Tips for training for a 50-mile bike ride

bike_man0079

May 21, 2006
Hello to everyone out there. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on training(ie-strength, cardio, plyometrics) for a 50-mile bike ride in 8 hours or less. I want to start training for this pretty soon. By the way, I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. I would really like to do plyometrics if they help with cycling. Also, does anybody know what squat thrusts are and do they aid in cycling? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and God bless:):cool:

bike_man0079 said:
Hello to everyone out there. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on training(ie-strength, cardio, plyometrics) for a 50-mile bike ride in 8 hours or less. I want to start training for this pretty soon. By the way, I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. I would really like to do plyometrics if they help with cycling. Also, does anybody know what squat thrusts are and do they aid in cycling? Any help is appreciated.

There's really no need for strength or plyometric training, just get out and ride in smaller increments to prepare yourself.

maybe im confused, but isnt a 50 mile ride in under 8 hours not too bad? especially for someone that isnt necessarily "in shape" but certainly not "out of shape".

i posted on here about my first ride that i did 40 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes and most people said i was pretty slow.

Also , if this helps anyone I'm 16 and just getting in to the sport of cycling.

Thanks and God Bless!:cool:

You're at a good weight for your height, and 40 miles at 17.14 mph avg is ok. If you can do 40 then you can easily do 50 miles. Just comes more easy with the more miles you do.

After 56 miles I'm burned out from biking.

bike_man0079 said:

50-miles in 8 hours is more do-able than you think, particularly at the modest target speed you have indicated (just over 6 MPH) IF there isn't much terrain change -- that is, if you are a Flatlander.

More than anything, what you need for that ride is a camelback-type hydration pack or bladder (100oz ... you don't have to fill it completely) + several PayDay bars (or, equivalent) ... at least one per hour.

BONK and/or dehydration will probably be your biggest obstacles. If you have to stop in the middle of your ride, find a shady place to rest.

OF COURSE, make sure your bike is properly adjusted ... and, that the tires are properly inflated. A "road" bike is better than a mountain bike.

Ride with a friend if possible ...

Remember to wear your helmet ... it keeps the sun from beating directly on your head.

i posted on here about my first ride that i did 40 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes and most people said i was pretty slow.
40 miles in just over 2 hours isn't slow.

Enjoy the 50 miles mate, if you complete it without too much trouble it may set off a little bug in you that makes you want to ride longer and harder. And that is only good news for you, your health and the people on this forum. Once you get the bug you will join in the the forum more and that can only be good news for all concerned.

Keep it up and good luck.
Steve

Can anyone recommend any good websites that could me out with my 50 mile bike ride? :confused:Right now, I'm using Chris Carmichael's book FITNESS Cycling.:D

Any Help is APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!:D:cool:;)

Thanks and GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Shouldn't I increase my mileage by 10% each week?:confused: I've heard that's the one of the best things to do to increase your mileage slowly but surely.:)

PLEASE TO EVERYONE WHO VIEWS THIS THREAD, PLEASE POST A REPLY THAT CAN HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:):):)

Thanks and GOD Bless!;)

It depends also on how much time you have and your fitness sounds to me like you are planing to take too long try a few 20 mile runs at speed and build up. 10% is a low figure for the mileage try a few hill climbs that builds up your stamia without too much time pressure good luck

Try to diversify your ride times. Do a 10 miler at your maximum and the next ride 20 or so at a slower pace but add some sprints.
If you are ridiing with a group or partner practice drafting and taking turns at pulling. Climbing hills forces you to exert yourself so climbing is good training.
Alternate your training and gradually build your speed and distance.
These mileage numbers are random and each person varies so find your comfort zone and learn to exceed it a little at a time.

God doesn't have anything to do with this. If he did, there would be no cars on the roads.

Keep training, have fun. Build slowly up to your target DURATION of your event and work on that.

For what it's worth, I had a buddy here at work who's mom just bought a new road bike. She's in her late 50's, and kinda sedentary. She did a 50 miler basically right out of the box for a charity ride. Granted she didn't burn up the road, but with proper pacing ("slow" but faster than what you are planning), nutrition and hydration, she made it.

L

bike_man, what's the farthest you've gone on the bike so far? How often do you ride and what is your typical time/distance?

The devil is in the details.

--Steve

Rather than start another thread i might as well post in this one, after sundays pain free first ride of the season (20 miles-1hr20mins, hadnt riddne in about 9 months due to injuries) i am planning on a 50 mile charity ride in september.

Thankfully i know the 50 mile route pretty well, its flat but its along a coastal road so i could have problems with the wind. Any advice on what nutrition and hydration strategy i should use? Given that its in september the temp will be comfortable (and probably raining).

alvynmcq said:
Rather than start another thread i might as well post in this one, after sundays pain free first ride of the season (20 miles-1hr20mins, hadnt riddne in about 9 months due to injuries) i am planning on a 50 mile charity ride in september.

Thankfully i know the 50 mile route pretty well, its flat but its along a coastal road so i could have problems with the wind. Any advice on what nutrition and hydration strategy i should use? Given that its in september the temp will be comfortable (and probably raining).
You probably don't need too much of a strategy for nutrition and hydration. You're looking at about 3 hours of ride time, and should be ok with two water bottles (more if it's hot) and a couple Cliff bars. If you can get in a few 40+ mile training rides before the big one it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

alvynmcq said:

[IMO]

The wind has nothing to do with what to eat or drink.
+ Bring 1 powerbar with you - Eat 1/3rd of it 15 miles into the ride, repeat every 15 miles.
+ Have two waterbottles - one filled with only water, and one half gatoraid/half water
+ For breakfast, eat 3 whole eggs, 1 bagel, 16oz water, 10oz orange juice, make sure this is at least 1 hr before the ride.
+ Take 2 caffeine pills right before the race. (400mg total)

[/IMO]

Thanks.

The post on the first page about having a camel pack and 5 or so energy bars had worried me, dont think i could get through all that in a 3 or so hours.

Now all I have to do is drop some of this weight :) 158lbs at 5ft5inch i dont really want to be dragging that the 50 miles.

you should increase your LONGEST ride of the week by 10% each week. use the other days to add miles to your legs, working on speed, etc.

get used to eating and drinking as you go

bike_man0079 said:
Shouldn't I increase my mileage by 10% each week?:confused: I've heard that's the one of the best things to do to increase your mileage slowly but surely.:)

PLEASE TO EVERYONE WHO VIEWS THIS THREAD, PLEASE POST A REPLY THAT CAN HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:):):)

Thanks and GOD Bless!;)