Tips to lose weight without dieting

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by CoreAddison, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Zhen25

Zhen25 Member

These are some really good tips that I think are worth the try. I would substitute the the water and ice for lemon water though.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't like just plain water, myself included so you can substitute that with flavoured water instead.

You can of course make it yourself, but even the pre-packed, flavoured bottles water hardly as any calories so thryvcan be used also.

3. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith New Member

I gained all my weight back from lack of exercise and overeating all the time. I used to walk a lot. I will have to try some of these tips. I need to lose a LOT of weight. I have an exercise bike but I don't even use that. I need some motivation big time. Is seltzer water bad for you? I love the burn of fizzy drinks and I'm addicted to Pepsi. I sometimes buy seltzer water. I buy plain and lemon lime. I have also mixed Pepsi in the plain one so I wouldn't rink so much Pepsi but could still have carbonation. I'm not too sure how good seltzer water is for you though.

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

If you're exercising it is important to get the required nutritional volumes to help you perform.

Losing weight is a specific objective though. By not getting out and cycling as much at this time of year (it's winter here in the northern hemisphere), I find that I tend to burn less calories, so I have to reduce my food intake to compensate.

5. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

You can't lose pounds if you eat too much.
    Exercise is for fitness and diet is for weight control. Granted some weight control can happen if you burn a tonne of calories, but that paradigm is pretty solid.
    It's simple people. If you eat a lot of calories you will gain and if you don't then you will lose. If you want to lose some pounds get regular fitness and eat around 1500 calories a day.

6. Weatherby

Weatherby Well-Known Member

You can't outride a bad diet.

I can't tell you how many fat 10,000 mile per year cyclists that I see.

Ya gutta address what does into your mouth

7. Keyan

Keyan Member

I have read that the cold water could help. The body has to convert the cold water you drank to normal body temperature and in the process you will be utilizing calories. and thus making you lose some without being aware of it. I am not sure though if that is really happening

8. mooray

mooray New Member

I have the same thing somewhere else but right now i'm not looking to lose weight. I'm on a mission to gain some muscles and tone my body.

9. strava4days

strava4days New Member

so just some other stuff that might help
    ( nutrition cn be controversial so please feel free to ignore this post) :)

1. calorie isn't a calorie, if you eat 500 calories from fruit or rice that isn't the same as 500 calories from donuts or kfc, it's what you eat, not how much.

2. having fruit for breakfast can raise your metabolism significantly.

3. what time you eat is important, sumo wrestlers usually have breakfast later in the day, and have dinner very late at night, so if you want to look like a sumo wrestler do that, otherwise it's best to have a large breakfast early in the morning with water, than have dinner in the afternoon/evening.

4.sleep is also important, as the less you sleep the lower your hormones are going to be, you could literally stay up all night and then get a script filled for testosterone replacement therapy the next day if you are a male.

5. kind of obvious one but avoid fatty foods as they lower your rbc, which means that you get less oxygen to your muscles, which means you burn less fat, and also the fat you eat is the fat you wear.

6.ride you bike

10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Those are great tips, but keep in mind that different folks have different metabolisms. For example, I've got a moderately good metabolism and I can lose weight easily even if I chow down on junk food. My brother in-law has an amazing metabolism and he never gains weight, regardless of what he eats.

11. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

What you eat is important, but fruit on it's own is out for a diabetic. Fruit is full of fructose, which is very easily and very rapidly metabolized into glucose. This translates into an almost immediate spike in blood glucose levels. For diabetics this is an issue because it has to be medicated to bring it down.

I prefer a preventative approach rather than constantly adding insulin for sugar spikes I take the right amount before a meal to keep my blood sugar in range. The most important part of this is not eating in a way that causes sugar spikes to begin with. Sugar loading and hitting it with insulin is not a healthy approach. It raises the a1c and messes with potassium and sometimes sodium levels in the body.

Because of all of the factors I mentioned I eat an appropriate amount of fruit for my carb/sugar intake needs paired with a protein to slow metabolism of the fructose. I do this after taking a reasonable insulin dosage based on what I'm about to eat.

Because fruits are often high in fructose, and fructose is the sugar of choice in most junk foods and sweets due to it's low cost a calorie is a calorie in comparison. The difference being is the fruit usually provides added nutritional and fiber benefits that you wont find in a donuts. The moral of the story is, eat the fruit with a protein instead of alone, don't over do it with the fruit, and forget the doughnut.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I don't think people have to entirely 'forget the doughnut' as you put it, and there's an expression that I little of what you fancy does you good.

While I think we are all well aware of what foods and what sort of training regimes we need, it's also important to not go too far aswell.

Jcycle likes this.
  13. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Even I go for the doughnut sometimes. The key being sometimes, not daily, and one doughnut not two or three. Diabetics can eat normal food. The idea that they can't have sweets is a myth. We just have to eat food in the right portions and combinations. If everybody did this they would be a lot healthier.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. cyclenthusias44

Amazing tips. I am an overweight guy and I want to loose my weight. Thanks for posting these wonderful tips.

15. cyclenthusias44

Is exercise necessary while dieting? Is it recommended?

16. cyclenthusias44

Thanks fo
    Thanks for the link. I learned a lot. We should not drink too much water.

17. moneyman

moneyman Member

Good thread since I am myself trying to lose some weight. However the basic idea of losing weight is in conclusion to eat less calories than you are able to consume.

18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Thanks but I think I'll stick to the good old "decrease food intake" and exercise. It has worked so far for me, so why fix what isn't broken, am I right? I have lost about 12 kg in 2 months by gradually decreasing my food intake all the while gradually increasing time on my stationary bike. I feel great, and I honestly am saving money just from the price of food that I no longer indulge myself in.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

I think that dieting is only ever a short term solution if you plan to go back to your old eating habits, to be honest. The real trick is trying to change things about the way you eat in the long term, so that you learn a lot of lessons about nutrition and how to make food in a healthy way. This is how you will lose weight and keep it off in the long term, as you have to make changes that you keep up for more than just a short period of time.

20. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

My biggest weakness has always been having a good, hearty breakfast. It can be hard to eat well in the morning especially if you are a busy man and and are always on the go. You just have to sit back one of these times and relax enjoying the food and time.