Tire kevlar liners...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hi all, I have been using a pair of Maxxis WormDrive for concret and somehow
    a bit rocky trail. And I got almost 10 spikes hitting my tire and 3 of them
    hit the tube. I got a flat and have to change the tire.
    I have been using Hutchson "green" inner tube, presta valve. I though it
    should be thick enough to avoid those punches. Instead, they don't work as
    well as I thought.
    One thing I'm wondering is, if the wormdrive is too low profile to the
    ground that the center of the tire touch the ground every seconds, kinda
    like a road bike. It is very fast ruynning tire, just that it is too easy to
    get punched.
    I'm thinking of Specialized tire liner, is that a good choice? anyone using
    it or use to using it?
    I need some advices on this...
    thanks,
    eRiC

    Tags:

  2. Eric wrote:

    > Hi all, I have been using a pair of Maxxis WormDrive for concret and somehow
    > a bit rocky trail. And I got almost 10 spikes hitting my tire and 3 of them
    > hit the tube. I got a flat and have to change the tire.
    > I have been using Hutchson "green" inner tube, presta valve. I though it
    > should be thick enough to avoid those punches. Instead, they don't work as
    > well as I thought.
    > One thing I'm wondering is, if the wormdrive is too low profile to the
    > ground that the center of the tire touch the ground every seconds, kinda
    > like a road bike. It is very fast ruynning tire, just that it is too easy to
    > get punched.
    > I'm thinking of Specialized tire liner, is that a good choice? anyone using
    > it or use to using it?
    > I need some advices on this...
    > thanks,
    > eRiC

    ever tried Slime?

    dave

  3. hobby

    hobby Guest

    I'm not a competitive cyclist; but, I ride several days a week on a year
    round basis in the Mountains of West Texas. Used to have a lot of flats
    and tried Slime, etc. Finally put in the kevlar liners and have not had a
    flat on my bike or my wifes for almost a year.

    Tom

  4. The Maxis worm drive is a very thin tire .Yes it roll fast but is thin .I
    use the same tire for days when the trail is dry and fast.Some people say
    that tire liners rubbed a hole in the tire.That could be true and the are
    heavy.You might try a more thicker tire and or slime { but if you still get
    flats then the tire is too thin for your riding}I have a set of Bontrager
    Revolt super X's Kind of light they hook up good and roll fast {small
    knobs}.If im riding street then jack up the pressure and go .
    Good luck

  5. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > of flats and tried Slime, etc. Finally put in the kevlar liners and
    > have not had a flat on my bike or my wifes for almost a year.

    If you're getting flats on your wife, that's something the doctor can help
    you guys with...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training