Tips on cycling in South Africa.(Garden Route )

Gearoid

Feb 11, 2005
Hi every one. New to the Cycling bug. But got it bad. So to say, Im Hopping to head over next year with a group and do the Garden Route next year. Is there any thing we need to know or need to see Along the way. Cycling in ireland Im sure is a hole different ball game then it is in South Africa. Thinking of going over in Sep 06. Whats the weather like. We be using hybrids but Im use to a Mtb. Which I bought as I was pretty big. Have read that there are some really big climbs on the route.Doing about 400k a week on flat and some rolling hills.Slowly Building up for some of the bigger hill runs. I know my post is a bit all over the place but thats just me lol. Look forword to any thing you got to tell me.

Gearoid

Ireland.

I live in South Africa but have never toured here. Check out the time of year you will be touring against weather conditions. I never go anywhere to tour when it rains. Perhaps the Irish are O.K.with rain. There are big climbs along the garden route. It can also get a bit hot in summer. Very very pretty. I would reccomend a lonely planet or rough guide for background info.Spares food water accomodation camping etc should be no problem.

Martin K said:
I live in South Africa but have never toured here. Check out the time of year you will be touring against weather conditions. I never go anywhere to tour when it rains. Perhaps the Irish are O.K.with rain. There are big climbs along the garden route. It can also get a bit hot in summer. Very very pretty. I would reccomend a lonely planet or rough guide for background info.Spares food water accomodation camping etc should be no problem.
It will be in Sep or Oct of next year and as for the rain. Us irish a water babies don't you know lol .:D

Thats the begining of summer and the weather should be great, not too much rain and not too hot. Well it will be warm, 25 to 30 degrees C.

Martin K said:
Thats the begining of summer and the weather should be great, not too much rain and not too hot. Well it will be warm, 25 to 30 degrees C.
nice one. so any thing i need look out for. there will be a good group of us about 50 in all. so im sure we be safe enough. lol just little things we need to look out for.

Be careful in the sun. Use a goood sunblock. You can be hospitalised if you burn enough over a period of days.Dehydration frequently affects visitors from colder wetter climates. I would reccomend the use of a hydration pack.Other than that just the normal cyclling stuff. You shoould be safe enough in a large group. I have toured in Egypt, Eritrea, Tanzania, Malawi, Ethiopia, Kenya annd Mozambique with small groups and have been mostly O.K. Actualy Ethiopia can get a biit dodgy. Did a 2 week tour 2 years ago in Tanzania just my girkfriend and I and it was fantastic. Check out cyclemashatu for a fun thing

Martin

How are your preperations going,Do you know which route you'll be taking along the gardenroute,by that i mean along the N2 freeway Cape Town To Knysna,or are you deviating along the coastal roads.
I cycled from (Gordens bay to Mosselbay )which is part of the Garden Rout,Last year Sept .Along the coastal roads most of it gravle about 6oo km of cycling and 80ks a day is about the max you can push.If you stick to the freeway you could push 100ks a day.The plan was to ride 7 days but weather and mechanical problems cut it down to 5.
The distances are determined by the campsites we did out trip without veicle suport and carried all our own nesessities.Some days ended up shorter than others.If you want i could e/mail you the detailed report on our expedition.
I would BE COOL to do a cycle trip in Irland.
Howard.

HowardSteele said:
How are your preperations going,Do you know which route you'll be taking along the gardenroute,by that i mean along the N2 freeway Cape Town To Knysna,or are you deviating along the coastal roads.
I cycled from (Gordens bay to Mosselbay )which is part of the Garden Rout,Last year Sept .Along the coastal roads most of it gravle about 6oo km of cycling and 80ks a day is about the max you can push.If you stick to the freeway you could push 100ks a day.The plan was to ride 7 days but weather and mechanical problems cut it down to 5.
The distances are determined by the campsites we did out trip without veicle suport and carried all our own nesessities.Some days ended up shorter than others.If you want i could e/mail you the detailed report on our expedition.
I would BE COOL to do a cycle trip in Irland.
Howard.
How you doing Howard. Training going well, started to train on the hills now once i had my base done. God what a killer the hills are. Not sure of the route Im just showing up lol. Off the bike at thr moment with a head cold trying to shake it off but no joy. Tell me whats the weather like there in September. We should have a good back up team with parts.(lets hope) If any thing needs fixing. could be the coastal route I'm thinking but dont quote me. Any thing I need to be on the look for when Im there. Points of interest, safety,Things to give a miss.?

