General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Tips on Pot Roast

Started by Cathy · · Last activity · 70 posts · 3,477 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
Cathy
Posts
70
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,477
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 70
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Vilco said:

    Mi e' parso che Damsel abbia scritto:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Seems you'd be fine on it.hobby.cucina 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Except I'm not bilingual. And I use cottage cheese in my
    lasagne. Vilco, I just think it's not meant to be. <G>

    Heh, I knew it 🙂

    My deepest, darkest secrets are coming out. <gasp!>

    Carol

  2. George <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    aem said:
    Michel Boucher said:

    I do hope this is a joke. What purpose would a creamy sauce
    serve in making a pot roast? And if you insist on a creamy
    sauce, why not just make a béchamel?

    The addictive ingredient, of course, is salt. -aem

    And the same can be said for everything requiring an envelope of
    "onion soup mix" which is probably just 85% salt.

    So again I ask, why bother? When I make a pot roast, I add a cup of
    wine. I make a sauce later by blending some of the vegetables in with
    the juices. Much better tasting, I assure you, and a whole hell of a
    lot less salt.

    --

    "Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

    Dostoevski, The Idiot

  3. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Vilco said:

    Mi e' parso che Damsel abbia scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    > Seems you'd be fine on it.hobby.cucina 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Except I'm not bilingual. And I use cottage cheese in my
    lasagne. Vilco, I just think it's not meant to be. <G>

    Heh, I knew it 🙂

    My deepest, darkest secrets are coming out. <gasp!>

    Carol

    It is a fortune, Carol, that you aren't bilingual. IHC is full of bad boys
    😉
    Pandora

  4. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Cathy"

    Quoted message said:

    I would like some tips from you all on how to cook a roast in the
    oven. I've previously have been cooking roasts in the crockpot but
    would like to try the oven. I have a 3.35lb boneless chuck pot roast.
    Cathy


    Stovetop, brown it on both sides in a bit of oil. Add about 1/2 cup
    water and cover it and bake it at 325 for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
    Somebody else will tell you about adding vegetables and seasonings. Low
    and slow.

    Yep! Barb is right. I do chuck pot roast in the oven all the time.

    Season meat with salt & pepper...Brown on both sides in oil on top of
    stove. Add rough cut onion, enough beef broth to just cover meat, a
    cup or so of red wine..a few bay leaves...maybe some dried thyme or
    marjoram...black pepper...cover and slide into a 325F oven for about
    3 hours.

    After three or so hours ( depending on the size of the pot roast) add
    some carrots, return to oven.... about 20 minutes later, add some
    potatoes. I cut the carrots and potatoes into chunks.. cook another 30
    minutes or so until carrots & potatoes are fork tender...Serve..using
    pan juices for gravy...

    I cook mine in a heavy dutch oven that has a heavy lid..to seal in the
    heat. They always turn out great..good flavor and very tender.

    Note: When you go to add the carrots, check the level of liquid. If it
    has evaporated a lot, you may need to add more broth or some water.

    Debra

  5. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Cathy"

    Quoted message said:

    I would like some tips from you all on how to cook a roast in the
    oven. I've previously have been cooking roasts in the crockpot but
    would like to try the oven. I have a 3.35lb boneless chuck pot roast.
    Cathy


    Stovetop, brown it on both sides in a bit of oil. Add about 1/2 cup
    water and cover it and bake it at 325 for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
    Somebody else will tell you about adding vegetables and seasonings. Low
    and slow.

    Yep! Barb is right. I do chuck pot roast in the oven all the time.

    Season meat with salt & pepper...Brown on both sides in oil on top of
    stove. Add rough cut onion, enough beef broth to just cover meat, a
    cup or so of red wine..a few bay leaves...maybe some dried thyme or
    marjoram...black pepper...cover and slide into a 325F oven for about
    3 hours.

