Tips for tweaking/repairing for those who have small space

Jose Capco

Guest
Dear NG,

Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
of all those bicycle packed in the room.

I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.

I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
usually do?

Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
place :)

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

On Feb 9, 7:56 am, "Jose Capco" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?
>
> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

Up until the better half & I got a house of our own with a basement of
my own, my bedroom was my workshop for all my terrestrial abodes. I
found sliding the bed and a few other little things aside gave me a
nice, comfortable workspace. I suggest dedicating a white beach towel
or two to the cause. You'll be able to reuse it/them for years, and
when you drop a small part (usually washer or screw) the towel will
keep it from rolling away as well as make finding it a bit easier.
Oh, it keeps grease and dirt off the floor too.

Jose,

You might try one of these: http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?
g=59

Its certainly not as good as a full repair stand but its very small
and relatively inexpensive. You can get one from most bike shops I
wager. Park tool also makes a number of repair stands starting out at
about $110 or so. Here's their entry-level stand: http://
parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PCS%2D9

Hope this helps!

alan.

On Feb 9, 7:24 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 7:56 am, "Jose Capco" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > Dear NG,

> > Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> > people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> > storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> > of all those bicycle packed in the room.

> > I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> > can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> > just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> > winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> > go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> > adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> > a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> > to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.

> > I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> > up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> > usually do?

> > Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> > cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> > to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> > then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> > I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> > place :)

> > Sincerely,
> > Jose Capco

> Up until the better half & I got a house of our own with a basement of
> my own, my bedroom was my workshop for all my terrestrial abodes. I
> found sliding the bed and a few other little things aside gave me a
> nice, comfortable workspace. I suggest dedicating a white beach towel
> or two to the cause. You'll be able to reuse it/them for years, and
> when you drop a small part (usually washer or screw) the towel will
> keep it from rolling away as well as make finding it a bit easier.
> Oh, it keeps grease and dirt off the floor too.- Hide quoted text -

Jose,

You might try one of these:
http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=59

Its certainly not as good as a full repair stand but its very small
and relatively inexpensive. You can get one from most bike shops I
wager. Park tool also makes a number of repair stands starting out
at
about $110 or so. Here's their entry-level stand:
http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PCS-9

Hope this helps!

alan.

On Feb 9, 9:53 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 9, 7:24 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 9, 7:56 am, "Jose Capco" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Dear NG,

> > > Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> > > people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> > > storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> > > of all those bicycle packed in the room.

> > > I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> > > can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> > > just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> > > winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> > > go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> > > adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> > > a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> > > to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.

> > > I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> > > up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> > > usually do?

> > > Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> > > cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> > > to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> > > then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> > > I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> > > place :)

> > > Sincerely,
> > > Jose Capco

> > Up until the better half & I got a house of our own with a basement of
> > my own, my bedroom was my workshop for all my terrestrial abodes. I
> > found sliding the bed and a few other little things aside gave me a
> > nice, comfortable workspace. I suggest dedicating a white beach towel
> > or two to the cause. You'll be able to reuse it/them for years, and
> > when you drop a small part (usually washer or screw) the towel will
> > keep it from rolling away as well as make finding it a bit easier.
> > Oh, it keeps grease and dirt off the floor too.- Hide quoted text -

> Jose,
>
> You might try one of these:http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=59
>
> Its certainly not as good as a full repair stand but its very small
> and relatively inexpensive. You can get one from most bike shops I
> wager. Park tool also makes a number of repair stands starting out
> at
> about $110 or so. Here's their entry-level stand:http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PCS-9
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> alan.- Hide quoted text -

I was looking at stands as well. Here's a $110 including shipping:

http://www.tiny.cc/Stand

Its not a well known brand like Parks, but at least it gives a good
closeup shot of working head. It has similar construction design as
Parks, but Parks picture looks like its 100 yards away from the tiny
pictures. I could never buy anything like a work stand without seeing
it up close first.

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 04:56:01 -0800, Jose Capco wrote:

> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?
>
> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

If you have suitable furniture or a sturdy post in your room, you might
consider something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2jxjq6

or this:

http://tinyurl.com/3253bg

I never actually got around to it, but when I had a tiny apartment and a
loft bed, I was going to drill a couple of holes in one of the bed's
supports and fasten a wall-mount clamp with bolts and wingnuts so that I
could take it down quickly.

On Feb 9, 1:56 pm, "Jose Capco" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?
>
> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

I've got a clamp made by Veloman that bolts to the wall. The clamp is
pretty nice as home-level stuff goes, and was pretty cheap. Back when
I lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor, I always stored all my bikes
in my room. Up and down the stairs each time. Even my trike! I also
have used a chin-up bar that goes in a doorway to hang the bike up on
by hooking the seat over the bar to work on it.