Hi there,

Well firstly the weather in Sept is hit and miss, it’s suppose to be a month past the rainy season but we had rain on our trip, it’s also the windy month along the coastal areas so you can expect an energy sapping headwind on occasion.

The scenery along the garden route is woldclass very varied and covers, mountain ranges, pine plantation, open farmland fields of commercial crops to the local fynbos. The coastal trip is by far the most scenic and can take you to the most southerly point of the continent, Agulas.

The heat didn’t bother us but then we are locals, the hottest day was 32c and the coolest about 20c.So Hydrate, hydrate, water is not sufficient you’ll need an energy replacement.

Mosquitoes at night can be troublesome, but apart from the itch we’re not in a malaria area, we have a type of fly, (We call it A Horsefly) it’s quite large and it gives a mean stinging bite that causes a nice lump and days of itching, so a good antihistamine is a must. I battle to sleep in strange places so the antihistamine helped for that to.

We slept in tents, in Caravan parks along the route, but I guess you guys will use bed and breakfast’s and if you have backup vehicles you don’t have to worry about getting to shops and accommodation before they close.

Then of course its how many k’s a day you are expected to ride and with that comes your own personal training, the terrain is series of up’s and downs so keep those hilly areas on your training rout.

Safety along the route with a back up team should not be a problem, we found the locals friendly and helpful, however there are opportunists that target tourists so apply your travel discretion. Like I would do visiting any foreign country, cameras valuables etc.

It’ll be an experience you’ll treasure forever, besides the cape’s wine routes the scubadiving, beaches shark diving and endless other outdoors experiences.

Howard.

Sounds all good. to me apart from the hills. lol Think next year il go cycling in holland. all flat lol As for the horseflies we have the nastie feckers here too. AKA shite flies. they have a horrible bite. drives you mad for days scratching it.lol
Well we will be staying in some nice hotels along the way. I will have my High drinks and energy bars for the trip. did you the robinson pass. by chance. ? believ its a hard old cycle something like 900m climb. think I will be bumbing a lift to the top lol. been told the locals are lovely. and to watch out for baboons lol is this true. Im still getting use to dogs running after me lol.

Gearoid said:
Sounds all good. to me apart from the hills. lol Think next year il go cycling in holland. all flat lol As for the horseflies we have the nastie feckers here too. AKA shite flies. they have a horrible bite. drives you mad for days scratching it.lol
Well we will be staying in some nice hotels along the way. I will have my High drinks and energy bars for the trip. did you the robinson pass. by chance. ? believ its a hard old cycle something like 900m climb. think I will be bumbing a lift to the top lol. been told the locals are lovely. and to watch out for baboons lol is this true. Im still getting use to dogs running after me lol.
Hey there have so few incedents of baboons injuring people,its probably lower than being struck by lightning ,and those cases were probably initiated, by the humans,i cycle passed a troop of baboons daily,and when i say passed i somtimes have to weave between them,the leader is an enormous brute and he does look menacing but believe it or not its the juviniles that are more af a problem ,they run towards you,to check you out.Worry about sunburn more than anything ,remember a good pair of sun glasses.
I recieved this by mail yesterday check it out its probably not the rout you are pedling but it looks interesting.www.greateventcompany.com
Howard.

Been doing some reading and it does seem like alot of people get hurt by baboons because there in wrong place at the right moment. When to males are fighting. it is said they just lash out. the link is very good. doesnt say how much though. well not that i could see. What part of africa you from.I will have lots of sun cream. as for the rain us Irish are water proof. lol rains here all the time. not a good day here with out a head wind ether lol As for cycling in Ireland. Once you get out of the major towns or city, Its great very relaxing the people are friendly. Last summer i cycled fron Dublin to Shannonbridge and back in 2 days round trip of 316km. Did the trip on my own and loved almost every minute of it, lol One of the hottest weeks of our summer that week. had factor 50 on and still got cooked. lol so i know il be needing some a wee bit stronger for Africa. talk to you soon

I Live in Tokai a suburb of Cape Town, Its nescelled at the foot of the table mountain range; My MTB ing Trail is literally in my back yard so i ride one of the most scenic rides nearly daily. My average ride is gravel jeep track with a climb to about 500m over about 14km.
Il try and paste some pics
Then its challenging single track back down to the start or if I’m lazy back down the way I came up, along the way I have encountered, snakes,(cobra’s and puff adders),Lizards,eagles,kestrels and 100’s of smaller species of birds, the baboons are there daily as i mentioned and probably the weirdest was a crab crossing the mountain track.