    After three or so hours ( depending on the size of the pot roast) add
    some carrots, return to oven.... about 20 minutes later, add some
    potatoes. I cut the carrots and potatoes into chunks.. cook another 30
    minutes or so until carrots & potatoes are fork tender...Serve..using
    pan juices for gravy...

    I cook mine in a heavy dutch oven that has a heavy lid..to seal in the
    heat. They always turn out great..good flavor and very tender.

    Note: When you go to add the carrots, check the level of liquid. If it
    has evaporated a lot, you may need to add more broth or some water.

    Debra

  6. This is the best pot roast, our family loves it and everyone to whom
    we have served it has been exuberant in their praise. It doubles well,
    and is very tasty.

    Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking

    2 carrots, peeled and cut in half width wise (I used 4 and quartered
    them)
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 4 wedges
    3 cloves garlic, smashed (I use 4)
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 large bay leaf
    3 whole cloves or allspice berries (we used cloves and will try the
    allspice next time)
    1 cup homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
    1 cup dry white wine (they recommended Sauvignon Blanc, I used Pinot
    Grigio)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2-3 lbs)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brandy
    1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I used about 4 times this amount)
    1/2 teaspoon grainy prepared mustard (again, 4 times this)
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1 teaspoon all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons finely minced flat leaf parsley

    Put carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and cloves or allspice in
    the bottom of a slow cooker. In measuring cup or bowl, whisk together
    the broth, wine and tomato paste to blend.

    Set large heavy based skillet over medium high heat. Pat roast dry,
    rub with olive oil, salt and pepper all over. Sear roast in skillet
    until a dark crust forms on one side, 3-5 minutes, turn and sear other
    side. Reduce heat to medium and put roast on top of vegetables in the
    crock. Add broth mixture to skillet, bring to boil and scrape the
    bottom to loosen any browned bits. Pour the liquid over the roast and
    cover the crock, don't stir. Turn the slow cooker to low, cook gently
    without lifting the lid until the roast is fall apart tender, 8-10 hours
    (I did this for 8 hours).

    Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Strain
    contents of crock through a sieve set over a medium sauce pan (I used
    the same skillet from before). Discard the solids (I disagree with this
    and saved the carrots, onion and garlic to serve with the meat). Skim
    fat from the top of the strained liquid. Bring to boil and simmer
    rapidly until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the brandy,
    horseradish and mustard. In a small bowl, mix the flour into the sour
    cream, stir in a few tablespoons of the sauce, then pour the sour cream
    mixture into the sauce, whisking vigorously to blend. Cook over medium
    heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
    Meanwhile, slice the roast thinly. Serve with the gravy and a
    sprinkling of parsley.

    I like to serve this with either mashed potatoes or egg noodles and a
    salad along with the veggies from the pot.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  7. This is the best pot roast, our family loves it and everyone to whom
    we have served it has been exuberant in their praise. It doubles well,
    and is very tasty.

    Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking

    2 carrots, peeled and cut in half width wise (I used 4 and quartered
    them)
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 4 wedges
    3 cloves garlic, smashed (I use 4)
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 large bay leaf
    3 whole cloves or allspice berries (we used cloves and will try the
    allspice next time)
    1 cup homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
    1 cup dry white wine (they recommended Sauvignon Blanc, I used Pinot
    Grigio)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2-3 lbs)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brandy
    1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I used about 4 times this amount)
    1/2 teaspoon grainy prepared mustard (again, 4 times this)
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1 teaspoon all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons finely minced flat leaf parsley

    Put carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and cloves or allspice in
    the bottom of a slow cooker. In measuring cup or bowl, whisk together
    the broth, wine and tomato paste to blend.

    Set large heavy based skillet over medium high heat. Pat roast dry,
    rub with olive oil, salt and pepper all over. Sear roast in skillet
    until a dark crust forms on one side, 3-5 minutes, turn and sear other
    side. Reduce heat to medium and put roast on top of vegetables in the
    crock. Add broth mixture to skillet, bring to boil and scrape the
    bottom to loosen any browned bits. Pour the liquid over the roast and
    cover the crock, don't stir. Turn the slow cooker to low, cook gently
    without lifting the lid until the roast is fall apart tender, 8-10 hours
    (I did this for 8 hours).

    Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Strain
    contents of crock through a sieve set over a medium sauce pan (I used
    the same skillet from before). Discard the solids (I disagree with this
    and saved the carrots, onion and garlic to serve with the meat). Skim
    fat from the top of the strained liquid. Bring to boil and simmer
    rapidly until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the brandy,
    horseradish and mustard. In a small bowl, mix the flour into the sour
    cream, stir in a few tablespoons of the sauce, then pour the sour cream
    mixture into the sauce, whisking vigorously to blend. Cook over medium
    heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
    Meanwhile, slice the roast thinly. Serve with the gravy and a
    sprinkling of parsley.

    I like to serve this with either mashed potatoes or egg noodles and a
    salad along with the veggies from the pot.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  8. Ranee Mueller said:

    This is the best pot roast, our family loves it and everyone to whom
    we have served it has been exuberant in their praise. It doubles well,
    and is very tasty.

    Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking
    [snip]

    Thank you. This sounds more than good enough to encourage people to
    leave the can opener in the drawer. Should also be easy to adapt this
    to stove and oven for those of us who don't crockpot. -aem

  9. Ranee Mueller said:

    This is the best pot roast, our family loves it and everyone to whom
    we have served it has been exuberant in their praise. It doubles well,
    and is very tasty.

    Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking
    [snip]

    Thank you. This sounds more than good enough to encourage people to
    leave the can opener in the drawer. Should also be easy to adapt this
    to stove and oven for those of us who don't crockpot. -aem

  10. Michel Boucher said:

    George <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    aem said:

    Michel Boucher wrote:

    >I do hope this is a joke. What purpose would a creamy sauce
    >serve in making a pot roast? And if you insist on a creamy
    >sauce, why not just make a béchamel?

    The addictive ingredient, of course, is salt. -aem

    And the same can be said for everything requiring an envelope of
    "onion soup mix" which is probably just 85% salt.

    So again I ask, why bother? When I make a pot roast, I add a cup of
    wine. I make a sauce later by blending some of the vegetables in with
    the juices. Much better tasting, I assure you, and a whole hell of a
    lot less salt.

    Agree, there is no "onion soup mix" or "salt with lemon/pepper" in our
    pantry. I also prefer the great taste you get from browning the meat and
    the added flavor of the vegetables.

  11. Michel Boucher said:

    George <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    aem said:

    Michel Boucher wrote:

    >I do hope this is a joke. What purpose would a creamy sauce
    >serve in making a pot roast? And if you insist on a creamy
    >sauce, why not just make a béchamel?

    The addictive ingredient, of course, is salt. -aem

    And the same can be said for everything requiring an envelope of
    "onion soup mix" which is probably just 85% salt.

    So again I ask, why bother? When I make a pot roast, I add a cup of
    wine. I make a sauce later by blending some of the vegetables in with
    the juices. Much better tasting, I assure you, and a whole hell of a
    lot less salt.

    Agree, there is no "onion soup mix" or "salt with lemon/pepper" in our
    pantry. I also prefer the great taste you get from browning the meat and
    the added flavor of the vegetables.

  12. George said:
    aem said:
    Michel Boucher said:

    I do hope this is a joke. What purpose would a creamy sauce serve in
    making a pot roast? And if you insist on a creamy sauce, why not just
    make a béchamel?

    You know full well it's not a joke. Years ago Campbell Soup found an
    incredibly addictive ingredient and put it in their "cream" of mushroom
    soup. Millions of Americans succumbed and the result was an entire
    subculture of "cooks" who dump the product on pork chops, hamburger,
    chicken, green beans, pot roast, and for all I know, ice cream. It's
    not a coincidence that a lot of these "recipes" use the crockpot.

