Tire Levers

C

Cletus D . Lee

Just after New Years, I swapped tires on my Lightning. The 406 front wheel has a Velocity razor rim
on a Chris King Hub. The tire I removed was my touring tire used this summer in Denmark and new
before that trip. The tire I replaced it with was a new Conti GP. I broke 4 levers getting either
the Vred tire off or the Conti onto the rim. The broken levers were labeled 'ProPatch' or a Made In
Holland brand labeled 'Dremefa'(?) I also tried some Park Plastic levers that were useless and bent
rather than lever the bead off of the rim.

Now I know that different rim/tire combinations can be problematic. But I am willing to accept this
for at least as long as I have these (expensive) rims. I like both the Continental and the
Vredesteins and each works well for my purposes - touring or going fast. I think I know and use most
of the tricks for getting a tire mounted or unmounted. Most of the time, I never need a tire lever
to mount a tire.

I would like some suggestions of some 'never fail' tire levers. I don't think metal levers will work
without damaging the rim. I would like something suitable for packing with a patch kit.

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Hmm thats a tough one. I use metal tire levers with my S-Licks and I get dents in the alu rims.
Looks awful but I doubt it harms the rim. Something tougher than plastic but softer than aluminium.

Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" skrev...
> Hmm thats a tough one. I use metal tire levers with my S-Licks and I get dents in the alu rims.
> Looks awful but I doubt it harms the rim. Something tougher than plastic but softer than
> aluminium.

Okay I'm talking to myself again but metal tire levers with a bit of plastic or similar ductttaped
to the offending part of them (there the lever presses on the rim) might do the trick. I will try
this next time.

Mikael

Cletus D. Lee wrote:

> Just after New Years, I swapped tires on my Lightning. The 406 front wheel has a Velocity razor
> rim on a Chris King Hub. The tire I removed was my touring tire used this summer in Denmark and
> new before that trip. The tire I replaced it with was a new Conti GP. I broke 4 levers getting
> either the Vred tire off or the Conti onto the rim. The broken levers were labeled 'ProPatch' or a
> Made In Holland brand labeled 'Dremefa'(?) I also tried some Park Plastic levers that were useless
> and bent rather than lever the bead off of the rim.
>
> Now I know that different rim/tire combinations can be problematic. But I am willing to accept
> this for at least as long as I have these (expensive) rims. I like both the Continental and the
> Vredesteins and each works well for my purposes - touring or going fast. I think I know and use
> most of the tricks for getting a tire mounted or unmounted. Most of the time, I never need a tire
> lever to mount a tire.
>
> I would like some suggestions of some 'never fail' tire levers. I don't think metal levers will
> work without damaging the rim. I would like something suitable for packing with a patch kit.

I have not used the Kool Stop "Tire Bead Jack" [1], but it has been recommended by other for
difficult to mount/dismount tires.

IIRC, some Velocity Razor rims were recalled for having a bead seat diameter slightly larger
than 406-mm.

[1] <http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html> (second item from the bottom of the page)

Tom Sherman - Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Cletus D. Lee wrote:
> >
> > I would like some suggestions of some 'never fail' tire levers. I don't think metal levers will
> > work without damaging the rim. I would like something suitable for packing with a patch kit.
>
> I have not used the Kool Stop "Tire Bead Jack" [1], but it has been recommended by other for
> difficult to mount/dismount tires.

> [1] <http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html> (second item from the bottom of the page)

Thanks, that looks like it might actually help in getting the tire onto the rim. More importantly to
me is something that will get the tire off.

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:38:50 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I broke 4 levers getting either the Vred tire off or the Conti onto the rim.

There's plastic levers and plastic levers, IME. I have a very old set of no-name plastic levers
which have outlasted three more expensive sets and still work on my 406 rims with Vredesteins
and Stelvios.

I have also bent metal levers before now with a tight bead on a 700c wheel. But they were cheap.

I never use a lever to mount a tyre, as every time I try I end up killing the tube. So I work around
and get the bead in the bottom of the rim, deflating the partially-inflated tube where necessary.
I've tried the various magic tools and really don't get on with them (though others do).

In extremis the old standby of a spoon handle (of a really thick handled old serving spoon) can
work wonders.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

My apologies if this is a repeat of another message that I might or might not have sent. I use the
Kool Stop Tire Jack Bead tool that Tom mentions in an earlier message. It's great. It makes getting
S-licks on my Stratus MUCH LESS of a hassle than without using it. While it's not small, I care it
on my bike. Speaking of S-licks. The black-walled, made in Holland S-licks were great. However, I've
had problems with the reflective side-walled, made in Indonesia S-licks. Specifically, the edges of
the tires tear. I had to throw one away, but was able to salvage the second when the tear was small
by reinforcing it with a Park tire boot. So, I'm switching to Schwalbe Marathon slicks. Anyone else
have problems with the new S-Licks? paul

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just after New Years, I swapped tires on my Lightning. The 406 front wheel has a Velocity razor
> rim on a Chris King Hub. The tire I removed was my touring tire used this summer in Denmark and
> new before that trip. The tire I replaced it with was a new Conti GP. I broke 4 levers getting
> either the Vred tire off or the Conti onto the rim. The broken levers were labeled 'ProPatch' or a
> Made In Holland brand labeled 'Dremefa'(?) I also tried some Park Plastic levers that were useless
> and bent rather than lever the bead off of the rim.
>
> Now I know that different rim/tire combinations can be problematic. But I am willing to accept
> this for at least as long as I have these (expensive) rims. I like both the Continental and the
> Vredesteins and each works well for my purposes - touring or going fast. I think I know and use
> most of the tricks for getting a tire mounted or unmounted. Most of the time, I never need a tire
> lever to mount a tire.
>
> I would like some suggestions of some 'never fail' tire levers. I don't think metal levers will
> work without damaging the rim. I would like something suitable for packing with a patch kit.