Tire info wanted

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Hi All,

    I just changed my Speed Machine Clone to a 26" rear wheel with a Primo Comet 26x 1.50 tire. (from
    700/20C). It looks good ands seems to be just a bit faster. (don't all changes have a placebo
    effect, though???)

    Nashbar has the Hutchinson Top Slick on sale in 26x 1.2 and 26x 1.2 sizes. It looks treadless and
    they "say" it's fast. No one ever mentions it here in this group.

    Jude or Zack: any opinion??

    I love deals, but hate bad deals.

    TIA,

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just changed my Speed Machine Clone to a 26" rear wheel with a Primo Comet 26x 1.50 tire. (from
    > 700/20C). It looks good ands seems to be just a bit faster. (don't all changes have a placebo
    > effect, though???)
    >
    > Nashbar has the Hutchinson Top Slick on sale in 26x 1.2 and 26x 1.2 sizes. It looks treadless and
    > they "say" it's fast. No one ever mentions it here in this group.

    Here is one 'feature' that would give me serious doubts to this tire's quality: "66 TPI casing"

    Schwalbe Stelvios (IMO merely a so so tire) used to have listed on their web site a TPI of somewhere
    between 100 & 125 or perhaps even greater.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Pardon me for my stupidity but, what is TPI? is it Threads Per Inch? is this the quality of
    the belting?

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I just changed my Speed Machine Clone to a 26" rear wheel with a Primo
    Comet
    > > 26x 1.50 tire. (from 700/20C). It looks good ands seems to be just a bit faster. (don't all
    > > changes have a placebo effect, though???)
    > >
    > > Nashbar has the Hutchinson Top Slick on sale in 26x 1.2 and 26x 1.2
    sizes.
    > > It looks treadless and they "say" it's fast. No one ever mentions it
    here in
    > > this group.
    >
    > Here is one 'feature' that would give me serious doubts to this tire's quality: "66 TPI casing"
    >
    > Schwalbe Stelvios (IMO merely a so so tire) used to have listed on their web site a TPI of
    > somewhere between 100 & 125 or perhaps even greater.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. In article <[email protected]>, hell- [email protected] says...
    > Pardon me for my stupidity but, what is TPI? is it Threads Per Inch? is this the quality of the
    > belting?

    That is how I interpret it.

    > > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    > > - Bellaire, TX USA -

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Tom Blum wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just changed my Speed Machine Clone to a 26" rear wheel with a Primo Comet 26x 1.50 tire. (from
    > 700/20C). It looks good ands seems to be just a bit faster. (don't all changes have a placebo
    > effect, though???)
    >
    > Nashbar has the Hutchinson Top Slick on sale in 26x 1.2 and 26x 1.2 sizes. It looks treadless and
    > they "say" it's fast. No one ever mentions it here in this group.
    >
    > Jude or Zack: any opinion??
    >
    > I love deals, but hate bad deals.

    I got two of them from Gnashbar. Specifics: They are a slick in the center, with herringbone
    shoulders, and are blackwalls. I have the
    26x1.2 size and they are marked "recommended pressure 3.5 bars (50
    psi) Max. pressure 6.4 bars (90 psi)" I don't have a good scale to weight them on, but the unmounted
    one feels slightly lighter than a Vredestein 26x1.3 S-Lick.

    They look OK, in fact I got ones with the yellow shoulders, and they look pretty cool. But I'm not
    deluding my self into thinking they're particularly great in the performance department. I am using
    them as training tires. Better than tearing up a Stelvio on the mag trainer. For that purpose, it
    (the currently mounted one) seems to be doing very well.

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Here is one 'feature' that would give me serious doubts to this tire's quality: "66 TPI casing"
    >
    > Schwalbe Stelvios (IMO merely a so so tire) used to have listed on their web site a TPI of
    > somewhere between 100 & 125 or perhaps even greater.

    Since the TPI issue was raised by me I have been trying to determine the TPI of the various casings.
    I remember 100 -150 from an older Schwalbe website. As best I can determine from the German site and
    the NA site Schwalbe uses a term EPI (Ends per Inch) These numbers suggest the Stelvio (67 EPI) is
    at least on par with the Nashbar Special.

    Perhaps I was somewhat optimistic in remembering the Stelvios at a TPI of well over
    100.

    Conti GP is listed on conti's website as 285TPI. I have had good service from the Conti GP that I
    had on my Voyager.

    I have not been that impressed with either the speed or the life of the Stelvio tires. They
    certainly were not any faster than the fatter Vredestein S-Licks that I removed. And I found the
    side walls susceptible to cuts and tears from glass and gravel.