    The addictive ingredient, of course, is salt. -aem

    And the same can be said for everything requiring an envelope of "onion
    soup mix" which is probably just 85% salt.

    Plain toasted dehy onions are readily available, Penzeys has em, makes
    a great onion soup without all that salt.

    Sheldon

  13. George said:
    aem said:
    Michel Boucher said:

    I do hope this is a joke. What purpose would a creamy sauce serve in
    making a pot roast? And if you insist on a creamy sauce, why not just
    make a béchamel?

    You know full well it's not a joke. Years ago Campbell Soup found an
    incredibly addictive ingredient and put it in their "cream" of mushroom
    soup. Millions of Americans succumbed and the result was an entire
    subculture of "cooks" who dump the product on pork chops, hamburger,
    chicken, green beans, pot roast, and for all I know, ice cream. It's
    not a coincidence that a lot of these "recipes" use the crockpot.

    The addictive ingredient, of course, is salt. -aem

    And the same can be said for everything requiring an envelope of "onion
    soup mix" which is probably just 85% salt.

    Plain toasted dehy onions are readily available, Penzeys has em, makes
    a great onion soup without all that salt.

    Sheldon

  14. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Vilco said:

    Mi e' parso che Damsel abbia scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd use all golden. That stuff is delicious, and the
    mushrooms are sliced, not minced (easier to pick out that
    way, and they look nicer, too). I eat the golden
    mushroom as a soup, not an ingredient.

    Nice point, this one.
    Many times I noted that recipe ingredients, here on RFC, often
    include products as these "mushroom soups". In the italian
    newsgroup this would be very odd, and this also says how
    differently we cook.
    Seems you'd be fine on it.hobby.cucina 🙂

    Except I'm not bilingual. And I use cottage cheese in my lasagne. Vilco,
    I just think it's not meant to be. <G>

    Carol

    Me too. I use cottage cheese too with an egg and parmesan.

  15. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Vilco said:

    Mi e' parso che Damsel abbia scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd use all golden. That stuff is delicious, and the
    mushrooms are sliced, not minced (easier to pick out that
    way, and they look nicer, too). I eat the golden
    mushroom as a soup, not an ingredient.

    Nice point, this one.
    Many times I noted that recipe ingredients, here on RFC, often
    include products as these "mushroom soups". In the italian
    newsgroup this would be very odd, and this also says how
    differently we cook.
    Seems you'd be fine on it.hobby.cucina 🙂

    Except I'm not bilingual. And I use cottage cheese in my lasagne. Vilco,
    I just think it's not meant to be. <G>

    Carol

    Me too. I use cottage cheese too with an egg and parmesan.

  16. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:
    Crash (rhymes with TRASH) said:

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Damsel wrote:
    > > "IFerToo" <[email hidden]> said:
    > >
    > >> A woman I know uses 1 can of cream of mushroom and 1 can of golden
    > >> mushroom. The gravy is nice and browned and has a mellow taste.
    > >> This addition was a "mistake" in the 70's when she bought the
    > >> wrong
    > >> soup (the golden).
    > >
    > > I'd use all golden. That stuff is delicious, and the mushrooms are
    > > sliced, not minced (easier to pick out that way, and they look
    > > nicer,
    > > too). I eat the golden mushroom as a soup, not an ingredient.
    > >
    > > Carol
    >
    > I thought you didn't like mushrooms!
    >
    > Jill

    She doesn't.. she picks them out and throws them away where they
    belong.

    Trash

    Like she oughta do with a little piece of [censored] like you... friggin'
    parasite.

    Sheldon

    Please take your meds.

    Crash is no parasite, he is legitimately disabled. In addition to having
    both hips replaced, he's facing knee replacements and work on his back.
    All caused by a bad accident when he was twenty. He also has arthritis in
    his fingers and assorted other joints. And he treats me like a queen.
    We're a very off-beat couple, but it works for us. 🙂

    Carol

    Don't waste your time or energy responding to Sheldon, Carol. He's got what
    he wants then.

