Tips with setting up clipless?

BikerM

Apr 16, 2011
I finally took the chance and when with clipless! Got myself a Shimano PD-M540 STD and a pair of Sidi MTB shoe. To my present surprise, is not as hard as I originally thought! Of course I try it on my cheaper bike before using it on my Madone :) Just in case I crash....

The cleat itself, how do I adjust it to maximize my power to the crank?

Well, first off, it is usually best to have the cleat setup where the pedal spindle is a little behind the ball of your foot. On another note, you really want road specific shoes for your road bike. Mountain shoes have a small amount of flex in them for walkability off the bike and for added suspension benefit. Road shoes are much more rigid for maximum pedaling efficiency and support for longer pedaling. I was using th same pedals as you and using a commuter type shoe for its walkability. I recently bought a pair of Sidi road shoes and it made a world of difference. Just something to consider.

yea if you use a MTB shoe and switch over to the Road Specific Shoes.. you will noticed the power transfer and.. you will also ur more efficient in pedaling.. Clipless all the way.. LOOK Keo Pedals are the ones i run with now and thier great.. if ur starting out maybe the SpeedPlay pedals may be a little easiter than the Keo..

Best of luck