got any tips for getting stubborn tyres on or off? I'm trying to
>>>get a high roller 1.9" off and put on a 2.35 in it's place (Mavic X517
>>>rims). The plastic park tyre levers I have are failing miserably... there
>>>must be a trick to it.
>>>

>>A sharp knife works well.

> I find the knife works best when applied with a hammer while standing
> in a full bathtub balancing a toaster atop my head.

Ah jeeze, ya forgot to tell him to plug in the toaster!

Shawn