Tire for trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>Has anybody tried Hutchinson CarbonComp for trainer?

Just get the cheapest tire you can find that fits. Trainers eat tires, so getting the cheapest tire
makes sense.
------------
Alex

Why bother with a expensive road tire. Get the cheapest slick tire that you could find. If the tire
has ridges on it will cause more noise than is necessary Rollers don't eat tires as quickly as
trainers, but the noise from the ridges on tires is eliminated with slick tread tires. "CyclingFan"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anybody tried Hutchinson CarbonComp for trainer?

BudMan wrote:
>
> Why bother with a expensive road tire. Get the cheapest slick tire that you could find. If the
> tire has ridges on it will cause more noise than is necessary Rollers don't eat tires as quickly
> as trainers, but the noise from the ridges on tires is eliminated with slick tread tires.
> "CyclingFan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anybody tried Hutchinson CarbonComp for trainer?
> >
> >

I personally never understood the "trainers eat tires" opinion. My experience of this is the
opposite: After some 2200K (not that much but still) on the trainer, my tire (Nokian I
beleive) shows almost no sign of wear at all. I don't know the mileage it takes to wear a tire
down on a trainer.

regards tuben

I am ready to replace my trainer rear tire. It is a Michelin HiComp, 23c. I have gotten two winters
out of it. I seem to put on about 700 miles worth of trainer workouts each year. I really don't know
if 1,400 +- miles on a trainer is about right for a tire or not. How much do other people ride? I
don't have a clue here....

Bruce

"Corey Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Göran Thyberg <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > BudMan wrote:
> > >
> > > Why bother with a expensive road tire. Get the cheapest slick tire
that you
> > > could find. If the tire has ridges on it will cause more noise than
is
> > > necessary Rollers don't eat tires as quickly as trainers, but the
noise
> > > from the ridges on tires is eliminated with slick tread tires. "CyclingFan"
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > Has anybody tried Hutchinson CarbonComp for trainer?
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> > I personally never understood the "trainers eat tires" opinion. My experience of this is the
> > opposite: After some 2200K (not that much but still) on the trainer, my tire (Nokian I beleive)
> > shows almost no sign of wear at all. I don't know the mileage it takes to wear a tire down on a
> > trainer.
> >
> > regards tuben
>
> Depends on the trainer/tire mix. My old trainer (Blackburn Fan) went through tires pretty quickly.
> Never heard the tread since the fan sounded like a vacuum. My new trainer (Kurt Kinetic) doesn't
> wear them down like the old. It also has a larger roller on it and is much smoother to the touch.
>
> Still I have not invested anything in a trainer tire as there is no need for expensive
> "performance" features when you are "riding in place". I usually just use an old tire that I
> retired from riding outdoors.
>
> Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.