Tips on Cleaning bike

Maurice Wibblington

Guest
Chums

I had my new (first) racing bike in for it's one-month post-sale
service in October, and out on it yesterday I realised somewhat
sheepishly that I have been spending all my time out on it, rather
than keeping it in good nick, as it wasn't running silently any more.

So I'm looking for tips to looking after it - ongoing regular oiling
or whatever, and a more thorough clean. Winter time would ideally see
me out on Sat/Sun for an hour or two either or both days, and a couple
of shorter peddlies during the week if work allows.

So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month? A quick
trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
'new hobby')

Maurice Wibblington wrote:

> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month?

Rumbles will come from the transmission, and that's what to concentrate
on. In winter especially, as there's more semi-liquid crunge about and
it often has salt mixed in.

Regularly (say, after any long ride or a week's worth of short ones)
wipe the chain clean and re-lube it. Once you've oiled it wipe away any
excess as it just helps stuff stick to it. Clean the gear sprockets
with a rag, including between them

> A quick
> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
> 'new hobby')

For a really comprehensive professional chain clean you need... a
biggish jar or similar container and a load of white spirit. You might
need a chain tool if your chain doesn't have a powerlink or similar.
Take off the chain, into the jar, add the white spirit and leave
overnight. Re-lube once it's back on, and take the opportunity of it
being off to give the sprockets a good clean.
Or you can throw money at it and get a new chain at the end of the
winter rather than doing the full-on soak.

The rotating brush thingies are pretty good and don't require the chain
to come off, but an oily rag is fine for most of the work to be done.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Maurice Wibblington wrote:
>
>> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month?

> Rumbles will come from the transmission, and that's what to concentrate
> on. In winter especially, as there's more semi-liquid crunge about and
> it often has salt mixed in.
>
> Regularly (say, after any long ride or a week's worth of short ones)
> wipe the chain clean and re-lube it. Once you've oiled it wipe away any
> excess as it just helps stuff stick to it. Clean the gear sprockets
> with a rag, including between them
>
>> A quick
>> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
>> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
>> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
>> 'new hobby')

> For a really comprehensive professional chain clean you need... a
> biggish jar or similar container and a load of white spirit. You might
> need a chain tool if your chain doesn't have a powerlink or similar.
> Take off the chain, into the jar, add the white spirit and leave
> overnight. Re-lube once it's back on, and take the opportunity of it
> being off to give the sprockets a good clean.
> Or you can throw money at it and get a new chain at the end of the
> winter rather than doing the full-on soak.
>
> The rotating brush thingies are pretty good and don't require the chain
> to come off, but an oily rag is fine for most of the work to be done.
>
> Pete.

After a dry ride I don't do much at all... just a wipe down of any wet
bits and store away.

After a wet ride, I wet the whole bike and wash off the grit etc. with a
brush. Dry off. WD40 the mechs and sometimes calipers/cables, and wipe
off the chain. Lub the chain if necessary.

Once a week - good clean with soap and brushes and sponges. Degrease the
chain with one of those thingies - I'm using a Park one at the moment.
And re-lube.

I usually replace a chain in about 8 months, and soak in spirit every 6
weeks or so, but since September I have been using a Wipperman Connex
stainless steel chain. I have not soaked it yet, and I'm hoping it may
last 10,000 miles or 12 months with just a good weekly clean.

<quote>(the wife is just going to love it if I head of to LBS and
spend even more money on my 'new hobby')</quote>

They get used to it. If not, find a good hiding place for all your
receipts and have your bank/credit card statement sent to a different
address. :)

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Maurice Wibblington wrote:
>
>> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month?

