Tire Advice Sought

hokiebiker93

Dec 28, 2005
Hi, I'm a rather large guy riding a road bike. 6'4", 230lbs. My question has to do with the size of my bikes tires. I currently use 700x23 tires and am thinking about go with 700x25. Is there anyone who's successfully done this? What are the pros and cons? I'm thinking that the extra size might give me a bit more comfort but might steal precious speed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx,
Hokiebiker93

hokiebiker93 said:
Hi, I'm a rather large guy riding a road bike. 6'4", 230lbs. My question has to do with the size of my bikes tires. I currently use 700x23 tires and am thinking about go with 700x25. Is there anyone who's successfully done this? What are the pros and cons? I'm thinking that the extra size might give me a bit more comfort but might steal precious speed.

Thx,
Hokiebiker93

I am not as big as you, but for my winter commuting I am using 25mm wide tires and notice very little difference in speed or rolling resistance, or comfort for that matter when run at higher PSI (115-120). They do feel a bit more stable though on wet pavement when I run them them a little lower PSI (95-100) and they are more comfortable. I would feel less confident in running the narrower tire with low PSI for fear of more pinch flats, of which I have had none with the 700X 25.

hokiebiker93 said:

Thx,
Hokiebiker93
Avocet FasGrip Duro 28-622 700 x 28 (TRA27)
$24.95
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1619&Catalog=39&sort=Price
These are 28 mm wide, but they are absolutely smooth and have extremely low rolling resistance due to the flexibility of the tire. You can run them at 95 PSI to get a great ride and still have adequate pinch flat protection.
My rider weight + touring load is ~230 lbs. I use these tires with very good results in all kinds of riding applications. These tires are not made any longer. The Carbon 12 Avocet tires that replace them may wear a little longer, but it is at the expense of higher rolling resistance due to the carbon.

If anything the 25's will probably be a teeny, tiny bit faster. Slightly wider tires will have a shorter contact patch which will require less tire flexing and consequently less rolling resistance.