    He's the sick one here. Anyone who can always find time to put people down
    and call them
    names is just a child anyway.

    MoM

  17. "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:
    Crash (rhymes with TRASH) said:

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Damsel wrote:
    > > "IFerToo" <[email hidden]> said:
    > >
    > >> A woman I know uses 1 can of cream of mushroom and 1 can of golden
    > >> mushroom. The gravy is nice and browned and has a mellow taste.
    > >> This addition was a "mistake" in the 70's when she bought the
    > >> wrong
    > >> soup (the golden).
    > >
    > > I'd use all golden. That stuff is delicious, and the mushrooms are
    > > sliced, not minced (easier to pick out that way, and they look
    > > nicer,
    > > too). I eat the golden mushroom as a soup, not an ingredient.
    > >
    > > Carol
    >
    > I thought you didn't like mushrooms!
    >
    > Jill

    She doesn't.. she picks them out and throws them away where they
    belong.

    Trash

    Like she oughta do with a little piece of [censored] like you... friggin'
    parasite.

    Sheldon

    Please take your meds.

    Crash is no parasite, he is legitimately disabled. In addition to having
    both hips replaced, he's facing knee replacements and work on his back.
    All caused by a bad accident when he was twenty. He also has arthritis in
    his fingers and assorted other joints. And he treats me like a queen.
    We're a very off-beat couple, but it works for us. 🙂

    Carol

    Don't waste your time or energy responding to Sheldon, Carol. He's got what
    he wants then.

    He's the sick one here. Anyone who can always find time to put people down
    and call them
    names is just a child anyway.

    MoM

  18. On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:49:21 -0500, Damsel <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This is the *only* way we make chuck roasts. Don't worry that your roast
    is bigger than the one called for in the recipe. It won't be undercooked.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    On Again, Off Again Pot Roast

    Recipe By :Margaret Fox (Cafe Beajolais Cookbook)
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : beef

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 pounds chuck roast -- at room temperature
    1 teaspoon salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 yellow onions -- peeled and thinly
    sliced

    Rub salt, pepper and garlic into chuck roast and place in a Dutch oven.
    Cover with the onions.
    Cover and place in a 360 degree oven for 1 hour.
    Remove cover and bake for 1 more hour
    Replace top and bake for 1 more hour.

    Source:
    "Chris Dabney in rec.food.cooking"

    360 degrees? Are you sure it's not supposed to be a ROUND steak?
    hahahahaha!!

    I'm sorry- I couldn't resist 🙂

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  19. On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:49:21 -0500, Damsel <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This is the *only* way we make chuck roasts. Don't worry that your roast
    is bigger than the one called for in the recipe. It won't be undercooked.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    On Again, Off Again Pot Roast

    Recipe By :Margaret Fox (Cafe Beajolais Cookbook)
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : beef

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 pounds chuck roast -- at room temperature
    1 teaspoon salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 yellow onions -- peeled and thinly
    sliced

    Rub salt, pepper and garlic into chuck roast and place in a Dutch oven.
    Cover with the onions.
    Cover and place in a 360 degree oven for 1 hour.
    Remove cover and bake for 1 more hour
    Replace top and bake for 1 more hour.

    Source:
    "Chris Dabney in rec.food.cooking"

    360 degrees? Are you sure it's not supposed to be a ROUND steak?
    hahahahaha!!

    I'm sorry- I couldn't resist 🙂

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  20. MOMPEAGRAM said:

    "Damsel" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Vilco said:

    Seems you'd be fine on it.hobby.cucina 🙂

    Except I'm not bilingual. And I use cottage cheese in my lasagne. Vilco,
    I just think it's not meant to be. <G>

    Me too. I use cottage cheese too with an egg and parmesan.

    I've never used an egg, although I've had lasagna that includes it. I just
    use cottage cheese, mozzarella, and some parmesan on the top. Oh, and the
    pasta and meat sauce ...

    Carol

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.