Tire blowout quick fix?

Guaps

Aug 14, 2006
I was riding a century not too long ago on a set of tires that were old. (I know I'm stupid). About 10 miles from the end my tire blowout and opened up an inch long hold in the tire. I shoved some duct tape and a used gu packet in there to get me to the finish line. Unfortunately, that didn't work for long. I ended up riding the last 6 miles on a flat tire.

Since then, I've had a couple people tell me they carry a peice of plastic or kevlar around with them for such occasions. First of all, what's a patch like that called? (a patch to temporarily fix a hole in a tire) Someone had a name for it, but I can't remember. Second, where do you buy small pieces of kevlar like that?

Thanks!

One inch is a pretty big gap. Most times you can get away with a gu wrapper or even a dollar bill.

capwater said:
One inch is a pretty big gap. Most times you can get away with a gu wrapper or even a dollar bill.
did I mention they were really old tires and I'm really stupid sometimes?

Take a spare old tyre, cut off the bead, cut them into sections approximately 2-3 inches long and take them with you. You can use them to fix cuts. Might be the best use for your existing tyres:p

Don't feel so dumb I did it to a brand new tire on a 93 mile (96 cause I got lost) ride. I used some rema tube patches to keep the tube from bulging through and rode on 75 psi slowly for twenty miles. I was going to take a spare folding tire when I started but I was low on space and I figured what's the chance of it happening again. I looked away from the road for a second and ran over a nasty peice of rusty chromed steel from who knows what... I think I'll buy some Armadillo tires next spring.

May seem like an odd place to get it, and there may be none in your area, but most sailmakers would have self adhesive kevlar.
I am going to start carring some myself because of a tire blowout last week.I am also lucky enough to work as a sailmaker:)

Martynb said:
May seem like an odd place to get it, and there may be none in your area, but most sailmakers would have self adhesive kevlar.
I am going to start carring some myself because of a tire blowout last week.I am also lucky enough to work as a sailmaker:)

Sure, that'll work fine. An easier, probably cheaper solution is to buy a Tyvek envelope, cut into appropriately sized pieces, and stash said pieces in yer seatbag, shirt pocket, or armpit.

These are great ideas. Thanks everyone. I live in San Diego, so there's got to be a sail shop around here somewhere.

Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to work in a office cubicle, so I have easy access to Tyvek envelopes. :D (I think I'd rather have Martynb's job)

Reading some other posts I found the name I was looking for. It's called a boot. Not that it matters, but it was bothering me I couldn't remember the name...

Guaps said:
These are great ideas. Thanks everyone. I live in San Diego, so there's got to be a sail shop around here somewhere.

Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to work in a office cubicle, so I have easy access to Tyvek envelopes. :D (I think I'd rather have Martynb's job)

Reading some other posts I found the name I was looking for. It's called a boot. Not that it matters, but it was bothering me I couldn't remember the name...
Tyvek patches sound like the thing to carry. I've used a dollar bill as a boot a couple of times with success too.

Amen to this technique. It even work on sidewall blow outs.

I would advise at least 3 inches for the tread piece.

DoseDependent

http://www.alvinstewart.com/2008/bike.php

xxamr_corpxx said:
Take a spare old tyre, cut off the bead, cut them into sections approximately 2-3 inches long and take them with you. You can use them to fix cuts. Might be the best use for your existing tyres:p

Guaps said:
I was riding a century not too long ago on a set of tires that were old. (I know I'm stupid). About 10 miles from the end my tire blowout and opened up an inch long hold in the tire. I shoved some duct tape and a used gu packet in there to get me to the finish line. Unfortunately, that didn't work for long. I ended up riding the last 6 miles on a flat tire.

Since then, I've had a couple people tell me they carry a peice of plastic or kevlar around with them for such occasions. First of all, what's a patch like that called? (a patch to temporarily fix a hole in a tire) Someone had a name for it, but I can't remember. Second, where do you buy small pieces of kevlar like that?

Thanks!
I carry a couple of pieces cut out of a plastic milk jug, and a little duct tape. Have also carried pieces of old tires, but the milk jug thing has worked well when I helped other less forunate souls try to get home :)

dhk2 said:
Tyvek patches sound like the thing to carry. I've used a dollar bill as a boot a couple of times with success too.
You beat me to it. I've used the dollar before with success. I generally have them on me no matter what anyway.

xxamr_corpxx said:

I had thought of doing that with an old tube.

Any thoughts on which works better, the greater flexibility of the tube or the greater strength of the tire?

meb said:
I had thought of doing that with an old tube.

Any thoughts on which works better, the greater flexibility of the tube or the greater strength of the tire?
I'd trust the greater stiffness of the tyre over the tube.

Some say you can get home by stuffing the tire with grass but I have never tried it.

I think you want something which won't stretch for a patch.