Good luck!

Joseph

Jose Capco wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?

kitchen table. bikes. motorcycles. car engines. electronics. what
else are kitchen tables for?

On Feb 9, 4:48 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jose Capco wrote:
> > Dear NG,

> > Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> > people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> > storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> > of all those bicycle packed in the room.

> > I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> > can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> > just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> > winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> > go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> > adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> > a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> > to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.

> > I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> > up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> > usually do?

> kitchen table. bikes. motorcycles. car engines. electronics. what
> else are kitchen tables for?

I did a valve job on my Alfa Romeo on my kitchen table once. That part
was much easier than lugging it on the bus to the machine shop! I drew
the line at replacing the 2nd gear syncro there though...

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 9, 4:48 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jose Capco wrote:
>>> Dear NG,
>>> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
>>> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
>>> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
>>> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>>> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
>>> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
>>> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
>>> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
>>> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
>>> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
>>> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
>>> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>>> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
>>> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
>>> usually do?

>> kitchen table. bikes. motorcycles. car engines. electronics. what
>> else are kitchen tables for?
>>

> I did a valve job on my Alfa Romeo on my kitchen table once. That part
> was much easier than lugging it on the bus to the machine shop! I drew
> the line at replacing the 2nd gear syncro there though...
>
> Joseph

this sound like one-upmanship, but i have actually done a 2nd gear
synchro on the kitchen table! the most involved though was a cylinder
head. had had the local machine shop skim it and they'd messed it up -
had to hone it flat with a big block of plate glass, carbide paper and
lots of patience. kitchen was warm, dry, well lit and the table sturdy.
why not?

I really don't know how to audit Chinese products except assume they
are bad.
Saw one discussion about $110 no name stand I mentioned in link above
breaking after 4 uses.
The plastic did look kind of raw and unprocessed.

Anyway, Parks is the only sure thing. I like the PRS-03 which is a
radial lock single stand.
They won't be any cheaper than $200, since didn't find any, but the
PRS lock attachements are about $170 + shipping.
The radia lock is cool, and is really needed for a stable controlled
fixture.
Working arm radial lock fixture is the main thing, and could put on
garage wood wall beam, work table, or even tail gate in pick up truck.
A quick release clamp feature would make them moblile to be used
almost anwhere, and may be cheaper than the PRS stand.

At least Chinese manufacturers are consistant(ly bad).

On Feb 9, 6:50 pm, "ddog" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I really don't know how to audit Chinese products except assume they
> are bad.
> Saw one discussion about $110 no name stand I mentioned in link above
> breaking after 4 uses.
> The plastic did look kind of raw and unprocessed.
>
> Anyway, Parks is the only sure thing. I like the PRS-03 which is a
> radial lock single stand.
> They won't be any cheaper than $200, since didn't find any, but the
> PRS lock attachements are about $170 + shipping.
> The radia lock is cool, and is really needed for a stable controlled
> fixture.
> Working arm radial lock fixture is the main thing, and could put on
> garage wood wall beam, work table, or even tail gate in pick up truck.
> A quick release clamp feature would make them moblile to be used
> almost anwhere, and may be cheaper than the PRS stand.
>
> At least Chinese manufacturers are consistant(ly bad).

My Veloman was made in Italy and cost about $40. $200+ IMO for a home
stand is way overkill unless you've got money to burn or get some
enjoyment out of having nice tools, which many people do.

In general I feel you get what you pay for. As for stuff from China or
Taiwan being lousy, I disagree. Some of it is, but that is because the
company that choses to have stuff made there wants a cheap price. If
you want, high quality stuff can be made in China and Taiwan too, but
they aren't asked to make high quality stuff as much. They'll make
whatever you want as nice as you want, all you have to do is ask for
it.

Joseph

Jose Capco wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?
>
> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

Instead of a bike stand, consider an inexpensive, foldable, "mag"
trainer. It doubles as a work stand, even allowing you to ride the bike
on it! I just put a drop cloth (old sheet) under it when I'm working. I
store all my bike tools in a Rubbermaid combo tool box/stool thing
(plastic tool box with legs), that way I have something to sit on while
working on the bike. Even though I have a garage, I'll often prefer to
work this way inside the house -- warmer this time of year & I can put
on TV or music. I've built up a few bikes from components this way.
Definitely what I'd do in a flat.

On Feb 9, 12:38 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jose Capco wrote:
> > Dear NG,

> > Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> > people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> > storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> > of all those bicycle packed in the room.

> > I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> > can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> > just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> > winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> > go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> > adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> > a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> > to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.

> > I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> > up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> > usually do?

> > Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> > cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> > to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> > then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> > I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> > place :)

> > Sincerely,
> > Jose Capco

> Instead of a bike stand, consider an inexpensive, foldable, "mag"
> trainer.

