Tire Advice 20" (406)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Avgrin, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avgrin

Avgrin Guest

B"H Is anyone familiar with Odyssey's Groundworks (20x1.85) and Maxxis' Hookworm (20x1.95)? Which
    one is more reliable and durable? How many miles should a 200 lb rider with 40 lb bike and 40 lb of
    equipment expect -- minimum flats -- on these tires? Lets assume, that the roads are mostly decent
    blacktop. Thank you, Victor

Tags:

2. Don

Don Guest

Victor, I only have experience with the 305 x 1.95 Hookworm. I assume it is similar to the 406 X
    1.95. The tire is extremely tough and damn near bullet proof. I am not sure why you are worrying
    about mileage longevity between the two. There are more important considerations if they have
    similar durabilities.

The Hookworm I had was run at the rated 100psi. Ever over inflate a basketball and then bounce it?
    The Hookworm was very rough riding. Also, because of its round profile I found that it squirmed on
    the road and did not track well. I am talking about it on the front of a two wheeler not a trike. I
    replaced the fork and wheel with a 349 Schwalbe and it rides ever so much smoother and straighter.

That said, the Hookworm should be a good tire for a heavy load if you do not mind the rough ride.

3. Pablo1516

Pablo1516 Guest

I have a RANS Vivo and have been using Hookworms for w/o any problems for 3 years. During the summer
    I take my bike on forest service roads and find them stable and flat free. This last year I bought a
    comp pool (rear) & primo comet (front)for longer rides on the road, they seem a little faster than
    the Hookworms; although they are to unstable on the dirt forest service roads.

By the way I pump up the Hookworms to 110 psi and they roll right along.

Take care. paul s. - RANS 2001 Vivo

> B"H Is anyone familiar with Odyssey's Groundworks (20x1.85) and Maxxis' Hookworm (20x1.95)? Which
    > one is more reliable and durable? How many miles should a 200 lb rider with 40 lb bike and 40 lb
    > of equipment expect -- minimum flats -- on these tires? Lets assume, that the roads are mostly
    > decent blacktop. Thank you, Victor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.