Tire and rim size, 19 mm rim + 47 mm tire

Risto Varanka

Guest
Hmm can you mount 47 mm (47-406) tires on 19 mm rims? Think they'd hang over the edge some 15 mm, is
that too much? How about 28 mm?

What kind of effects do you get when you go too extreme? The tire/tube breaks?

[email protected] says...
> Hmm can you mount 47 mm (47-406) tires on 19 mm rims? Think they'd hang over the edge some 15 mm,
> is that too much? How about 28 mm?
>
> What kind of effects do you get when you go too extreme? The tire/tube breaks?

Did you check Sheldon Brown? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

Or Sheldon's source at the tandem-fahren.de - Homepage
http://tandem-fahren.de/Technik/Reifentips/REIFEN.HTM#ETRTO According to this chart 47mm is (maybe)
a tad too wide for 19mm rims

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
: Did you check Sheldon Brown? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

: Or Sheldon's source at the tandem-fahren.de - Homepage
: http://tandem-fahren.de/Technik/Reifentips/REIFEN.HTM#ETRTO According to this chart 47mm is
: (maybe) a tad too wide for 19mm rims

I did now, thanks. Helpful... I guess everything depends on everything as always. Is there any
difference from rim diameter... at least the tires would be of different shape :-/

And how about a trike with a low-weight (yeah sure) rider? And riding style... could mean things
like this are far less critical.

Then again if you have particular tire size in mind, why not get perfectly fitting rims...