Tire Advice 20" (406)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Avgrin

B"H Is anyone familiar with Odyssey's Groundworks (20x1.85) and Maxxis' Hookworm (20x1.95)? Which
one is more reliable and durable? How many miles should a 200 lb rider with 40 lb bike and 40 lb of
equipment expect -- minimum flats -- on these tires? Lets assume, that the roads are mostly decent
blacktop. Thank you, Victor

Victor, I only have experience with the 305 x 1.95 Hookworm. I assume it is similar to the 406 X
1.95. The tire is extremely tough and damn near bullet proof. I am not sure why you are worrying
about mileage longevity between the two. There are more important considerations if they have
similar durabilities.

The Hookworm I had was run at the rated 100psi. Ever over inflate a basketball and then bounce it?
The Hookworm was very rough riding. Also, because of its round profile I found that it squirmed on
the road and did not track well. I am talking about it on the front of a two wheeler not a trike. I
replaced the fork and wheel with a 349 Schwalbe and it rides ever so much smoother and straighter.

That said, the Hookworm should be a good tire for a heavy load if you do not mind the rough ride.

I have a RANS Vivo and have been using Hookworms for w/o any problems for 3 years. During the summer
I take my bike on forest service roads and find them stable and flat free. This last year I bought a
comp pool (rear) & primo comet (front)for longer rides on the road, they seem a little faster than
the Hookworms; although they are to unstable on the dirt forest service roads.

By the way I pump up the Hookworms to 110 psi and they roll right along.

Take care. paul s. - RANS 2001 Vivo

> B"H Is anyone familiar with Odyssey's Groundworks (20x1.85) and Maxxis' Hookworm (20x1.95)? Which
> one is more reliable and durable? How many miles should a 200 lb rider with 40 lb bike and 40 lb
> of equipment expect -- minimum flats -- on these tires? Lets assume, that the roads are mostly
> decent blacktop. Thank you, Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.