Feb 19, 2007
Hi

What should I do about this bulge?

Is it OK to ride the bike like this?

Thanks

DSCN3710s-1.jpg

DSCN3711s-1.jpg

DSCN3712s.jpg

The tire may not be seated properly. Deflate the tire and check that the bead of the tire at that spot is seated properly around the lip of the rim.

If it is seated properly and is still doing that, I would replace that tire ASAP. You may want to wear hearing protection while you pump it back up to pressure after you check the seating.

Don't ride on that thing if you value having skin.

I would not recommend riding on that tire. The cords which form the casing have been cut and the tire will blow out at some point.

At least it's a rear tire, not a front. If/when it goes, you'll have some semblence of control.

hope this helps
cdr

I wouldn't ride on that tire if I didn't have to....it's a pretty cheap fix and the peace of mind would be worth it IMO.

malkovich656745 said:
Hi

What should I do about this bulge?

Is it OK to ride the bike like this?

Thanks

DSCN3710s-1.jpg

DSCN3711s-1.jpg

DSCN3712s.jpg
Deflate and reinflate using a hand pump, several times if neccessary. While the tyre is partially inflated bounce it on the ground at several points around the diameter of the wheel and continue to bounce it as you gradually reinflate it, to help seat the bead. It's happened to me several times and in each case I believe it was caused by using service station compressors to inflate, and maybe a little variance in the manufacturing tolerances. It's never cost me a tyre though.

It looks to me like you may only have the inner tube caught under the bead. If it was my bike the first thing that I would do would be to try removing and reseating the tire to see if that will fix it.

If you've already done that then my assumption is that you have some cut tire cords. If that's the case, this would be a good time to minimize your losses by replaceing the tire. If you don't it's sure to blow out at some point, probably when you're around 20 miles from your car - and you'll still have to buy that same replacement tire.

My vote, tube pinched under the bead, tyre may be over inflated too, don't ride. :eek:

Remove the tyre and tube and inspect for damage, inflate the tube off the wheel by hand and check for a bubble.

Re install, more carefully. ;)

hey matey,

i wouldnt ride it. and i think its prolly not fitted well, if that's the case, get it fixed (duh) or if that doesnt work, get a new tube.

:D

I had a tyre do exactly the same as that after fixing a flat and didn't notice until I was out on a ride. When I got home again I let it down and made sure it was seated properly then pumped it up again and no problems. Your tyre doesn't look damaged just let it down, jiggle it about a bit and pump up again.

The tyre looked brand new. One really has to consider incorrect mounting before product defect.

sogood said:
The tyre looked brand new. One really has to consider incorrect mounting before product defect.
Specially the first pic, incorrect mounting will not yield a bulge that way. Also if there is something underneath it would deform the inner tube and not the tire.

It looks like its not seated and/or the tube is pinched.

It may be a faulty tyre, all brands have failures. If it doesn't respond to the advice of the other posters, then its faulty - take it back and they will exchange it. They send it back to the manufacturer, so its no prob to them.

hd reynolds said:
Specially the first pic, incorrect mounting will not yield a bulge that way. Also if there is something underneath it would deform the inner tube and not the tire.
I've had a bulge worse than that with dirt tyres...much worse (I pumped it up using a service station air hose).I actually rode it home before I noticed it but it came good after the deflate/reinflate process. I did have to do it several times to get it right.
I've been wondering ever since if it may have been caused by using 1.75 tube on a 1.5 tyre.
In any case I would be deflating, reseating and reinflating first. Cheaper than buying a new tyre!
I think Sheldon says somewhere on his site that tyres can vary in size...possibly the tyre is a little larger than the rim. I also noticed that the tyres that bulged tended to go on and off pretty easily.

New tyre. Or new tube. Try tube first, seat it properly, inflate slowly and if it still bulges it is a ply problem.

Agree it's likely a bad tire. But before throwing it out, I'd try to remount it. Put in about 20 psi, roll the tire on the ground with some weight on it to ensure seating, then check for even seating of the bead all the way round on both sides before inflating to correct pressure (not exceeding max sidewall rating of course). If it's still not right, it's new tire time.

try to reinflate the tire after you deflate and reseat the tire if that does not work i would end up replacing the tire.