Baboons do bite, and by feeding them these opportunists quickly pick up that humans are an easy mark, for free food. Out at Cape Point, they have figured out that backpacks contain juicy morsels and have adopted a ****** and grab tactic, scaring the jeebes out of the tourists. But then this is a tourist hot spot with hundreds if not thousands of visitors interacting with the baboons daily.
Howard.

Can you tell what Robinson Pass is like, i know its 900 m climb. but over what distants. I can cycle all day but the hills kill me. Im push 111kg so im not mountain goat. lol Il be in cape town for a few days where good to go. and where best to stay away from.

Howzit,

I haven't ventured up the Robinson pass by bike yet and it's been a while since i did it by car so i cant really remember the gradient or at what point you cover the worst bit of the climb, if I come across some details I’ll post it.

On browsing the net for info, I think i stumbled on your tour details for Sept.

Land in Cape Town, Bus to Knysna, Train trip to George but your first day of riding is Mosselbay to Oudshoorn? If this is your trip, don’t sweat you'll have plenty of back up and the accommodation looks good, there seems to be plenty of time for sightseeing etc,

I’m working on a site that has a brief description and some pics of the rides we do here Cape Town, MTB trails that is .It still needs a bit of tweaking and some pics never loaded but have a look and tell me what you think.

http://myweb.absa.co.za/jaapster this is the site and the pics are under my name Howard.

Hi there,

Yeah that sound like the trip im taking. Im just turning up lol. passport in hand cycling gear in the other. The morning are getting brighter so im doing a few extra laps around the Phoenix park So I'm doing about 50 km a day Monday to Friday. Good long run Saturday or Sunday. 80 - 100 km run. So I should be fighting fit for the trip. Your web page has some great pictures. Looks like a good run. Take it the lad in the picture is ur son.? How long does it take you to cover that run. Looks like great fun. Can you tell me wheres good and safe to go out in the evening in Capetown. I know I would have to get a taxi here and there. But what places are good to go. Will be in capwtown 3 days i'm thinking and won't be sitting in the hotel.

Cape Town, has plenty of clubbing and night spots, the Waterfront has every thing touristy, shops, resteraunts, movies etc and then the centre of town at night has raves, clubs, massage parlours you name it it's there.

Your daily excursions are limitless Shark cage diving, wine routes, sailing.surfing diving, and chilling out on the famous beaches.

The best is to head to the Tourist info centre on your arrival, they are a great help and have brochures and info on all the info you need. They will update you on no go areas, areas of high incidence of crime on tourists and then of course we have areas the locals avoid to.

The Tokai trail offers various options with over 50 km of trail, the run up to the silvermine gate and back is about 28km and climbs 500m,All nice loose gravely stuff on your way down you can run the the single track, which has some nice technical sections.

The youngster is a friend’s son; his mom doesn't ride so he joins us on rides. My son is working on the rigs in Scottland, he phoned last week to complain about the cold and snow. Its A LOVELY 34 d/cel here today with a clear weekend beconing, Scuba dive Saturday morning and a long ride on Sunday

Gearoid said:
Been doing some reading and it does seem like alot of people get hurt by baboons because there in wrong place at the right moment. When to males are fighting. it is said they just lash out. the link is very good. doesnt say how much though. well not that i could see. What part of africa you from.I will have lots of sun cream. as for the rain us Irish are water proof. lol rains here all the time. not a good day here with out a head wind ether lol As for cycling in Ireland. Once you get out of the major towns or city, Its great very relaxing the people are friendly. Last summer i cycled fron Dublin to Shannonbridge and back in 2 days round trip of 316km. Did the trip on my own and loved almost every minute of it, lol One of the hottest weeks of our summer that week. had factor 50 on and still got cooked. lol so i know il be needing some a wee bit stronger for Africa. talk to you soon
very sad! isn't there anything to do regarding this?

http://educationdegree.net
http://flighttoeurope.net

carvin77 said:
very sad! isn't there anything to do regarding this?

http://educationdegree.net
http://flighttoeurope.net

May be to you, but there questions I wanted answers for. So whats the harm in asking silly questions. You get silly answers back. All u hear about South Africa is the crime and the poor state of the country. I want to know what the story is from some one from there. And i wont find out unless I ask.