tire came off rim during ride

bobr2013

Aug 29, 2013
Trek 1000, Titan Matrix rims, Michelin Pro 3 tires. Rear wheel, tube installed over 1000 miles ago. Not a blow out, just came off rim, riding on flat road at approx. 15 mph. Though I replaced the tube, the one I was riding with still holds air.

Two or three rides prior to this, I started to notice a "creaking" noise, from the rear of the bike, while I was riding the max speed that I can ride, and also when riding up hill (in other words, when the bike is under some stress). The creaking noise persists even while free wheeling at high speeds, and down hill.

My wife, riding behind me, insists that I hit a rock, which is entirely possible, but I swear I didn't see, or feel like I hit anything.

I've been a bit cautious lately, and concerned I might have an issue riding down hill at higher speeds.

So, do you think this was just a fluke? Should I be concerned? Any advice about the creaking noise?

thx,
Bob R

What do you weigh and to what pressure do you inflate your tires? What make, model, and size tires do you have?

correction Michelin Pro 3 service course tire. standard size for a road bike - 700 x 23

Doesnt sound normal...

Are these kevlar bead tires? Maybe the bead broke and allowed the tire to go over the rim whilst turning?

Originally Posted by bobr2013 .

correction Michelin Pro 3 service course tire. standard size for a road bike - 700 x 23
What is the bead-to-bead size of those Matrix Titan rims?

• if the rims have a label, the information is often on the label (e.g., 622x17) otherwise measure the distance BETWEEN the beads to ascertain the information

Michelin Pro 3 Service Course and Pro 4 Service Course fit very tightly on three brands of rims I use. Even well worn 3's/4's require tire levers to remove and sometimes to install.

How did those 3's fit up on your Matrix Titan rims? If you rode 1000 miles on that tire without a problem I can not see your problem being an improper beat seat installation. Maybe your wife is correct (yeah...slim odds!
big-smile.png
) and a rock got that 'golden bullet' shot in, but in all the years I've used clincher tires I've never had that happen.

I have seen tires dismounted by pothole impact. I would think a rock causing a dismount is possible, but surely it would have been a significant enough impact that you would have felt it and remember it.

What is the condition of your rims? I'd inspect closely for evidence of cracking at the base of the sidewalls, as well as spreading of the sidewalls which would open up that bead-to-bead dimension. Braking thins the sidewalls of the rims, weakening them and potentially allowing them to spread outwards. The sidewalls are subject to a lot of bending force when a clincher tire is mounted and fully inflated.

Some rims have wear indicators built in, ie, a groove or holes around the face of the sidewalls. When the sidewalls no longer show these, the rim is supposed to be replaced, to avoid what you experienced.