Tips on keeping your energy level up during a ride

Rcyclist

Jul 10, 2009
What are some methods you guys use to keep your energy level up during ride? I know consuming drinks with electrolytes is one way, but I find my concentration level tracking off since I am burning up so much energy.
What are some dietary suggestions and supplements that are recommended? I have had a few friends recommend me Amino Vital products.

Drinks, bars, gel prodcuts, candy (yeah I sometimes carry some in my pocket) all will help with energy - glycogen - levels.

I just bought Hammer Gel. It came in an economic bottle with 26 servings, for around $18. That's about as cheap you'll find. It contains long-chain starch molecules, which essentially supplies more sustained blood glucose, without a 'sugar' crash. Now I only wish I did not buy the 'Unflavored' stuff. I tried it on my first ride yesterday using a small plastic flask in my jersey pocket. I found it very easy to consume and felt very energized -- the whole time.

Prior to this I had been eating Power Bars. Not too much protein. Protein causes blood flow to be directed to the gut, for aid in digestion. We want the blood in our legs. They also have a ~50/50 breakup of sugars and starches, gramwise. It is tested and proven that fructose sugar molecules, in the presence of glucose, synergize and increase the speed of glycogen synthesis. I believe this is because fructose is steadily uptaken in the liver, while glucose goes to muscles rapidly. In glycolysis glucose can enter the cycle immediately, while fructose has to be changed first. BTW sucrose (table sugar) is a mixture of fructose and glucose, near 50/50.

On the topic of glycogen, there is caffeine. Caffeine in the presence of carbohydrates increases the creation of glycogen. I only bring this up because you mention your concentration was waning during strenuous riding. Caffeine would help with the mental focus, and it also lowers your levels of perceived exertion. I find it lowers my tolerance threshold for the lactic burn. I dunno, just an idea.

I am neither a power bar nor hammer gel employee.

Hope this helps.

I like using crystal meth because it acts quickly and because it not only gives me that jolt of energy, it also makes me feel great. Also, I like that the dollars I spend on meth go right back into the local economy.

Or I use Gatorade Endurance formula for drink, Clif Bars, Sport Beans, peanut butter and jelly, banana, or whatever I'm in the mood for on a given day. There's a lot of science that's missing behind the claims of many performance supplement manufacturers.

Those claims are not from a manufacturer.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to my post.

graywulf said:
Those claims are not from a manufacturer.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to my post.

No, I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to manufacturer claims, internet claims, statements from personal coaches or trainers, and so on. There is a surplus of BS out there.

I suggest reading The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel.
Changed everything for me.

pgk said:
I second Hammer Gel, the raspberry tastes excellent.
I will have to check that out. But again I don't know to much on this particular supplement so I need to do my research first. But thanks I will look into this. I have been using Amino Vital, and it has been working out to be pretty good.

Rcyclist said:
What are some methods you guys use to keep your energy level up during ride? I know consuming drinks with electrolytes is one way, but I find my concentration level tracking off since I am burning up so much energy.
What are some dietary suggestions and supplements that are recommended? I have had a few friends recommend me Amino Vital products.

What length of training ride are we talking about here?

alienator said:
I like using crystal meth because it acts quickly and because it not only gives me that jolt of energy, it also makes me feel great. Also, I like that the dollars I spend on meth go right back into the local economy...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one doing this! The only down side is I keep getting my bike stolen when I ride to my dealer's place... and its getting hard making cool route that pass through his hood.

graywulf said:
Drinks, bars, gel prodcuts, candy (yeah I sometimes carry some in my pocket) all will help with energy - glycogen - levels.

I just bought Hammer Gel. It came in an economic bottle with 26 servings, for around $18. That's about as cheap you'll find. It contains long-chain starch molecules, which essentially supplies more sustained blood glucose, without a 'sugar' crash. Now I only wish I did not buy the 'Unflavored' stuff. I tried it on my first ride yesterday using a small plastic flask in my jersey pocket. I found it very easy to consume and felt very energized -- the whole time.

Prior to this I had been eating Power Bars. Not too much protein. Protein causes blood flow to be directed to the gut, for aid in digestion. We want the blood in our legs. They also have a ~50/50 breakup of sugars and starches, gramwise. It is tested and proven that fructose sugar molecules, in the presence of glucose, synergize and increase the speed of glycogen synthesis. I believe this is because fructose is steadily uptaken in the liver, while glucose goes to muscles rapidly. In glycolysis glucose can enter the cycle immediately, while fructose has to be changed first. BTW sucrose (table sugar) is a mixture of fructose and glucose, near 50/50.

On the topic of glycogen, there is caffeine. Caffeine in the presence of carbohydrates increases the creation of glycogen. I only bring this up because you mention your concentration was waning during strenuous riding. Caffeine would help with the mental focus, and it also lowers your levels of perceived exertion. I find it lowers my tolerance threshold for the lactic burn. I dunno, just an idea.

I am neither a power bar nor hammer gel employee.

Hope this helps.
Read Hammers little booklet "The Endurance Athelete's Guide to Success". Just started to use this approach on past 4 century+ rides. It is working for me. Since using the guidance more consistant energy on the bike, no more bloating. My biggest learnings were 1. Avoiding Excess Hydration 2. Replenishment based on digestive intake limitations (not replacement) 3. Not eating several hours before ride, not drinking 30 minutes prior to the ride.

swampy1970 said:
What length of training ride are we talking about here?

The time I am talking about is between 30 mins-1 hour and half.
The length of the ride I would say bout 10-25 miles.

One of my favorites is Brazil nuts, Almonds, half a banana and some Cinamon in a blender with some water this way the nuts are easier to digest and you can just drink it right down. I also take enzymes, calcium, magnesium, zinc and kelp tablets for my thyroid because eating allot of nuts depletes iodine.

Johnny @ Local Bike Trader - Used Bicycles for Sale

I bring 4~6 Fig bars to eat and wash it down with a water bottle.

A close friend won 3 TDF's titles and was a 2 time world champion and has told me he would have water bottles prepared 50/50 flat Coke and water in his day... (Guess it worked for him!)

Rcyclist said:

Dried bananas. Low GI, high levels of carbohydrate and a few minerals too. Low mass. Cheaper than power bars, gatorade, gels etc and as good or better. And they taste good.

Rcyclist said:
The time I am talking about is between 30 mins-1 hour and half.
The length of the ride I would say bout 10-25 miles.

Unless you are hammering for the whole time you shouldn't need anything except water. Most trained athletes have up to 2 hours (serious exertion) worth of glycogen stored. If you are flagging in short(ish) rides there may be some other problem apart from lack of available glycogen.

I usually fill up a 16 oz water bottle with maple syrup, down that within five minutes of starting, and every 20 minutes or so after that I'll powder my face with cocaine and coffee grounds - mostly because it's intimidating and mostly because cocaine is thing I love all time.

mitosis said:
Unless you are hammering for the whole time you shouldn't need anything except water. Most trained athletes have up to 2 hours (serious exertion) worth of glycogen stored. If you are flagging in short(ish) rides there may be some other problem apart from lack of available glycogen.

So whats your view on amino supplements to boast performance?