Tips for Mid-January Road Race Championship

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by cruzesr, Nov 28, 2010.

1. cruzesr

cruzesr New Member

My son is 16 turning 17 in March and he will be competing the road state championship in mid-January (75 mile road race with climbs). I'm a little concern because he is not as fast as I would hope he would be a this time of the year. Basically he started pre-season in September with jogging, strechting, October more jogging with some weigh liffting, November continued with weigh lifting (repetitions) and stated some bike riddin, twice a week 30 - 40 miles per ride, now in late November he is still doing some weight repetitions (twice a week) and is starting to put in more miles, 40 miles mid week and 75 mile ride on Sunday but seems to be a bit slower than his co-riders (same age group) and even cramping up at about mile 40 of the ride. As I mentioned he will have his trials on mid January where he needs to make top 4 to qualify for nationals (in May) or will be left out. In this race, he will be competing against some of his co-riders, which he was able to compete with in the past, but if he continues as he is, he would probably not make it. Any training tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

If he has been racing in the past, he probably knows the drill. He knows his strengths/weaknesses, knows how to read a race, and knows how to read his body. Of course, he needs to go into the race trusting his training, but during the race, he needs to know when to conserve and when to show his cards. His previous racing experience should help in a lot in that respect.

In terms of training, it depends on what his weaknesses are (race your strengths, train you weaknesses). If his problem is responding to repeated attacks, he should do some VO2 max intervals without full recovery between efforts. If his problem is his LT, or "motor", he should log those miles and do 2X20s midweek when time is short. If he gets dropped on climbs, he should do hill reps.

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Get him out of the weight room and hook him up with either a good coach or a club with a good youth program - one where the 1st and 2nd Cats take some interest and put on some clinics.

That said, mid january is a fair way off - 7 weeks is a long time to get quality work in... provided that work is done but the time has about passed for base training and it's time for the high end work - short duration, big power, big speed. It sounds like this is what your son needs if he's cramping during hard rides. It's more likely he's cramping due to the effort rather than lacking key electrolytes.

4. leanman

leanman New Member

ask fergie. that man knows his stuff. pm him