Tire choices for a trike

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Hel-Bent, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Folks,

    After reviewing available tires in the ERTO 406 size, I have narrowed my selections based primarily
    on rolling resistance, weight and availablity (USA).

    For sport and light touring: ERTO 406 Primo Comet 1.35 wide (I haven't decided whether to go with
    the Kevlar version yet)

    For sport only: ERTO 406 Schwalbe Stelvio 20”x1-1/8”

    Does anyone have experiences they can share about these tires?

    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    Tags:

  2. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Hel-bent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Folks,
    >
    > After reviewing available tires in the ERTO 406 size, I have narrowed my selections based
    > primarily on rolling resistance, weight and availablity (USA).
    >
    > For sport and light touring: ERTO 406 Primo Comet 1.35 wide (I haven't decided whether to go with
    > the Kevlar version yet)
    >
    > For sport only: ERTO 406 Schwalbe Stelvio 20?x1-1/8?
    >
    > Does anyone have experiences they can share about these tires?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    My experience is not on a trike. I run the Stelvios on my single recumbent. I had previously used
    Conti Grand Prixs and found them to be fast, solid and bulletproof but harsh riding. The Stelvios
    are as fast but with a more compliant ride. I was concerned about their being flat prone like the
    Primos I used to have. I have just completed 1200 miles with no flats (knock on wood). But I'm
    curious, why not consider Comp Pools for the trike? Rolling resistance wise they are very close to
    the Stelvios, provide a much wider tire which I think would fit better with a trike (I defer to your
    expertise on this) and would seem to be able to handle the cornering stresses that a three wheel
    vehicle would produce.

    Anything with the word Primo on it I shy away from because of my experience with flats (three in 800
    miles). I know others haven't had that experience but I don't find them to be very tough tires,
    although they do seem fairly quick.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  3. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Mike,

    I gave the Comp Pools much consideration. They have excellent traction and rolling resistance.
    However, they are heavy. Perhaps if I considered a heavy touring trike, the comp pool would
    certainly fit the requirements. I also considered the Conti Grand Prix, but I heard many good things
    about the Schwalbe Stelvio. However, I did run across a few caveats concerning the reliability of
    these tires also.

    As for the Primo Comets, they look really cool, but I'll probably choose the Kevlar belting for
    better reliability.

    I also need a good ERTO 518 tire. However, the only one that appears to be prolific is the
    PanRacer 1 1/8".

    One issue I noticed about auto manufacturers, is that they normally (sans Ford with Firestone) equip
    them with the best tires. Having a trike selling in the $3,000 + range, I certainly want to
    complement it with tires that represent the overall value of the product. However, being a US
    manufacturer, I may not have the selection widely available as my European counterparts. With this
    said, I am also weighing my decision on easy availability.

    Regards,

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    news:[email protected]...