Tire Gluing Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mm, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Mm

    Mm Guest

    I just glued new Conti Sprinter 250's to brand new Mavic Reflex rims using one tube of Hutchinson
    glue per tire/rim combo.

    I followed the basic (abbreviated) guidelines:

    -stretch tire -thin coating of glue on rim -thin coating of glue on basetape -one more coating of
    glue on rim -let tack up -wrestle tire onto rim -let tire set up overnight

    My question is this: Is there any surefire way to know if you have adequately glued the tire to the
    rim before you ride it (and find out the hard way!). In other words: Any tips or hints as to
    assessing a properly glued tire?

    Thanks in advance-

    mm

    Tags:

  2. I'm not an expert, but if you deflate the tyre, you should be able to pull at it with significant
    force and not have it budge. I recently had to change a Conti sprinter and it took all my puny
    strength to get it off the rim. I'd recommend more than one thin coat on the tyre before gluing,
    however. There was a paper published a while back (I lost the reference, I'm afraid, but someone on
    r.b.t. will know it.) that thoroughly investigated tubular gluing. It clearly showed the benefits of
    several glue applications to the tyre.

    Nigel Grinter

    [email protected] (mm) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just glued new Conti Sprinter 250's to brand new Mavic Reflex rims using one tube of Hutchinson
    > glue per tire/rim combo.
    >
    > I followed the basic (abbreviated) guidelines:
    >
    > -stretch tire -thin coating of glue on rim -thin coating of glue on basetape -one more coating of
    > glue on rim -let tack up -wrestle tire onto rim -let tire set up overnight
    >
    > My question is this: Is there any surefire way to know if you have adequately glued the tire to
    > the rim before you ride it (and find out the hard way!). In other words: Any tips or hints as to
    > assessing a properly glued tire?
    >
    > Thanks in advance-
    >
    > mm

  3. MM-<< I just glued new Conti Sprinter 250's to brand new Mavic Reflex rims using one tube of
    Hutchinson glue per tire/rim combo.
    >><BR><BR>
    << Is there any surefire way to know if you have adequately glued the tire to the rim before you
    ride it (and find out the hard way!).

    If you can place your thumbs against the tire and easily push/peal it off, it's not glued on well
    enough. If you can't-go ride-