Tire Advice

Cobrabitn

Apr 25, 2011
I'm not sure how picky these forums are so if I am not following proper protocol, please let me know. I have a 1985 World Sport with the Schwinn HP sport 27 inch by 1.25 tires. The bicycle is all original from the tires to the seat and I am the original owner. I don't really know a whole lot about bikes since I am just a novice and I got the bike as a gift. My question is the tires, I've Googled to find replacement tires and with the bike being 26 years old, I cannot find anyone who sells the original type tires. What would be a good replacement road tire for the bike? I don't ride it every week, just every now and then, but that could change to at least once a week if I made more time for cycling. The purpose of getting back into riding is to lose weight. =0)

You don't need or necessarily want original replacement tires for your bike. Tires are consumables and you can replace your worn tires with a newer tire as long as it fits your rims. Shop for a 27" (not 700c) road tire in something similar to your existing one and quarter inch width but you can go narrower or a bit wider if you like. Local bike shops should carry a variety of replacement tires or you can find them on line by Googling '27" tires' and getting hits like this: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires

If you have a lot of roadside debris to deal with or things like goathead thorns common in arid climates then it's often worth the extra cash for a puncture resistant tire like the Gatorskins on that page but realistically all of the tires listed there are pretty solid and good for day in and day out riding on less than perfect roads.

If you're not sure what to buy and don't know how to change a bicycle tire then definitely buy locally so you can have them swap your tires and teach you how it's done as well as sell you the appropriate roadside repair kit and tools as sooner or later you'll have a flat while out riding. It would also be a very good idea to have your local shop give your vintage bike a once over safety check and perhaps a tune up to make sure things like brakes and brake cables are safe and well adjusted, the chain is in decent shape, get the shifting operating properly, etc.

Good luck,
-Dave

Dave, thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated. I'm very mechanically inclined so no problem there. I just thought if they still carried the same tire, I would get a couple but no biggie. I'll definitely take your advice and get an extra tube in case of getting a flat.