There is also the Topeak "Tune Up DX", which is about $40 on the
(gasp!) internet. Attachs to the bike like a mag trainer, and leaves
the rear wheel off the ground and free turning. Probably more stable
than the Delta Matisse mentioned by another poster earlier in the
thread.

wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, I live in a shared flat and the building has a little area where
> people are supposed to store their bicycle there. Sometimes the
> storage place is so full of bikes that I can barely pull my bike out
> of all those bicycle packed in the room.
>
> I love repairing and adjusting my bike like most people here do. But I
> can hardly do anything in my place. In summer its easier for me, I can
> just sit in any corner of the street and do the small repairs. In
> winters, I can only think of the garage of the place where I work.. I
> go there early with my bike just to make necessary repairs or
> adjustment. But for big job, whether its winter or summer I still have
> a problem.. because I cant/wont get the job finished in a day, Id like
> to be able to have my stuffs just lying around.. etc.
>
> I was thinking of just doing all these in my room (which is 4 stories
> up :) ).. But has anyone faced this problem before? what do you people
> usually do?
>
> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jose Capco

If all the bikes are in that room, I'd suggest hanging them up. Get
some 2x4s, find the joists in your ceiling, and screw the 2x4 through
to the joist. Then, screw in some of those vinyl coated j-hooks you
can get at hardware stores.

What I do is line the 2x4 up against the walls and screw through to a
stud. Then, screw in some of those bike hangars. They're basically a v-
shaped metal thingy (google "Prostor PSB") that makes an acceptable
bike stand for most purposes. I screwed one in around 4' high and
another at around 8' (I've got tall ceilings). I have two 2x4s, each
holding two bike hangars. Each hangar holds 2-3 bikes. I know, I've
got problems....

For the tandems, I screwed jhooks directly into a wall where the front
tandem wheel hits it when raised vertically. To keep the front wheel
from moving I used a toe strap.

/s

Jose Capco wrote:

> Oh and yes.. Id like to have either one of those stands or at least a
> cheap substitute for it when repairing bike. Anyone knows how Im able
> to make those? I know I can hang a rope from the ceiling and use it
> then on my bike, but I dont have anywhere to hang ropes in my room and
> I dont think its a good idea hanging ropes in the garage of my working
> place :)

It's possible, and not terribly difficult, to do every single job on a bike
without a stand, just with the bike on the ground -- right way up, upside
down or on its side, depending on the job.

~PB

You don't need a place to 'hang' a bicycle for working on it.

Get a y-yoke. I found mine at a yard sale where I paid three dollars
for it.

I've seen it advertised for sale at internet bike stores but they
offer it only as a bicycle 'display stand' for about ten bucks.

If you did an internet search state 'bicycle display stand.'

It is, and was originally, more than merely a display stand.

It is a simple device: a rod with two tines as feet (for the floor),
at the bottom end, and a single, offset curve to wrap around the down
tube just above the BB, at the top end.

Once on, and depending on which way you then tilt the bike, forwards
or backwards, you can lift the rear or front wheels, respectively, off
the ground and keep it there.

I find it indispensible for attaching or detaching the wheels,
cleaning the casette, chain and cogs, adjusting the derailers and much
more; and all the space you need for it is about the one by two feet
of space it uses when under your bike (or anywhere else).

On Feb 12, 6:51 am, "don Gabacho" <[email protected]> wrote:
> You don't need a place to 'hang' a bicycle for working on it.
>
> Get a y-yoke. I found mine at a yard sale where I paid three dollars
> for it.
>
> I've seen it advertised for sale at internet bike stores but they
> offer it only as a bicycle 'display stand' for about ten bucks.
>
> If you did an internet search state 'bicycle display stand.'
>
> It is, and was originally, more than merely a display stand.
>
> It is a simple device: a rod with two tines as feet (for the floor),
> at the bottom end, and a single, offset curve to wrap around the down
> tube just above the BB, at the top end.
>
> Once on, and depending on which way you then tilt the bike, forwards
> or backwards, you can lift the rear or front wheels, respectively, off
> the ground and keep it there.
>
> I find it indispensible for attaching or detaching the wheels,
> cleaning the casette, chain and cogs, adjusting the derailers and much
> more; and all the space you need for it is about the one by two feet
> of space it uses when under your bike (or anywhere else).

I think this is a great idea. I'll try first doing things without the
stand first and I will use some old clothes and rags to protect the
carpet in the room while repairing my bike.

The way you described the y-yoke makes me think that its not really
hard to make one on your own. I just need to nail a few wooden rods
(from old broom or whatever I find in the trash around the building).
But I guess I don't have much time and enthusiasm making one right now
in the winter, I'll wait a bit until its warmer.