    When they were available, I liked the Schwalbe City Marathon. The current vintage of Schwalbe
    Marathons are listed at 50(!) and 67 EPI And these are no longer available in really narrow widths
    like 28-32mm. I have not tried the Marathon Slick (37-406, 37-559 and 67 EPI). I keep coming back to
    the Vred S-Slick. I have found nothing faster and the tires are durable and hold up well.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. Gene Cosloy

    Gene Cosloy Guest

    John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tom Blum wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I just changed my Speed Machine Clone to a 26" rear wheel with a Primo Comet 26x 1.50 tire.
    > > (from 700/20C). It looks good ands seems to be just a bit faster. (don't all changes have a
    > > placebo effect, though???)
    > >
    > > Nashbar has the Hutchinson Top Slick on sale in 26x 1.2 and 26x 1.2 sizes. It looks treadless
    > > and they "say" it's fast. No one ever mentions it here in this group.
    > >
    > > Jude or Zack: any opinion??
    > >
    > > I love deals, but hate bad deals.
    > >
    > I got two of them from Gnashbar. Specifics: They are a slick in the center, with herringbone
    > shoulders, and are blackwalls. I have the
    > 26x1.2 size and they are marked "recommended pressure 3.5 bars (50
    > psi) Max. pressure 6.4 bars (90 psi)" I don't have a good scale to weight them on, but the
    > unmounted one feels slightly lighter than a Vredestein 26x1.3 S-Lick.
    >
    > They look OK, in fact I got ones with the yellow shoulders, and they look pretty cool. But I'm not
    > deluding my self into thinking they're particularly great in the performance department. I am
    > using them as training tires. Better than tearing up a Stelvio on the mag trainer. For that
    > purpose, it (the currently mounted one) seems to be doing very well.
    Hi John, Since you mentioned it, shat's the deal with trainers and tires. Are they harder on tires
    than on road surfaces? If so, why is this? I'm riding my burley Taiko and BikeE NX on a Kurt Kenetic
    trainer and want to know if it is hard on tires then I will switch tires to something more
    affordable than my K based Primos. Thanks, Gene

  8. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Gene Cosloy wrote:

    > Hi John, Since you mentioned it, shat's the deal with trainers and tires. Are they harder on tires
    > than on road surfaces? If so, why is this? I'm riding my burley Taiko and BikeE NX on a Kurt
    > Kenetic trainer and want to know if it is hard on tires then I will switch tires to something more
    > affordable than my K based Primos.

    Yes, they are definitely harder on tires. I think it's because of forcing the tire past that small
    diameter roller, it flexes the tire more. When I'm finished riding the trainer, it's not uncommon to
    see little flakes of rubber around the room. I try to minimize the spring tension against the tire,
    but if I reduce it too much the flywheel slips.

    Since I don't use the trainer *that* much in the winter, I'm hoping to get some significant mileage
    on the Huchinsons as training tires. I expect they'll work fine for anything short of racing.

  9. Interesting. I've found Conti GP's to be a touch faster than S-Licks, and expect Stelvios to be a
    further improvement when I put them on the Speedmachine once the GP's have worn out. I already run
    them on the Baron, but they've been there from new, so I have no basis for comparison.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Does anyone have information on the TPI for the S-Lick tires? I checked their website and wasn't
    able to find any reference. Just curious.

    Don, Bacchetta Giro

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    > Since the TPI issue was raised by me I have been trying to determine the TPI of the various
    > casings. I remember 100 -150 from an older Schwalbe website. As best I can determine from the
    > German site and the NA site Schwalbe uses a term EPI (Ends per Inch) These numbers suggest the
    > Stelvio (67 EPI) is at least on par with the Nashbar Special.
    >
    > Perhaps I was somewhat optimistic in remembering the Stelvios at a TPI of well over
    > 100.
    >
    > Conti GP is listed on conti's website as 285TPI. I have had good service from the Conti GP that I
    > had on my Voyager.
    >
    > I have not been that impressed with either the speed or the life of the Stelvio tires. They
    > certainly were not any faster than the fatter Vredestein S-Licks that I removed. And I found the
    > side walls susceptible to cuts and tears from glass and gravel.
    >
    > When they were available, I liked the Schwalbe City Marathon. The current vintage of Schwalbe
    > Marathons are listed at 50(!) and 67 EPI And these are no longer available in really narrow widths
    > like 28-32mm. I have not tried the Marathon Slick (37-406, 37-559 and 67 EPI). I keep coming back
    > to the Vred S-Slick. I have found nothing faster and the tires are durable and hold up well.

  11. Steve Baker

    Steve Baker Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Here is one 'feature' that would give me serious doubts to this tire's quality: "66 TPI casing"
    >
    > Schwalbe Stelvios (IMO merely a so so tire) used to have listed on their web site a TPI of
    > somewhere between 100 & 125 or perhaps even greater.

    I bought several of the Hutchinsons on sale to go with the yellow/silver of the Windcheetah kit.
    (They look REALLY cool!) They are a previous year's model (2001, I think) and they have a thread
    count about twice that of the current models. They're light, slick, and, did I mention,
    cool-looking. I think they have great potential, but then riding season will tell the tale. (Yeah, I
    know, I'm a wimp.)