TIPS: West Coast + Mexico

erikmi

Aug 2, 2006
Anyone ever biked across the US west Coast to MExico, then the Baja and Central America? Does anyone have any tips? I have the Lonely Planet Cycling the US PAcific guide. I was also told that in Mexico I would need some strong kevlar puncture resistant tires because apparently there are many cactus spikes on the roads. Let me know what you think/ your experiences.

cheers, e.

erikmi said:
Anyone ever biked across the US west Coast to MExico, then the Baja and Central America? Does anyone have any tips? I have the Lonely Planet Cycling the US PAcific guide. I was also told that in Mexico I would need some strong kevlar puncture resistant tires because apparently there are many cactus spikes on the roads. Let me know what you think/ your experiences.

cheers, e.
Years ago there was some guy who did that from Alaska all the way south to Tierra del Fuego. I am sure there is a book on the subject. I do not remember his name or the book. You could probably get some info on it from the WWW.

I have toyed with the idea of doing that myself at least through Mexico and down to Panama City.

As for cycling the west coast of the US there is plenty on that. Google author Donna Ikenberry for starts. I think I am sure I have spelled the name correctly.

Google Bicycling the Pacific Coast. Google The Pacific Coast Bicycle Route.

You may get more info than you can handle. Mainly the US pacific coast is Highway One and Highway 101. I did it just fine with road maps and no previous research. It is a really great ride.

Part of the fun is seing everything for the first time. However, if you have already passed thru Mexico in an auto on the mainland and then also thru Baja California, then maybe you'll agree that B.C. is much more pleasant as to weather, scenery, friendliness of the residents, and population density (B.C. in places there's nary a soul for miles). God it's beautiful and rustic, especially the spooky forests of boojum cactus at dusk, even as you cycle along the main N.-S. highway (that main highway is a good, not to say excellent paved road, has potholes). We went in cool March, best time to travel is early evenings very little traffic between towns and cooler. Beaches, deep sea fishing.

We carried "chlorine" tablets, (should have had a filter). Sun was intense. Products hecho en Mexico are good quality, except for their suntan lotion , would advise packing in lots of your own. The food was excellent everywhere, Eve said she liked it too, from restaurants, cafeterias, and local taco stands.

AAA had good maps, reliable lodging dining guides, and info on legal papers needed for foreign tourists. We were not campers, except once by emergency, IOW via credit card.