> Rumbles will come from the transmission, and that's what to concentrate
> on. In winter especially, as there's more semi-liquid crunge about and
> it often has salt mixed in.
>
> Regularly (say, after any long ride or a week's worth of short ones)
> wipe the chain clean and re-lube it. Once you've oiled it wipe away any
> excess as it just helps stuff stick to it. Clean the gear sprockets
> with a rag, including between them
>
>> A quick
>> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
>> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
>> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
>> 'new hobby')

> For a really comprehensive professional chain clean you need... a
> biggish jar or similar container and a load of white spirit. You might
> need a chain tool if your chain doesn't have a powerlink or similar.
> Take off the chain, into the jar, add the white spirit and leave
> overnight. Re-lube once it's back on, and take the opportunity of it
> being off to give the sprockets a good clean.
> Or you can throw money at it and get a new chain at the end of the
> winter rather than doing the full-on soak.
>
> The rotating brush thingies are pretty good and don't require the chain
> to come off, but an oily rag is fine for most of the work to be done.
>
> Pete.

After a dry ride I don't do much at all... just a wipe down of any wet
bits and store away.

After a wet ride, I wet the whole bike and wash off the grit etc. with a
brush. Dry off. WD40 the mechs and sometimes calipers/cables, and wipe
off the chain. Lub the chain if necessary.

Once a week - good clean with soap and brushes and sponges. Degrease the
chain with one of those thingies - I'm using a Park one at the moment.
And re-lube.

I usually replace a chain in about 8 months, and soak in spirit every 6
weeks or so, but since September I have been using a Wipperman Connex
stainless steel chain. I have not soaked it yet, and I'm hoping it may
last 10,000 miles or 12 months with just a good weekly clean.

<quote>(the wife is just going to love it if I head of to LBS and
spend even more money on my 'new hobby')</quote>

They get used to it. If not, find a good hiding place for all your
receipts and have your bank/credit card statement sent to a different
address. :)

"Maurice Wibblington" <****@****.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chums
>
> I had my new (first) racing bike in for it's one-month post-sale
> service in October, and out on it yesterday I realised somewhat
> sheepishly that I have been spending all my time out on it, rather
> than keeping it in good nick, as it wasn't running silently any more.
>
> So I'm looking for tips to looking after it - ongoing regular oiling
> or whatever, and a more thorough clean. Winter time would ideally see
> me out on Sat/Sun for an hour or two either or both days, and a couple
> of shorter peddlies during the week if work allows.
>
> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month? A quick
> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
> 'new hobby')

Clean the chain and associated bits and bobs (mechs and cassette,
chainrings) and don't worry too much about the rest. I clean mine when
they're dirty - practically every ride on the MTB, rarely on my commuting
road bike (about 4 hours a week riding at a guess). Oiling cables might help
a bit but I've never noticed that much difference with teflon / galvanised
cables.

Maurice Wibblington wrote:
> Chums
>
> I had my new (first) racing bike in for it's one-month post-sale
> service in October, and out on it yesterday I realised somewhat
> sheepishly that I have been spending all my time out on it, rather
> than keeping it in good nick

Sounds like you've got your priorities right.
Find the squeaky bit and squirt some lube on it, this time of year it
isn't worth trying to keep it shiny.

POHB wrote:

> Sounds like you've got your priorities right.
> Find the squeaky bit and squirt some lube on it, this time of year it
> isn't worth trying to keep it shiny.

One thing to note is it'll collect a lot less clag if you've got
mudguards, especially if there's a flap on the front. Not all racers
have clearance for them, but if you do they're worth considering at
least over winter. Not only will they keep a lot of clag off the
transmission, but the rider as well.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Rola" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Clinch wrote:
>> Maurice Wibblington wrote:

<snip useful stuff>

> <quote>(the wife is just going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend
> even more money on my 'new hobby')</quote>
>
> They get used to it. If not, find a good hiding place for all your
> receipts and have your bank/credit card statement sent to a different
> address. :)

....Or get a new wife...
:)

pppeterrr wrote:
> "Rola" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Peter Clinch wrote:
>>> Maurice Wibblington wrote:
>>>

> <snip useful stuff>
>
>> <quote>(the wife is just going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend
>> even more money on my 'new hobby')</quote>
>>
>> They get used to it. If not, find a good hiding place for all your
>> receipts and have your bank/credit card statement sent to a different
>> address. :)

> ...Or get a new wife...
> :)

Tried that. Cost a tad more than my annual Wiggle spend :)

in message <[email protected]>, Maurice
Wibblington ('****@****.net') wrote:

