Tips or devices for remembering questions thought up on a ride?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Raptor, May 23, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was unusual and might have sparked
    interesting discussion. But now I can't for the life of me remember it. This has happened many times
    in my life.

    By definition, it's not all that important otherwise I'd remember it. But it seemed important at the
    time, somewhere in the "that'd be kind of cool to know" category.

    Short of carrying a portable cassette recorder, which would have sucked since I climbed a couple
    thousand feet, are there crafty techniques or devices that you use? (I guess just riding with
    someone would do the trick, but that would involve actually finding riding buddies.)

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Short of carrying a portable cassette recorder, which would have sucked since I climbed a couple
    > thousand feet, are there crafty techniques or devices that you use?

    Pencil and paper. Great for getting girl's phone numbers, too.

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Short of carrying a portable cassette recorder, which would have sucked since I climbed a couple
    >thousand feet, are there crafty techniques or devices that you use? (I guess just riding with
    >someone would do the trick, but that would involve actually finding riding buddies.)

    Only other one I've tried probably sucks more than the cassette recorder: Sony
    Clie (i.e. PalmPilot) that records voice.

    How about a fine ballpoint pen and just write it on the back of your hand or leg?

    OTOH, you could leave yourself a cellphone message...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. In this nutso communications age, there must be dozens of ultra-lightweight, handheld recorders like
    the business-types carry around.

    Not being a card-carrying member of that fraternity, I'm afraid I can't be specific, though.... :)

    Joe

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Short of carrying a portable cassette recorder, which would have sucked since I climbed a couple
    >thousand feet, are there crafty techniques or devices that you use? (I guess just riding with
    >someone would do the trick, but that would involve actually finding riding buddies.)

    I think your best bet is Telepathic communication.

    In fact, I am quite sure I felt the ether move this afternoon and I realized that you had a
    question that you wanted to post on RBT. As I remember it, it was really quite an
    interesting question.

    But alas, I cannot remember it either.

    Tape recorders, cell phone, PDA's these are more reliable than Telepaths, but not as fun... <g>

    Jon Isaacs

  6. Raptor wrote:
    > On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was =

    > unusual and might have sparked interesting discussion. But now I can't=
    =20
    > for the life of me remember it. This has happened many times in my lif=
    e.

    My latest toy, a Sony Cli=E9 NZ90 does this for me. I can write a memo, =

    or record hours of talk, or make a little MPEG movie. It also has a 2=20 megapixle still camera and
    an MP3 player. If I get bored, I've got lots =

    of books and games stored in it.

    Sheldon "Yes, I'm A Techno-Geek" Brown +------------------------------------------------------+
    | If I have been able to see farther than others, | it was because I stood on the shoulders of
    | giants. | -- Sir Isaac Newton |
    +------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  7. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    If I have been able to see farther than others, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants. -- Sir Isaac Newton
    Hey Sheldon - That's one of my favorite quotes - there's a great story behind it... know what Isaac was really talking about?

    (sorry to go OT here... now back to the pencil vs palm pilot debate)

  8. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was unusual and might have
    > sparked interesting discussion. But now I can't <snip> --
    > --
    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    I carry something called a brain. It comes in useful for
    rememb...........................................What was I saying again :)

    Stan Cox

  9. On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:11:41 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Short of carrying a portable cassette recorder, which would have sucked since I climbed a couple
    >thousand feet, are there crafty techniques or devices that you use?

    A secretary with a shorthand pad, riding as the stoker on a tandem.
    <G>

    Barry

  10. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Stan Cox wrote:
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was unusual and might have
    >>sparked interesting discussion. But now I can't <snip> --
    >>--
    >>Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
    >

    > I carry something called a brain. It comes in useful for
    > rememb...........................................What was I saying again :)
    >
    > Stan Cox

    It always struck me as just so much extra weight on a 15-mile uphill, so I usually leave it at home.

  11. On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:11:41 +0000, Raptor wrote:

    > On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was unusual and might have
    > sparked interesting discussion. But now I can't for the life of me remember it. This has happened
    > many times in my
    life.

    You are developing the CRS disease. Many of us suffer in silence.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  12. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:11:41 +0000, Raptor wrote:
    >

    >>On today's ride, a great question to pose here occurred to me. It was unusual and might have
    >>sparked interesting discussion. But now I can't for the life of me remember it. This has happened
    >>many times in my life.
    >
    > You are developing the CRS disease. Many of us suffer in silence.

    I used to know what that was, but I've forgotten it.

    Pat

    --
    Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    'round-about comcast point net.

  13. You might try one of the microcassette recorders, they're about the size of a cell phone. There may
    even be a real tiny MP3 recorder out there by now.