> Chums
>
> I had my new (first) racing bike in for it's one-month post-sale
> service in October, and out on it yesterday I realised somewhat
> sheepishly that I have been spending all my time out on it, rather
> than keeping it in good nick, as it wasn't running silently any more.
>
> So I'm looking for tips to looking after it - ongoing regular oiling
> or whatever, and a more thorough clean. Winter time would ideally see
> me out on Sat/Sun for an hour or two either or both days, and a couple
> of shorter peddlies during the week if work allows.
>
> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month? A quick
> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
> 'new hobby')

Don't waste money on the special chain cleaning things, they're a faff and
don't work well. Spend it instead on a proper SRAM magic link (or if on a
10 speed chain, a Wippermann Connex magic link) which makes it easy to get
the chain off the bike. Then drop the chain in a pop bottle half full of
solvent or degreaser, shake vigorously, take it out and leave it to dry
thoroughly, relube the chain, leave plenty of time for the lube to soak
in, then wipe any excess lube carefully off the outside of the chain
before putting it back on the bike. Wippermann and SRAM magic links are
re-usable; some of the other brands of magic links are one use only, so
beware.

The main thing for everything else is keep it clean; do not over-lubricate.
Disassemble the derailleur cage when the jockey wheels get filthy and
clean them up.

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from  religious conviction."          -- Pascal

On 05/01/2007 23:06, Simon Brooke said,

> Don't waste money on the special chain cleaning things, they're a faff and
> don't work well.

I don't use them myself because they look like too much faff, but a
couple of people I know swear by the Muc-Off version. I'll have to ask
them how they clean the chain cleaner!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

>> Don't waste money on the special chain cleaning things, they're a faff
>> and
>> don't work well.

> I don't use them myself because they look like too much faff, but a
> couple of people I know swear by the Muc-Off version. I'll have to ask
> them how they clean the chain cleaner!

I don't know about tho Muc-Off one, but I've got a Finish Line version,
and I do think it's brilliant personally. It doesn't clean quite as well
as taking the chain off and soaking in solvents, but it takes about
three minutes to do and is almost as good. I clean the cleaner by
holding it under a tap, which works remarkably well!

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>>> Don't waste money on the special chain cleaning things, they're a faff
>>> and
>>> don't work well.

>> I don't use them myself because they look like too much faff, but a
>> couple of people I know swear by the Muc-Off version. I'll have to ask
>> them how they clean the chain cleaner!

> I don't know about tho Muc-Off one, but I've got a Finish Line version,
> and I do think it's brilliant personally. It doesn't clean quite as well
> as taking the chain off and soaking in solvents, but it takes about three
> minutes to do and is almost as good. I clean the cleaner by holding it
> under a tap, which works remarkably well!

They're good if you've not got much time to faff with the chain, aye.

> in message <[email protected]>, Maurice
> Wibblington ('****@****.net') wrote:
>
>> Chums
>>
>> I had my new (first) racing bike in for it's one-month post-sale
>> service in October, and out on it yesterday I realised somewhat
>> sheepishly that I have been spending all my time out on it, rather
>> than keeping it in good nick, as it wasn't running silently any more.
>>
>> So I'm looking for tips to looking after it - ongoing regular oiling
>> or whatever, and a more thorough clean. Winter time would ideally see
>> me out on Sat/Sun for an hour or two either or both days, and a couple
>> of shorter peddlies during the week if work allows.
>>
>> So what should I be doing, say, every week and every month? A quick
>> trawl via google showed some very professional looking stripping down
>> of chains and special chain degreasing thingies (the wife is just
>> going to love it if I head of to LBS and spend even more money on my
>> 'new hobby')

> Don't waste money on the special chain cleaning things, they're a faff and
> don't work well. Spend it instead on a proper SRAM magic link (or if on a
> 10 speed chain, a Wippermann Connex magic link) which makes it easy to get
> the chain off the bike. Then drop the chain in a pop bottle half full of
> solvent or degreaser,

<snip>

Don't leave your chain in white spirit for ages like I did. It can absorb
water and your chain can rust...